Model Cars Magazine Forum

63 Pro Mod Vette.......Updated 09/28/14

1320wayne

Cool build Wayne, very original on the color scheme, another great 1/16 model comes to life!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Dave. The build is 1/25th scale however, not 1/16th scale. As impressive as a lot of these 16th scale builds are on here I have never had any interest in building at that size.

O.K., so I'm really starting to move the needle on this one. I guess it helps to be on vacation this week so I get some extra time at the bench.

Problem number one. Learn some patience when it comes to these scratchbuilt wonders so that you have the chassis and engine laid out and mocked up before you get into the paint. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in what the final piece could look like I get ahead of myself and make things more challenging than they need to be. The RG engine needs more room than I provided in the original designed resin body. I had to break out the Dremel and carefully open the hood scoop area more for the engine to fit. All's well so far but now I will need to add a new, wider hood bulge and be able to paint it and have it blend in with what is already done. It should work out just fine but I hate extra work that's not needed if I just planned these things out better.

Anyway, the engine mockup is coming along and fits in the framerails just right. I will be using a TEM bellhousing along with a TEM three speed Lenco. The nitrous bottles are also from TEM and as Tyrone had mentioned in his Camaro thread about fuel cells, I wish that I had loaded up on these before Chris shut down operations as they are pretty good tanks.

DSC09744-vi.jpg

DSC09745-vi.jpg

DSC09746-vi.jpg

DSC09747-vi.jpg

DSC09748-vi.jpg

DSC09749-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Wayne, you are a bigger man than I am... I don't think I could have brought myself to cut the nose off and the hole in the hood after painting it. :D :D Nice job on getting that front nose cut off with no casualties to the paint!

Those Ross Gibson blocks are sure nice, but some times I think they create more work for us.

Looking good Wayne, I don't know how I missed this last update.. It's looking good buddy... My next project after I finish this one up, and the Nova, is a 57 chevy I got.. It will be a blown engine this time... I want to try another one of those... but the chassis this time will be all scratch built

Edited by tyrone

Looks really nice, Wayne. I just found this thread - sorry for being late to the dance.

I'm following this now.

Whose engine are you using?

He's using a RG (Ross Gibson) engine, Ross's engines are really good, I have 5 of them, the BBC Next Generation Semi Hemi (Nitrous), a Ford Pro-Mod Hemi (Nitrous)a RoadHammer (Mopar) Hemi (Blown) a B-1 Pro-Stock/Pro-Mod (which I misplaced & can't find!LOL!) & a McGee T/F motor.

Scott, go to my builds that I have posted (ADRL Pro-Nitrous Cars), I have pics of the 2 engines I'll be putting in my builds, I also have the Nitrous Fuel Cell from TEM pictured under the Nova & Comet stuff, also the Nitrous Bottles, Air Bottles, Bellhousings & Transmissions pictured are TEM.

• 1 month later...

O.K., so I can't sit back and let everyone else have all of the Pro Mod fun so I figured it was time to get back to this and stick with it to the end.

The last update, back in March, I had to open the scoop area for the engine to fit better. Well, I was able to create a bew hood bulge area and seal up the hole. I still have a little bit of work to get some more rounded edges on this new area and then it will be ready for the scoop to be mounted. Instead of trying to paint it and get the orange to blend in I will most likely add carbon fiber decals to this new area as a contrast.

Also, this past weekend I was able to travel to South Carolina for a show, and to visit family and to stop at Chris Buck's house and pick up all of the supplies to possible re-start the Top End Miniatures business sometime down the road. Along with all of the body and parts molds, RTV and resin casting supplies, pressure pots and more Renshape than I know what to do with, I also acquired a number of parts and all of the masters for so many pieces molded for the business. Along with these parts was a set of wheelie bars that Chris designed that were going to be cast at one time but after careful consideration, decided that it would be too tough to cast something so delicate. So, the wheelie bars will be used on this build and look pretty awesome and they attach perfectly to the TEM resin cast rear end housing. I am attaching all of this with Scale Hardware nuts and bolts.

Thanks for looking and I will have many more updates soon to follow.

DSC00414-vi.jpg

DSC00415-vi.jpg

DSC00416-vi.jpg

DSC00417-vi.jpg

Wayne... its great to see you back on this build man. It sure looks great. Your addition with the carbon fiber is just going to pop. The wheelie bars turned out great too. Seeing everyone working on Pro Mod builds is making me want to start mine so bad.