Model Cars Magazine Forum

'54 Chevoldsmollac custom...mystery frame, Aug.26

Ace-Garageguy

With a collection of vintage skirts..why not ?

Bill ...I see you got some of the older custom skirt pieces...

To tell the truth, it was seeing that particular build of yours that got me interested in collecting vintage skirts. When this style was current in the 1:1 world, I wasn't a huge fan of the look, being a more hard-core go-fast guy. I thought of skirts as unnecessary weight and complication. It's still probably not a style I'd ever build in 1:1 (for myself anyway) but seeing how well you used skirts to accent the 'lower, longer' look on models, and since my interest has turned to more nostalgia-style builds, I just had to give it a try.

Just as with the 1:1s that mostly left me cold in my distant youth, it takes some finesse to get them to look like part of the overall design, and not just stuck on. Again, seeing that you achieved that sparked my interest in giving it a shot or two. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks !! That at least gets me pointed in a direction to start searching. I'd thought it had a GM look, but hadn't got any farther than that.

Checked my stash to compare with photo, the frame is the AMT '70 Monte Carlo. Hope that helps. Can't wait to see some more progress!