martinfan5

74 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay for a premium memebership

• Yes
    • No
    • None of the above, I dont really care
    • Monkeys are cool
    • Whats for dinner ?

for example, if I get a warning point for a controversial post, can I send in money to pay off the fine?

Maybe the whole system can be run on fines from infractions! That's how they run EZPASS!

Why do anyhting to warrant warning points?

Amen! I don't have any warning points on any board! But some folks.. :rolleyes:

I myself would not pay extra, I subscribe to the magazine. I don't mind the ads, easy enough to ignore, just like TV. I was building models before I connected to the internet and will build regardless of whether or not I can see this or any other forum.

I don't want to sound mean or unsympathetic, I really like this forum. But I've already got way too many things clamoring for my disposable income!

Edited by bbowser

I don't know that I would pay, but I think if there was a "premium membership" option, it should be included with a magazine subscription and offered as a paid option to those that don't/can't subscribe.

I use ad block plus and don't see any of the ad's, so they don't bother me what so ever. ;)

I belong to a gaming forum where the members donate what they want, when they want. There's a sense of 'helping' and 'brotherhood' among them.

We're informed from time to time how the money issue is. If the coffers start getting low, people are inclined to pitch in again. This could be every two years or so. Sort of like watching public TV (no ads) and donating.

Gregg mentioned in a post that it was about $3,000 to fix the latest problem with the forum. Considering the frugal nature of most of us when it comes to paying for something we have previously received for free, a nominal charge for being here could go a long way towards helping Gregg with the costs involved.

If it comes down to paying for this forum to enjoy it, then we all have to decide if we want to. If there is a decent sized core group of members here who use the forum regularly, then the cost would be small. Like anything else that has a fee, there has to be some benefit to the cost and maybe that can be factored into the cost.

How about we get on with it? If the Kahuna wants to start charging for a forum without ads, then do it already and stop all the stupid drama. I haven't seen one post from Gregg about asking or demanding a fee for using the forum. Until we hear from the man, why don't all keep our opinions to ourselves?

that folks will pay 35$ a year for a mailing which is substantially advertising. that's what magazines are. of the 7 or 8 (yes, here too) of which I subscribe, the Rodder's Journal is the only one which tucks the few ads into one concise space. but there is usually a 'feature article' about one of the advertisers, so it's a wash. and 17 bucks an issue.

that folks with a fervid enthusiasm for "the Forum" are reluctant to contribute financially for its continuance. (see poll results - the NOs are gaining on the Yeses)

and if that does come to pass, I predict a portion of the Yeses will not make good their vote.

that even when asked "please" & "thanks", not one of the 11,000+ members could reach over and count the pages in their copy of MCM that don't have some advertising.

that if the Forum was not a direct benefit to the magazine, it would not be here.

that's all.

Edited by southpier

that folks will pay 35$ a year for a mailing which is substantially advertising. that's what magazines are. of the 7 or 8 (yes, here too) of which I subscribe, the Rodder's Journal is the only one which tucks the few ads into one concise space. but there is usually a 'feature article' about one of the advertisers, so it's a wash. and 17 bucks an issue.

that folks with a fervid enthusiasm for "the Forum" are reluctant to contribute financially for its continuance. (see poll results - the NOs are gaining on the Yeses)

and if that does come to pass, I predict a portion of the Yeses will not make good their vote.

that even when asked "please" & "thanks", not one of the 11,000+ members could reach over and count the pages in their copy of MCM that don't have some advertising.

that if the Forum was not a direct benefit to the magazine, it would not be here.

that's all.

You can do things one of four ways:

1. Provide the forum for free to everyone except the person (or persons) who actually foot the bill.

2. Provide the forum for free to everyone, but solicit contributions (the Public Television method) and hope that the amount contributed covers the actual cost of the forum. It may or it may not.

3. Charge a fee to access the forum.

4. Provide the forum for free to everyone, but run paid ads to offset the cost.

Method 1 is the way it's been done since day one. Isn't it great to get free stuff (as long as somebody else is paying for it?). Method 2 is iffy... relying on voluntary contributions won't guarantee that the cost to provide the forum would be covered. Maybe not even close to being covered. Method 3 is also iffy... how much do you charge per membership? Charge too much and you don't get enough members signing up to cover your costs. Charge too little and again, you don't cover your costs. And with paid memberships, how do you keep members in line? After all, they've paid to be a member... you can bet they would demand to be allowed to say whatever they wanted to say, because hey... they paid to be here. Moderating would be a nightmare.

Method 4 seems to me at least to be the best choice.

Umm.. NO. I'm pretty sure the ads that we now have to view at the opening post of every page will more than pay for the expense of the forum and then some. I think an option to make the board ad free would work better than a premium member option. Prediction: MCM forum will be offered ad free for a nominal fee in the near future.

My experience with ads like these is they don't pay unless you click on them. And then you only get pennies for it.

My experience with ads like these is they don't pay unless you click on them. And then you only get pennies for it.

But those pennies add up . . .

And, it add up to better than nothing! I'm sure Gregg will appreciate the help.

Yes, the pennies add up, depending on how many people click on the ads. I don't even see them, as many people don't, so I can't click if I wanted to. I find the vast majority of the people ignore the ads. How many times have you watched a YouTube video and chose to end the ad after the initial time period? That doesn't make money for anyone either. Maybe we should all go to the ads and then close the page. Of course, Gregg can't say to do that or he get's sued.

My vote is for donations.

I voted no. I had a paid membership to another site and it wasn't worth it. I got access to a members only forum, two stickers for my car, and a icon by my screen name that said that I was a member. The problem was no body used the members forum, it was and still is a dead forum, maybe two posts a week if that. It just was not worth it.

Of course the non paying members there were adult enough to understand that ads helped to pay for the forum. So they didn't complain that they had to look at an ad for women shoes. Maybe guys that own old police cars are more mature than some in this hobby, who knows.