Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another difficulty with the old "standard roof" Revell Ranchero is the doors were too short for that particular series. Revell based the tooling on the standard 4 door wagon which naturally has shorter front doors. Revell never changed this, they just tooled the body with the different roofline, and the pickup bed.

At least if Revell comes out with a new tool Ranchero, the doors should be correct this time around! :D

Would be nice to see a new tool of this as there are tons of El Caminos out there on the contest tables.

• 10 months later...

Nope, won't be a Ranchero, but a Ranch Wagon.

It wouldn't surprise me, but I;m guessing they'll wait to see how well the '49 Woodie is received and sells before doing the same with the '57 Ford. Besides, there is a supercharged NASCAR version of the '57 sedan yet to be announced, so I get the feeling both a Country Squire and Ranchero are a few years down the road.

It wouldn't surprise me, but I;m guessing they'll wait to see how well the '49 Woodie is received and sells before doing the same with the '57 Ford. Besides, there is a supercharged NASCAR version of the '57 sedan yet to be announced, so I get the feeling both a Country Squire and Ranchero are a few years down the road.

New versions are always saved for years down the road. Milk that first one for all you can get first. Don't bring them all out at the same time and saturate the market *cough* trumpeterfalconsandrancheros *cough*. But they are usually all designed at the same time as the first kit to save on design and tooling costs.

Now, do I know what alternate versions were designed into the 57 Ford tooling, or am I just playing an April Fools?!?! I get one day a year to play around, then I have to clam up for the other 364 days of the year. It's such a burden to know what I know... <_<:rolleyes::lol::D:P;)

Edited by Brett Barrow

New versions are always saved for years down the road.

When did Revell's '49 Merc kit arrive? 2006? Meh, I can wait, but a Country Squire would be great to have, and I think the Ranchero would be a good seller, too.

When did Revell's '49 Merc kit arrive? 2006? Meh, I can wait, but a Country Squire would be great to have, and I think the Ranchero would be a good seller, too.

I don't know that the Merc Woody was built into that one from the start. That might be an execption, like the 70 Mustang Mach 1. We're talking new ownership since the Merc was designed, but it's possible it was part of the original design, but then that would have made a flathead with speed parts a more likely engine choice for the custom, so that the woody could have stock parts down the road. That's why I think that's an exception.

I'm thinking of kits more like 64/65 Chevy Fleetside and Stepside P/U

37 Ford P/U and S/D

56 Delray and Nomad

Various hardtop and convertibles of same year/trim level (67 Vette, 68/69 Vettes, 59 Caddy, 59 chevy, 69 Camaro, 55 Chevy, etc...)

That top-secret kit they're working on now and that other top-secret kit they're working on now

Kurtis V8-60 and Offy Midgets.

66 Elky/Chevelle Wagon

You know, the kits that come out within a year or two of the first one. Ones where we get strung out for 6 or 7 years were probably not designed in from the start.

Edited by Brett Barrow

I've been saying that for awhile now about the Ranchero and wagon and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. I did talk to Bill Lastovich about it before he passed on and he gave me an indication that those might be down the road as well. So we'll see. In the meantime I have PLENTY to build if I can pry myself from this keyboard more oftern.

I've been saying that for awhile now about the Ranchero and wagon and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. I did talk to Bill Lastovich about it before he passed on and he gave me an indication that those might be down the road as well. So we'll see. In the meantime I have PLENTY to build if I can pry myself from this keyboard more oftern.

That's pretty much my line of thinking (hoping?), too. Special Edition '57 Sedan, NASCAR version a year later, then a CS or Ranchero in another three or four years.

I'm guessing the '66 Chevelle wagon has sold well of Revell wouldn't brought it back this year, but then they did bring back the SSR kit, too. :rolleyes:

That's pretty much my line of thinking (hoping?), too. Special Edition '57 Sedan, NASCAR version a year later, then a CS or Ranchero in another three or four years.

I'm guessing the '66 Chevelle wagon has sold well of Revell wouldn't brought it back this year, but then they did bring back the SSR kit, too. :rolleyes:

There will be a NASCAR supercharged version out (probably by the end of the year) and that's no foolin'. Of course the supercharger parts and "screen door handle" on the chrome tree were a dead giveaway, but this one's been confirmed by Revell - I just don't have any specifics on it yet. And don't forget we have the limited-edition Model King fire/police version to come as well. That will be sometime this summer or late spring.

http://www.svensworldofwheels.com/57_ford_police_page.html

foorrdddbotop.jpg

You jest, Brett, but you're also almost exactly correct.

It was late summer 2007, and I think the earliest anybody saw one was maybe end of July at the front edge of the WalMart release. Everybody else was gettin' 'em right about when you said.

Sounds about right...IIRC, I found that kit at a Wal-Mart up in the mountains of Colorado while on a weekend trip to Aspen.