Model Cars Magazine Forum

It is great news about the forecoming new tool '57 Ford 2-door post 3 in 1 coming next spring. Now we have to encourage Revell to do what Trumpeter did with the 64 Falcon and bring out a new Ranchero.

I friend recently asked me to build him a '57 Ranchero model like the one he towed his Shelby GT-350R racecar with of which I built him a model about eight years ago. I managed to track down a previously started stock roof height Ranchero which will be OK for a bookshelf display but it made me realise that world really needs a new tool '57 Ranchero.

For those who do not know the history of the old Revell '57 Rancher that came out in 1960, it was based on the '57 Country Squire Station Wagon that goes all the way back to 1957. In 1963 the Ranchero received a chopped top which carried though on a all subsequent releases. The model featured a multi-piece body like most of the early Revel kits.To its credit it had an engine and separate running gear components.

I think many of you would agree that a new tool '57 Ranchero would be a big seller for Revell.

That will be great to see. I have the 75 re-issue Ranchero with Stock height roof,

and yes it did come from the Squire. Look at the body side pieces as well as the interior

panels and you can see where the tooling was ground down to remove the 4dr lines.

I had one of the black chopped top issues and had planned to use it to make a Ford wagon

with a resin roof I had, but decided after gettingg th e99 tool AMT 58 Edsel Pacer to make

a Phantom Edsel Ranchero. At least that one will have the correct doors.

I want to look at the Custom for Police cars too!

Both 2dr sedan & 4dr.

Edited by Edsel-Dan

So far I haven't heard anything solid about using that sedan tooling for a Ranchero or Station Wagon. But remember, in most instances you would need the to keep making the sedan. If you change to another version you need to change the molds and we still have the stock, custom and what ever other versions so they get their monies worth before anything is broke up. Therfore, I think it will be quite awhile before you see anything.

38 Crush

Not just a body, but I think to do a Ranchero you'd need to also make up a new chassis plate (I'm assuming the Revell '57 will have the rear wheel wells molded to it). Even so, they could use quite a bit from the 300 to pull it off, and I'd love to see a GOOD '57 Ranchero kit... or better still, a '58! (What? A boy can dream, can't he? :lol: )

You know, sometimes I think the resins guys play a big roll in all this. Modelhaus has a 300 custom and that would save people like Revell or AMT alot of tooling work. Maybe we should get the resin guys to do a 57/58 Ranchero and or wagon. we mightget it faster from the big guys !!

Just a Thought !!

38 Crush

So far I haven't heard anything solid about using that sedan tooling for a Ranchero or Station Wagon. But remember, in most instances you would need the to keep making the sedan. If you change to another version you need to change the molds and we still have the stock, custom and what ever other versions so they get their monies worth before anything is broke up. Therfore, I think it will be quite awhile before you see anything.

38 Crush

That isn't always the case...Revell cranked out different versions of the '05+ Mustang pretty quickly...

The different variant of the 57 Chevy sedan came fairly quickly as well...

That isn't always the case...Revell cranked out different versions of the '05+ Mustang pretty quickly...

You're both 100% right, but consider that in the case of a 300 to Ranchero kit, you'd need a body, pretty much an entirely new interior (side panels, rear bulkhead, and floor at the very least) and possibly a different chassis. And a new rear window. In the case of the Mustangs and '57s they all shared identical interiors, chassis, glass pieces, etc. Revell theoretically could do a Ranchero, but they'd need to tool up quite a few more subject-specific pieces to pull it off than they did on those two kits. I'm kind of curious to see the actual kit contents on the 300 to see how the sprues are laid out- if the interior side panels are on a separate sprue from the dash, etc., that might be an indicator Revell is at least considering other variants on the tooling. (I think its a safe bet to assume they are, given Revell's recent track record.)

Pictures of the sprues w/ parts and the body were posted in the iHobby threads in October..not really close up, but decent enough to see how the parts are organized. The door panels are on a sprue w/ the firewall.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49137&st=0

Edited by Rob Hall

Pictures of the sprues w/ parts and the body were posted in the iHobby threads in October..not really close up, but decent enough to see how the parts are organized. The door panels are on a sprue w/ the firewall.

http://www.modelcars...opic=49137&st=0

Thank you! Thought I remembered seeing them somewhere. Seems like when Revell tools a new kit and several sprues are on the smallish side (as seen in the 300), it's a pretty good indicator they're considering other versions. I won't lie and claim to be an expert on laying out tooling, but from where I sit a Ranchero would be very feasible working from the 300 tooling. Now all they need is for the 300 to sell well and know there's demand for a Ranchero kit.

Looking back at those sprue shots I am pretty excited for all three of the new tool kits (Ford, Olds, and Corvette). Even though none fall into what I would say is "my thing", I can really appreciate well thought out kits with possibilities - and all three of these kits meet that criteria. Separate frames, steel wheels, separate dog dish caps, separate leaf springs, etc - so many ways to modify and so many parts to use.

I would be interested in variants of the kits too - a wagon would be my first choice based on the Ford. I could see myself buying multiples of that - even though I have sworn to stop buying new kits unless I REALLY need (I guess want) something.

• 5 weeks later...

How about something totally different and Revell do a spinoff of a 1957 Mercury

57Mercury.jpg

Then some of us that are into vintage Nascar could build something like this.

57Mercurystockcar.jpg

And since Model King seems to be into Tim Flock with the Hudson and Chrysler 300 they could do the Flock Mercury

flockmercury.jpg

What do you all think?

cool so revell is redoing a 57 ford wagon and ranchero. well it looks like what im gunna get when they come out on the shelves.

That's just speculation at this point..nothing has been announced that I know of..but I'm sure there will be some foilowup variations to the '57 Ford Tudor...

Edited by Rob Hall

• 4 months later...

For those who do not know the history of the old Revell '57 Rancher that came out in 1960, it was based on the '57 Country Squire Station Wagon that goes all the way back to 1957. In 1963 the Ranchero received a chopped top which carried though on a all subsequent releases. The model featured a multi-piece body like most of the early Revel kits.To its credit it had an engine and separate running gear components.

Some pics of an (original?) issue of Revell's '57 Ranchero kit, which I found on eBay:

rr0.jpg

rr6.jpg

rr5.jpg

rr4.jpg

RR1.jpg

rr2.jpg

rr3.jpg