Model Cars Magazine Forum

BMF on resin

Guest Anthony Oteri

Guest Anthony Oteri

Hi Guys,

I am having a problem with bare metal foil on the nose of my latest build. It is a resin cast Brockway from AITM, it is all painted and has been for better than 3 weeks now. The problem is the foil I applied to the nose(radiator enclosure on the exterior) keeps on developing bubbles underneath the foil. The first time it happened was about 3 days after it was clear coated. I removed all of the foil and cleaned it with alcohol then washed it with soap (Dawn) and water and re-applied the foil. It was fine for about 5 days this time then it developed bubbles again. Is it the resin or paint giving off air/oxygen like I think or is it something else? The foil stuck fine, not a problem with the adhesion just the bubbles. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not sure whether it's the resin or the paint, but it definitely is happening because it's been sealed under the foil, it sounds like "solvent pop" in paint that gets waxed/sealed too soon and little bumps form where the solvents are still trying to escape. You might just have to remove the foil and let the paint cure a bit longer...unless it's something in the resin.

Guest Anthony Oteri

Thank You Bob. The paint is Tamiya spray, and it as you know it sets up so fast and I am so impatient! I will try your suggestion. Thanks very much!