Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 camaro build

bill w

It's been a while since I posted anything, this project has been giving me a difficult time, seems every part I work on gives me trouble. I finally

finished the grill which was more difficult than I thought it would be. Anyway here are some pics.

IMG_0456-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_0452-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_0457-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_0458-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_0460-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thanks for looking Bill

This is the first time I have seen this thread and man this build is IMPRESSIVE!!! Bill you have some skills and this build is blowing my mind. This is just gorgeous. I will be following this for sure. looking forward to your next update. I am totally blown away at this build.

When I first looked at this thread I didn't click on that first link. I never realized that this model is completely scratch-built!

"Amazing" doesn't even come close to describing this. I have a lot of questions, but the one I want answered the most is how did you make the body? Is is fiberglass? Vacu-formed? I saw your 3-D "wireframe" form, but how did you translate that into the actual body shell?

Thanks guys, this is fun to do but sometimes it gets the best of me!

OK Harry, first lots and lots of measuring. I did five attempts at making the body including a vac-formed body. I built radio controlled air planes and thought

why not build the body like a fuselage, with bulkheads or cross-sections. I practiced making a Corvette body, that was my first choice for a 1/8 build. I needed a

full size car to measure but Corvettes are very expensive. Heres a pic of the Vette, it's all balsa wood cross-sections covered 1/16" balsa strips. When sanded

smooth I covered it with 6oz. fiberglass, then I broke away all the cross-sections on the inside and covered with 6oz. glass on the inside and the shell is finished

except for sanding. The Vette was never finished but thats the process.

IMG_0463-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_0464-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The Camaro was done the same way with the exception of carving a bass wood body and cutting up a 1/25 body. When you scale a small body to 1/8 scale it dose get

distorted a lot, when I did mine the first time it was all by hand, I didn't get a computer until 1996 and didn't learn it until 1997. Now I do all my drawings

in Illustrator.

IMG_0461-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_0462-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I hope this shed some light on how I made the body. I do have a real 69 Camaro in my garage that I use for measuring.

Bill

Amazing. Astounding, actually. I can only imagine the hours of work you have invested in this model so far.

One more question: How do you keep up your interest? I mean, personally I'm always gung-ho when I start a new model, but the longer I work on it, the more restless I get and wish I was further along... and usually I'll get to the point where I get bored with it and put it away and start something new. And too often that half-built model sits for years before I'll pull it out and work on it again. Sometimes I'll never pull it out again.

So how do you keep yourself motivated? Are you building this straight through, start to finish, with no other projects going at the same time?

Yes Harry I am building this without doing any other projects. Occasionally I will make a part for someone... but I do get discouraged a lot, and say why did I

even start this. There are so many different parts... if I get tired of something I'll set it aside and start a different part, sometimes it's a year or more

before I go back to a part. And when it's been that long you forget what you did and start all over. And Sometimes no matter how discouraged I am I will continue working, I think that if you push on and get past whatever the problem is you will get a burst of encouragement and finish the part. And then there are times that

things are going so well I never want stop. Many times I wanted to quit but friends talked me out of it. Another problem I have, when I'm working on a specific

part I think I can't make the part without making a corresponding part to go with it. And the project grows.

Bill

Oh jumpin' fatman, get me my cape.......... :o :blink:

Bill, this thing is AMAZING !!.....No, no, wait....................INCREDIBLY AMAZING !!

LOVE how the grill and headlights come up, they look good enough to go into a 1:1 resto. B) B) B)

Edited by stump

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bill,

I don't know how I missed ths thread, but I'm thoroughly astounded by not only the quality of the work you've done, but also on the level of detail that each and every part has received. I want to ask sort of a tag-on question to the one Harry P raised earlier - how have you made so many of the smaller parts, such as the wire harness connectors and such. They look too perfect to be hand-made (maybe they are, and if so, it only shows that level of your ability, too) so am wondering if they're pieces produced on a rapid prototype printer. I don't think there are words to truly describe this project. There are lots of great builders. I pay special attention to the drag car builds, and there's lots of great detail building going on with them but the detail in so many of your parts that are intricate in their shape and size is nearly beyond my ability to comprehend. I will definitely keep my eye on this build in the future!

Thanks Bill, it's always slow going when scratch building. I am making progress, but before I post any pics I want to make sure I have enough things

finished. I'm getting close to finishing up the engine compartment and will be posting pics soon.

Hi Scott and thanks for the nice words. I make every part from scratch, then I mold and cast resin parts. I don't care much for rapid prototype process,

I worked a lot with SLA parts at my work and they take a lot of work to make them look good. The harness connectors are made from styrene sheets and rod, all are

cut with my X-acto knife. Thanks for looking!

Bill

Bill; I scratch build but nothing to the level you can do. You're down right amazing. We both use styrene, glue and some other stuff so that's not any secret. Maybe your diet, What you eat or the music you listen to must be it; please tell us.LOL. Seriously, though I am very impressed with your knowledge of the subject and the skills you have in building these cars. Ken