Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Amtronic

kenb

Going through my stash I came up with an AMT Amtronic. I remember buying it to build and hang from the ceiling with some other space junk and aircraft that hang there. Has anyone ever built this thing? There's a twin jet engine pack that powers the rear half and a single jet engine for the front. They both have transmissions and look very realistic. I snatched them out of the kit. Once built I don't think you can see them and mine is going to hang from the ceiling anyway. Tomorrow I will post a picture or two. The engines are small enough to look awesome as an alternate powerplant for a car. Similar to the Chrysler Turbine car. Was just curious if any of you guys ever saw this. Ken

Yep, that's the one. Was going to take some photos this morning but had a hard time getting out of bed. One week out of surgery and your supposed to feel better, Not today. Last night I stripped all the chrome off of the engine parts and sprayed them gloss black in prep for Alclad. Here are the pictures. Ken

DSCF1156.jpg

DSCF1152.jpg

DSCF1154.jpg

DSCF1155.jpg

Our model club had a build an Amtronic contest and somebody discovered you could waterproof it and make a fishbowl complete with a goldfish swimming around in it. This kit has been joked about allot.

Edited by 935k3

• 4 months later...

One might be reminded of Ed Roths Rotar or the similar levitation machine from George Barris and the feud between the dueling aircars. I am assuming this AMT celebration of space dorkism is from the same time period?

Nope. Hover. Like a Hovercraft. On the exhaust gases from the turbines.

Which is odd, because it appears to have a turbine engine, wheels and tires, axle shafts connecting the engine to the wheels, yet is shown flying/hovering on the original box art. Maybe it both hovers and is wheel driven?

Which is odd, because it appears to have a turbine engine, wheels and tires, axle shafts connecting the engine to the wheels, yet is shown flying/hovering on the original box art. Maybe it both hovers and is wheel driven?

That's the very idea. It only goes into hover mode, when it is on the specially built track with the guide rails, where it reaches speeds of 300+ mph. In this mode, the wheels are retracted.