Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trailer Loads

There have been posts with ideas for real loads from mundane to really weird.

Here are two I found that might be helpful, the first shows the proper way to load a flatbed, the second is for weird loads.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20027&hl=%2Btrailer+%2Bloads

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38034&hl=%2Btrailer+%2Bloads

There have been a few 1/24 scale aircraft, a Revell Bell 204 / UH-1 Huey, Airfix P-51, and DH Mosquito maybe others. Tamiya has done a handful of 1/24 tanks too, at least a Sherman, Centurian, and a Tiger. Maybe a T-34 and Panther but don't recall for sure.

I've actually seen a 1-1 Huey on a flatbed, it was a local firefighting helo that had a hard landing and had to be trucked to a facility that could inspect it for damage. Would be a fairly easy model load, as they basically just removed the rotor and tied the helicopter down on the trailer.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget the MPC 1/25 scale General, Steam Locomotive. That'd make for two loads, the engine on a lowboy and the tender, off its trucks, on a 40' Freuhauf flatbed...

I have a 1/24 Airfix P-51D that I'm toying around with the idea of turning into a flatbed load... Something that was rescued from the boneyard and is on its way to being restored...

You can look up all kinds of industrial equipment on Google Images. If you go into specific manufacturers from there, you can even find dimensioned plans. The good news is that much of it is basic shapes, since it's function over form.... simply entering "air handler" gave me a load of images, including this typical roof mounted unit. Generally factory made and lifted into place.

Rooftop_Packaged_Units.JPG

Edited by Tom Geiger

C400%20Frac%20Column.JPG

or a refinery fractionating tower or frac column unit.

tv%20series%20heat%20exchanger%20process

One kind of heat exchanger. I used to design this stuff when I worked for Exxon or below is a fin and tube heat exchanger. Picture a couple of these skid mounted on an open trailer! Bowman%2015%20inch%20Gas%20Heat%20Exchan

Edited by Tom Geiger

I'm talking about real loads here. In my neck of the woods. the Merrimac Valley, I don't see airframes being transported, just lots of heavy old machinery destined for the scrapper. As chance would have it, I never ever have my camera with me to snap a pic of them, I see them when I'm driving and will not take a photo while behind the wheel.

More pics of that kind of stuff, and has anyone built a model of a machine for the trailer load?

I plan an old steam hammer for one of mine.

I'm talking about real loads here. In my neck of the woods. the Merrimac Valley, I don't see airframes being transported, just lots of heavy old machinery destined for the scrapper. As chance would have it, I never ever have my camera with me to snap a pic of them, I see them when I'm driving and will not take a photo while behind the wheel.

More pics of that kind of stuff, and has anyone built a model of a machine for the trailer load?

I plan an old steam hammer for one of mine.

That's why I posted photos of real life equipment above. I think it's a bit cliché to put an airplane on a trailer. And a bit too easy! It's not all that hard to build up equipment since it's all basic shapes. And it doesn't matter if it's new from the factory or junk headed for the scrapper! Probably more interesting as junk!once

I once visited a small company that made large heat exchangers for industry. It was pretty neat. They had a slot in their shop floor the exact size of a flat bed trailer. They built the unit right on the trailer. The first time it got moved as a unit was upon delivery to the client. Plastruct used to make (maybe they still do) a lot of vessel shapes, valving, hatches, piping etc. Back in the old days design companies had a model shop where they actually built this stuff to scale to design the 1:1 from. Of course that's all done in CAD today!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Too bad I can't put pictures up on this forum , or another magazine forum now . I would do a 1920's Early Metal Pre- Fab gasoline station on a Flat trailer . Generally, these tiny little stations only measured 10 X 10-12, were about 15 to 19 feet tall and had lots of glass panels in them . Tell me somebody will try and duplicate that except for Crazy Richard ............

It's funny you bring this idea up, I found this the other day and am planning to load it to either a trailer or a flat bed train car, I like seeing heavy equipment being hauled, the kits are few and well... They need to be modified to ride a truck. Now if you we're willing to change your scale the options become endless.

post-12527-0-18478800-1384045469_thumb.j