Model Cars Magazine Forum

2011 USAC NonWing Sprint Car

My newest project is a USAC sprinter. I drew the plans and started on it but now have to wait for more material that I ordered. I'm doing the tires a little different using styrene sheet, no water pipe anymore. With these cars, you have to get the right rear correct or it will never look right..101_1899.jpg101_1903.jpg

Edited by Old Sprinter

i just joined here today and saw your sprintcar it looks awesome.i saw that you posted it at scale sprints. ive been a member overthere for years and i know they will love it.there is a great bunch guys at scale sprints you will enjoy them.its a bunch of guys who not only love to build sprints but it is are favorite form of racing.i have a section on my fotki that is full of reference pics if you want to take a look.i also have some build but they are 1/24 scale.looking forward to whatching this build. http://public.fotki.com/shang31/

Welcome Lou and I'm a huge sprint car fan also. Your cars are down right amazing. I don't know how you can get such detail in a car that small, but you do a masterful job of it. I have to build two more sprinters after this and one of those is a Beast chassis that Tracy Hines drives ( pavement car). I was finding it difficult to get info on those frames, but now with your build and reference photos I can build that Beast next. Thanks. Ken

More fantastic work Ken. Did you ever get all of the decals to finish your late model?

Yea, I did but I haven't put them on yet. Maybe in the next few days I'll finish the stock car off but I got into this sprinter and put everything else on hold for a week or so. Ken

Thank you guys. Kane, the tires are made with styrene sheet and painted. I wish I could cast them. TDR sells dirt car tires and rims with a beadlock but they're the same size and with a sprinter you need a ton of stagger so the tires are different sizes. Hey Bart I finally figured out which picture and what the thing was you were talking about.To the right of the frame, in the first picture, is the beginning of the tail tank. I made that out of poster board and covered it with fiberglass and it's the tank you see in the other pictures. Those things have a lot of compound curves going on so I find it easier to form it like you do an airplane model so both sides are the same. Ken

Edited by Old Sprinter

Ken, I echo Joe's thoughts....man, you work fast. :) But I can tell, you have put plenty of hours into it. B)

I sure admire your dedication and perseverance...I wish I could get obsessed enough to get more done on my builds. :( Keep at it mate.

Wow, Ken! That's looking great.

Any chance you'll bring it or any of your other builds up to Phoenix on Apri 21 for the Desert Scale Classic? We'd love to see your work on the tables! Just can't get enough open wheelers, you know.

B)