Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 MPC Nascar Petty Charger; a kit change just announced

'70 Grande

Personally it doesn't matter to me, as I plan on painting mine so the opaque is fine.

I still have an original from when I was a kid, but had attempted to paint the clear body back around 1975, thats as far as it ever went. Still unbuilt !!

I would like to thank the folks at Round 2 Models for this re-release as well as all the kits they've brought us modelers over the last couple years. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for these old kits and have enyoyed them very much.

By the way I three of the Petty Chargers on order, so hopefully we'll see some decals come out in the near future.

Happy modeling, Vernon

i wondered if i was the only one that remembered the 1/16 buddy baker charger.k&k insurance i believe molded in red plastic. ihad them both as a kid. i painted the clear body on the petty charger anyway.wonder if they will reissue the baker charger?

Hello David....I'm glad you too remember the Buddy Baker kit, it was molded with a red body and the front wheel openings were reshaped from the the Petty kit. I had both of these kits when I was many years younger.

For thier time these kits were fantastic and from what I remember go together very well.

It shows the model companies had the capability of building detailed kits back then.

At any rate I've got three of these kits coming, and will defintely build them this time around. Hope we see some aftermarket decals and lots pictures in this forum.

One last thing, back around 1975, we had a local department store go out of business and as part of thier markdowns, they were selling both the Petty & Baker kits for about $3.00 each. Yes, I said $3.00 each. As a kid of about 15. I never thought to cut a few more yards for the extra money to buy everyone they had.

Happy modeling, and I hope everyone enjoys this GREAT reissue as much as I will. Vernon

Take a look at the vintage instruction sheet and see how many more parts there are for this car as compared to the DOH and Street Charger kit. Or, just enjoy the images.

None of us will know how many parts have been restored [hopefully all], till we tear open our kits when they arrive.

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/mpc-5/mpc-petty-nascar-ch/001.html

Enjoy

Bob

Interesting kit ? Worth Buying ? You'd have to ask your self if you are really into 1/16th scale kits, or if you have the room to display such a kit when finished. Then you might look at the instructions http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/mpc-5/mpc-petty-nascar-ch/001.html and answer that question for your self.

Stefan, My first contact with this particular kit was back in 1982. I was a Petty fan club advisor for the state of Ohio. My family and I went to Pocono that year and I wound up helping out with the fan club meeting as the Pennsylvania advisor couldn't be there. I bought the Petty and Baker 1/16th kits from a vendor there and was blown away. Having actually spent time inside of the #43 Charger I was absolutely amazed at how well MPC had captured all the details of the car. I suggest replacing the vinyl hoses and spark plug wires. The Petty's used either black or blue spark plug wires and the rest of the hoses were braided with A&N fittings. That will make it even more accurate.

Richard himself it turns out, had given MPC access to one of the backup cars and every bit of help he could at the time. It paid off big time. If you like NASCARS and larger scale cars you cannot go wrong with this vintage piece no matter what colors you put on it.

P.S. Word is at least one aftermarketer is doing Baker decals for this car as well. :)

My first response is to Bill Burmeister, If you have any extra cans of the Clearview 2000, could I get one from you. I bought some back when Scale Auto first ran the add but over the years it seamed to disappear.

I'm glad someone else remembers the greatest April Fools Day joke of the modeling world. I'll never forget all the people calling the local hobby shops trying to find this stuff.

Second, The Petty kit is well worth the money. I'm not a big 1/16th scale fan, but as a Petty and MOPAR fan, it's a must have.

It's a shame MPC never appled this technology to the 1/25th scale kits.

I built these kits as a kid and was impressed at how well they went together. Now as an adult (and hopefully better modeler) I can hardly wait to get started on the reissue. The first of my pre-orders just came and looks fantastic. The big difference I see is the front wheel openings are the same shape as the Buddy Baker K&K Insurance version.

Other that it is missing the screen for the grille, no big deal.

Take my word on it, this is one nice kit. Hope everyone enjoys these kits and we see a lot of finished pictures in this forum.

Vernon

Hello Sjoberg...Try the guys at detailmaster.com. They might be able to help you.

Found one more source. Look in the resin & aftermarket section of this forum, there is a post from yesterday listed as best radiator hose. The company name is Protech and has some good reviews.

Good luck, Vernon