Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can we see some scratchbuilt things?

mopar68

MSD unit. Mostly aluminum. A couple-few dozen parts and some wires and custom decals. Even has the shock absorbing mounts.

DSC09986C.jpg

Fire extinguisher.

DSC09266.jpg

Wheel(s). The tire is kit sourced, the wheel including valve stem and core is 100% scratch.

DSC00008.jpg

How about a can of tire sealer? The bottom of the can has the code printed on it and there is a core in the valve too.

DSC09366.jpg

DSC09370.jpg

Alternator. 42 individually scratchbuilt parts if I recall correctly...

DSC09889.jpg

DSC09892.jpg

Edited by Scale-Master

This project has been stalled for 10 years!!! It started out as a 1/12 Roush Racing IMSA GTO Cougar. I have failed a number of times to build a body I was happy with....so here it sits.

Chassis is all Evergreen and Plastruct plastic. Some Grandt line NBW castings. Suspension works with working coil overs. Engine started as a small block Chevy with all detail removed from block, re detailed as a SBF and new heads and valve covers made and cast in resin. Lots of turned aluminum pulleys etc.

I NEED to work on this again....... :(

COUGAR.jpg

A mundane coolant cap...

DSC00527.jpg

A gauge set of Auto Meter Ultralite series. Everything is scratchbuilt including the lenses. I created the gauge faces and the needles are parts mounted on pins, not decals...

DSC00301C.jpg

Three row radiator. Mostly made of aluminum, some brass, some steel for the core. 67 pieces make up the shell, core, core support, fittings/hardware, cap and petcock.

DSC09448.jpg

DSC09450.jpg

Steering wheel. Around 20 parts. Mostly aluminum. I broached the splines into the receiver so they match the splines on the column. The red button on the right is for the nitrous. Even made a plastic wire guide to keep the switch wires from dangling loose, yes, that's a phillips head. (Note the stitching on the faux leather grip.)

DSC09402.jpg

DSC094055.jpg

Wow guys, all this work is just incredible!! Truly unbelievable folks, there's some serious talent in here :blink:

Yea Luke, I have to get back to that soon :D

A gauge set of Auto Meter Ultralite series. Everything is scratchbuilt including the lenses. I created the gauge faces and the needles are parts mounted on pins, not decals...

DSC00301C.jpg

:o Seriously, how is that even possible?! :huh:

Edited by mopar68

this is a build of my buddies car an 06 roush w/a turbo 800 hp w/a 347 stroked 4.6L

heres his car..

IMAG0195-1.jpg

and heres the kit

modded and scartched the bumber an hood.

2012-07-11191041.jpg

opend the door added jams..

2012-08-05203318.jpg

modded the raer bumper

2012-07-23205227.jpg

bumper done..

2012-07-16175933.jpg..

Edited by mopar01lee

Here some of mine...

This is a Fiat 643N Fire Truck, that my dad had in his Fire Station in Italy. It is 1/24 scale and it is all scratch built except the wheels and tires, that I mold and casted in resin using tires from a kit.

The ladder move all around and goes up and down. The wheels turns.

80vi.jpg

62vi.jpg

86vi.jpg

The real truck.

autoscala.jpg

This was a '69 Charger... The cockpit is still from the Charger, the rest not... :D

16vis.jpg

This was a Revell '31 Woody Wagon... The back is converted into a Boattail style, dashboard and also doors are scratchbuilt, also some part of the engine.

23vik.jpg

The camper and interior, chassis are scratch built.

12vi.jpg

This was a '71 Cuda... The back door open.

15vii.jpg

Here's my scratchbuilt stuff, a full wooden bed floor made from Basswood, some styrene strips for the reatining straps, tiny little bolts for the straps, and some straight pins for the fender bolts. Next are the scratch made tail lights with straightpin "Blue Dots", and a gas filler neck and cap made from aluminum tubing and some sprue.

The entire bed floor (Top and bottom) is all wood, I made a duplicate of the plastic bed floor for the bottom side with all the proper mounting tabs, cut strips for the top side, stained it all and put it together!
50ChevyPU221-vi.jpg

The new tail light lenses are some Red plastic I got from an old motion detector I replaced at work one day....
50ChevyPU291-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU292-vi.jpg

This is simply two different sizes of aluminum tubing fit together for the filler neck, and the cap was the same tubing with a piece of sprue shoved into it and shaped. I added a very fine piece of wire to the cap and ran it down the filler neck so the tiny little cap wouldn't get lost on me!
50ChevyPU028-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU031-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU116-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU117-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

This is in 1/35 scale and it is a SPA Dovunque 33, an Italian military truck. It is completely scratch built.

dovunque33vi.jpg

This is a A7V Elfriede, a WWI German tank scratchbuilt in 1/160. The soldier I bough it.

a7v53vi.jpg

This is a Armored Lancia 3ro, used in Italy during WWII. It is all scratch built in 1/24. Turret move up and down, and rotare 360, the doors open, and the wheels turn.

38vi.jpg

46vi.jpg

The body of this VW is scratchbuilt, the chassis is from the kit.

31vi.jpg

This sidecar is in 1/9, is all scratch built except the engine, that is modified from a HD.

43vi.jpg

I can post more later. :)

Brizio, you are GOOD! I'm just starting to scracthbuild stuff, I've still got a long way to go before I tackle some of the things you've done, bravo!

Thank you Mike! Time and exercise will take you to any level you want! And if I can help you in someway, let me know, I will be more than glad! :)

Some of you have seen this in action up close and personal, but here's a completely scratchbuilt working top frame for a '64 GTO I was building years ago. I've since abandoned the model as there were other issues that would involve totally taking the model apart, and I just lost the ambition.

DCP_2622-vi.jpg

DCP_2623-vi.jpg

DCP_2624-vi.jpg

DCP_2625-vi.jpg

DSCN2305vi-vi.jpg

I used an original shop manual to get the hard points made..............then just shrunk the details down to suit things for 1/24 scale. I probably won't ever have this in the model if I ever rebuild it-------just wanted to prove something to myself that an in scale working top frame can be done. ;) BTW, I still have the top frame, and it still folds up as well as it did when I built it back in 2003-04.