Model Cars Magazine Forum

69' Chevy Nova Build.

Byron5150

Looks good...

I saw your post that you had issues with getting the Rally Sports to fit, here's a pic of a COPO I built last year using some Rally's ...

post-11766-0-56195300-1406103442_thumb.j

You're a brave man spraying lacquer over Krylon ....

I usually use Duplicolor primer sealer when using lacquer paints...

I've gotten away a couple times with pure luck spraying lacquer over the color place primer...

I do gotta say I love Krylon paints, I've never had issues with their paints...

Nice tip with the tape to hold the glass... I'm gonna do that from now on... Thanks...

Looks good...

I saw your post that you had issues with getting the Rally Sports to fit, here's a pic of a COPO I built last year using some Rally's ...

image.jpg

You're a brave man spraying lacquer over Krylon ....

I usually use Duplicolor primer sealer when using lacquer paints...

I've gotten away a couple times with pure luck spraying lacquer over the color place primer...

I do gotta say I love Krylon paints, I've never had issues with their paints...

Nice tip with the tape to hold the glass... I'm gonna do that from now on... Thanks...

Yea I wanted the rally's but I think I'm gonna save them for another project as I'm not the best and modding things. Lol

As with the paint I let it dry completely, and the primer used is a laquer. But Tamiya's are synthetic lacquer it's like they have different properties in away.

I could have not used primer but I haven't done that in awhile.

Glad you like that tip. The front window fell off so I'll have to re apply it after I paint the inside of the body interior.

Btw great weathering on that, it looks amazing!

Stay Frosty,

Byron

Edited by Byron5150

Hi Byron, your Nova is looking good. Just a tip for setting glass that always seems to work for me.. I use a good quality 2 part 5 minute epoxy to install glass.. The better quality stuff that you get at hobby stores dries clear and doesnt seem to yellow like the hardware store stuff does. And because it takes up to 5 minutes to set up, it gives you a little ajustment time, you could even use the 30 minute stuff for more working time. I usually tape my glass into place, mix up some epoxy and then with a toothpick lightly apply it along the inner edge where the glass meets the body on the inside of the interior. Yes, you got to be a little careful when applying it as to make sure you dont get too much where you dont want it, and you got to work with it before it starts to get stringy, but if you get a tiny bit on the glass that you need to clean off before it totally sets up you can use a wet q-tip to remove it with.. takes a little practice and you have to work a little quick before it sets up, but it holds like a bear. And if you do happen to get a little bit on the glass and it dries on you before you remove it, a blunt tipped round toothpick will lossen and remove it without scratching the glass. At least this is how it works for me. I even use it sometimes on my dash gage area to make decent looking clear lenses.

Hi Byron, your Nova is looking good. Just a tip for setting glass that always seems to work for me.. I use a good quality 2 part 5 minute epoxy to install glass.. The better quality stuff that you get at hobby stores dries clear and doesnt seem to yellow like the hardware store stuff does. And because it takes up to 5 minutes to set up, it gives you a little ajustment time, you could even use the 30 minute stuff for more working time. I usually tape my glass into place, mix up some epoxy and then with a toothpick lightly apply it along the inner edge where the glass meets the body on the inside of the interior. Yes, you got to be a little careful when applying it as to make sure you dont get too much where you dont want it, and you got to work with it before it starts to get stringy, but if you get a tiny bit on the glass that you need to clean off before it totally sets up you can use a wet q-tip to remove it with.. takes a little practice and you have to work a little quick before it sets up, but it holds like a bear. And if you do happen to get a little bit on the glass and it dries on you before you remove it, a blunt tipped round toothpick will lossen and remove it without scratching the glass. At least this is how it works for me. I even use it sometimes on my dash gage area to make decent looking clear lenses.

Thanks man for the tip and a well good explanation of it. I have a new i'm gonna try for both. But I will definitely use this tip at some point!!

Cheers,

Byron

Edited by Byron5150

Wow that's some shiny paint! When I attach glass in, I first use Elmer's White Glue and tack the corners and the middle of the glass to the body. After that, I use Testor's Clear Glue for glass (The one that is white and then drys clear and has a purple label) to go fully around the window. I paint the headliner before I install the glass, so I don't have the chance ever of getting the paint on the glass. Hope to see this under glass soon! Cheers!

Wow that's some shiny paint! When I attach glass in, I first use Elmer's White Glue and tack the corners and the middle of the glass to the body. After that, I use Testor's Clear Glue for glass (The one that is white and then drys clear and has a purple label) to go fully around the window. I paint the headliner before I install the glass, so I don't have the chance ever of getting the paint on the glass. Hope to see this under glass soon! Cheers!

Thanks bro

Update got the interior tub done. My budget for this car is done. And I didn't want to hand paint the whole tub so I left it in the primer white. I may still go in and do some small detailing but it's pretty much done.

The windows were glued back in with tamiya cement. Works pretty well if you lightly brush it on. The headliner is painted as well pics of that later, underside of good and hinges are painted semi gloss black. Pics of that later, here we are car should be done by tomorrow maybe.

Cheers,

Byron

post-10664-0-42584400-1406586410_thumb.j

post-10664-0-49392300-1406586420_thumb.j

Interior looks great. That will look sharp with the green. Is that green carpet I see? Don't forget to paint your door handles! B)

I decided to not detail the inside. This is also going to be a closed hood model. But as for green carpet no, that is just black overspray from painting the opposite fire wall side.

I left it like that because it almost looked like simulated carpet

Edited by Byron5150

I decided to not detail the inside. This is also going to be a closed hood model. But as for green carpet no, that is just black overspray from painting the opposite fire wall side.

I left it like that because it almost looked like simulated carpet

It does look like carpet, sometimes flocking looks too big, sometimes too small... Are you going to glue the hood shut, what do you mean as a closed hood model?

It does look like carpet, sometimes flocking looks too big, sometimes too small... Are you going to glue the hood shut, what do you mean as a closed hood model?

By closed hood I mean by I'm not gonna prop the hood. I screwed the fan belt assembly and I don't feel like fixing it. I'll show pics but for the most part the model will have it's hood on.

Model is basically done just gotta ad one more decal.

Cheers,

Byron

Edited by Byron5150