Model Cars Magazine Forum

In San Francisco, the Liberty ship S.S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN is docked permanently as a floating museum. It's been restored to look like it did during it's WWII days. In the front cargo hold, they have a diorama of post D-Day Normandy (@ Omaha beach) where the O'Brien was part of the supply effort. I took a bunch of pictures and since some of you seem to be into the military stuff, I thought that I would share. Below are a few and a link to my photobucket album if you'd like to check out more. I didn't build any of this, just wanted to share. I wasn't sure quite where to put this, so Mod's feel free to move this to Diorama's if you feel necessary.

There was no scale posted and some of the vehicles might vary. The trucks to me look smaller than 1/25 but not quite 1/32 I don't think. This was a large set up though for sure. A lot of great detail. Sorry my pictures arn't any better; it's hard to photo through glass. Enjoy folks. ;)

Link to album

DSCN3643.jpg

DSCN3635.jpg

DSCN3632.jpg

DSCN3626.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ryan,

I've been reading a book titled D-Day, by Stephen E Ambrose which is a historical account of the events and planning leading up to the invasion.

As I read the book, the picture in my mind is of your diorama.

It is simply amazing work.

My father was a member of 467SQN RAAF. He was a bomb aimer in Lancasters during that period.

On the 6/7th June '44, he was on a sortie flying over Omaha (at night) when the canopy of the Lancaster became iced over. The pilot reported that he would have to descend out of the bomber stream into warmer air because the glycol wouldn't squirt through the nozzle to clear away the ice.

They descended from 18000ft to approx 8000ft to witness what was going on below them. Dad said never again would that happen in history, and here he was circling above it.

After the ice had cleared from the canopy they went after the bomber stream. Thousands of Lancasters had swept through the area just minutes before, but Dad spotted a radio mast still standing and told the pilot to head toward it.

The Lancaster emptied its payload on the run up, and through the radio mast. Another Panzer division without contact. Job done. Head for home.

• 2 weeks later...