Model Cars Magazine Forum

What if...?

Harry P.

Another one from the "just kidding" department:40edsel.jpg

Not too far from what some of the "Metal Butchers" 'er "Customizers" of the late 50's, early 60's were trying. They saw the Edsel grill/surround for what it was, just didn't apply it brilliantly at times. Go back and look through some of the "Little" mostly East Coast Customs magazines we're featuring in show coverage and feature cars. Funny thing too, many feel that the unmolested front end of the Forty Ford Standard and DeLuxe were Ford's best executed fat fendered car, it's also seen some pretty bizarre things done to it as well! Hard to improve on an icon, tongue in cheek or not!

• 5 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Lots of cool design. I remeber taking part in the StylingSNAFUS thread on that other forum some 13-14 years back in time.
I don't have Photoshop, had GIMP back in the day but I have forgotten how I did it. But maybe someone here is willing to help me out?

Here is a What-if that I have planned and started on a bit in 1:24 scale:
81F124(1).jpeg.c09a8dbfec8a4c3bddb1721a9ded7e05.jpeg
The Mercedes Benz C107 SLC, never such a big success as the smaller "Dallas-moped"  R107 SL, but what if Mercedes did a wagon instead of a coupe, a 2-door sports coupe of sorts maybe?
I have the Esci kit and started the conversion work some years ago but the project stalled.

And here is another one that I have planned a have done a little work on in plastic, the first generation Bronco:
9504824-1966-ford-bronco-std.jpg
A strange creation this, only one base body, one wheelbase and very few options. Only available as a half-cab pickup (seen over here) or the full-cab "wagon" (SUV?) and the rare roadster.
Ford, a big company that only a couple of years prior to the Bronco had launched the Mustang, a car with an almost endless list of options.
Later generation Broncos where based on the bigger F-series pickups and then they launched the Bronco II based on the smaller Ranger pickup platform.

So what if there was a "Ranger" pickup in the 60s?
Imagine the truck pictured over here with a longer wheelbase (108" instead of 92") and longer overhang at the back and maybe also available as a 2wd.
Then one can take it further, Chevy had the Suburban and later Blazer, Dodge had the Town Panel and later Ramcharger but International-Harvester had a full range in the 60s with the pickups, Travellall and Scout.
So what if Ford had made a longer wheelbase Bronco wagon?
Same wheel base as the pickup (108") but with a full length roof. Available as both 2wd and 4wd.
This is a project that I have done minimal work on in plastic. I got two Revell Bronco kits and have started to measure out and mark where to cut but have not cut any plastic yet. I'm also using the 2wd frame from the AMT 95 Ford Ranger with the twin I-beam suspension up front.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:50 AM, Atmobil said:

..... what if Mercedes did a wagon instead of a coupe, a 2-door sports coupe of sorts maybe? I have the Esci kit and started the conversion work some years ago but the project stalled ....

Got me thinking about that myself, but after doing a couple of quick 'n dirty photo alterations, I'm reminded of why pro stylists get the big bucks. No offense to myself, I'm not especially liking the way these turned out. Was aiming more for a Volvo P1800ES look with the first attempt, but tried a more AMC Pacer fishbowl look on the second. Then again, as seen in this other guy's similar 1:1 alteration, maybe these particular MBs just don't easily lend themselves to wagon versions too well. If you can make your version look way better, that would be great!

1914939616_MBshootingbrake.jpg.3c707877b8a4fd08ea76fb3f9f329ef5.jpg

5 hours ago, Russell C said:

Got me thinking about that myself, but after doing a couple of quick 'n dirty photo alterations, I'm reminded of why pro stylists get the big bucks. No offense to myself, I'm not especially liking the way these turned out. Was aiming more for a Volvo P1800ES look with the first attempt, but tried a more AMC Pacer fishbowl look on the second. Then again, as seen in this other guy's similar 1:1 alteration, maybe these particular MBs just don't easily lend themselves to wagon versions too well. If you can make your version look way better, that would be great!

Nice effort, it is better than what I can do with a computer these days. I was also thinking of the Volvo 1800ES but more as competition or inspiration.
I was thinking of getting the back end to look more like a W123 wagon, thinner roofpillars at the back and a flat rear screen.
Mercedes-Benz_W123_T-Modell_rear_2009043

The planned model project is the ESCI kit 450SLC and using the hard top from the Monogram W107 SL
$_86.jpg

monogram-24-scale-mercedes-450-sl-kit_36

The C-pillar on the SLC is to big to make it look good as a wagon I think.

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

The 1/1 version looks to have been shortened too, the gap between the rear arch and door is much shorter. Maybe it would work better if it was the stock length instead but it may be a chassis swap, those look a lot like vw/audi wheels

The one that Russell linked to over here is actually base on the shorter SL:
xmercedes-benz-300-sl-r107-white-weiss-w

And it looks like they builder has used the hardtop and just moved it back:
mercedes-benz-450sl-wagon.jpg

Then, let's not forget the Crayford built Condor:
tumblr_noj9b49rBX1ti77kbo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Atmobil

On 8/24/2019 at 12:25 PM, Atmobil said:

Nice effort, it is better than what I can do with a computer these days. I was also thinking of the Volvo 1800ES but more as competition or inspiration.
I was thinking of getting the back end to look more like a W123 wagon, thinner roofpillars at the back and a flat rear screen.

The planned model project is the ESCI kit 450SLC and using the hard top from the Monogram W107 SL

Ooops, I guess you need the floorpan then that I haven't sent you yet after....five years. ?

On 8/24/2019 at 12:36 AM, Russell C said:

IMHO uglier and ugliest.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi!

There is great imagination here, coupled to mastery of image software. So...

I wonder how you guys would update the first generation Javelin, to adapt it to the 21st century? 

Make me dream, please! I always found the original design to be restrained and timeless, whereas the second generation was a bloated exercise. So let's stick to first gen...

CT