Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Inspirational Model Car

The guy that inspired me to build to a higher level when I was young was Don Emmons. Anybody remember him? He wrote modeling articles for Rod and Custom back in the 60s. His tips about kitbashing and using waxed thread for plug wires started me on the road to doing more "grown up" models. I was only about 8 yrs old at the time.

gus

I'm in agreement with Chuck's choices, except I don't know who that VS fellow is? LOL!

Seriously: two model builders and two of their very different models were instrumental in getting me back into the hobby, and striving to be the best that I could be (hum, I've heard that somewhere before), and you find that you are not in competition with anybody but yourself, to build better, to push your imagination, to increase your skills, etc . . .

Here is Pat Covert's "Carnie Wagon," which I am happy to say it is now a part of the Lab-RAT-ory colleciton:

IMG_4125-vi.jpg

IMG_4129-vi.jpg

It seems to me a model like this feeds the imagination for years . . . it really ruined me forever in terms of being so addictive . . .

Here is Ken Hamilton's painted model that Pat Covert built . . . (it was one of the first amazing collaborations between two builders! Which resulted in a two-part great article published in Scale Auto Enthusiast (I think, or was it Plastic Fanatic?).

P9040001-vi.jpg

P9040002-vi.jpg

P9040005-vi.jpg

For me at first it was just cars [i was little], but By the 80's guys like Don Fahrni, Russ Schwenkler and Randy Derr were building things that I loved and doing it VERY well.

After I'd stopped for many years [booHoo], I picked up the "other" mag and started back in a little. Then, when I found this forum and MCM mag I have never looked back.

I'm inspired by anyone here who has posted a WIP or completed work.

I love this place.

Bob

I wanna play.

My earlist inspirations came form some very old issues of Car Modeler that my Pop brought home. Within those pages were contest issues that had outrageous designs I tried to copy. They also had the Ira Dunham Moon Cube trike, which helped me to try his scratchbuilt body technique on a trike of my own. I was about 12.

I floundered around unti Hot Rod magazine ran thier contest. Then things got interesting again. On those pages were some outstanding works. I remember Terry Ross, Chuck Larsen, and Mike Flynn. I was about 23 or so, but still building in a void.

When I moved to Sacramento I met Jerry Amaral. He really helped me with my building. I also went to my first NNL and met Mark Townsend. He showed me his welding styrene welding techique and explaned his thought process on custom bodies. He was also the first big name modeler I ever talked to - I was nervous. After that it became easier to appoach someone about thier builds. I have taken tips from a lot of memebers here, To name a few, but not all. Mike Turk (Rememeber the chain driven Nash Metro) told me about remaking items that you are not happy with. Steve Keck told me about the Micromark punch among other things. Mark Jones told me the eaiser way to lace up PE seat belt hardware. Dave Cummins gave me some great tips on fabbing small parts. John T always impresses me with his realistic finish on his tires and other parts. His speed is unnatural. Dirk Joseph is a fav, as is David Morton.

My favorite modeling quip came form Andy Kellog. I was at an NNL struggling to repair a broken part. From behind I hear "If you did it once, you can do it again."

Right now the builder that really blows me away is Randy Derr. Great guy to talk to. Loves the art of building and fabrication.

Therre are a bunch ot other guys here that have helped and impressed me along the way. Sorry I don't have time to name them all.

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

My initial modeling mentors were Don Emmons, Jim Keeler, and Dave Shukis. These are the guys whom opened my eyes to proper building. Then I went through the oft-repeated modeling hiatus during my teenage/early adulthood years, and the got back into it watching Dale King, Harry Stewart, Don Farni, Doug Whythe, Augie Hiscano, and Mark Gustavson. Personally knowing and seeing Anthony Cairo, Bill Geary, Larry Booth, and Lyle Willits build is still inspirational.

Good Lord, and I didn't even mention some of the greats whom are no longer with us, such a Tony Delvecchio, Dave Dickash, and many others whom were fundamental to my adult years as a builder. Thanks everyone!

I,ve been building off/on for about 47 years.i got back into permanently about 2 years ago.i'm into it more and stronger than ever-i'll never stop now. i could do this 24 hrs. a day.i have a lot of people who inspire me.some of my strongest inspiration could be the beautiful models i see everyday.but a few people who blow me away are TIM BOYD-DAVE THIBIDEAU,<sorry about spelling> and CLAY KEMP.also the biggest inspiration of all,somebody who always supports my building is my wife PATTI <my tricia>.everyday i can't wait to build. thanks

p.s. thanks to another couple people who's names i just can't remember

Too many to mention!

Nearly everyone I have come across from when I was 8 till now have inspired and encouraged me to build.

A couple of the most notable have to be my Dad who got me started in modeling followed by Gary Fox, Ron Martinolich, Dave Susan and Bob Paeth, all members (and former members) of S.A.B.A.(Scale Auto Builders Assn, inc).

After that I got into attending car shows, reading the mags and the numbers grew to the hundreds... including many who post here.

Rommell-

I have the honor of calling Mike Flynn a friend. He is alive and well in Spokane, WA and I talk to him and visit his home on a weekly basis. He has inspired me also to be a better builder (when I can find the time). He is an extremely talented and generous person when it comes to modeling. Every time I visit him he asks me if there is anything I need or want from his collection. Currently he is working on a series of 32-34 Fords and has a beautiful 70's era 55 Chevy that he is building. When he gets it finished, I'll post some photos.

I'm going to go call him now and share this thread with him, since he doesn't have a computer.

It's nice to know that he is appreciated by more people than just me.

Later-

My inspiration has to start with non other than my dad. If not for him I most likely would not be building models today. I remember as a young child, sitting on the living room floor and watching my dad work on a model using a t.v. tray table as a workbench. I always thought that his builds were so cleanly built and well done.

Now, where my building skills have gone to (and still yet to go) are thanks to many builders along the way that I have pulled inspiration from. Whether it be someone who builds in the same genre as I or anyone of a large number of builders who build so many different types of subject matter and raise the bar with each build. The list is long and illustrious but I would have to name some.

From the "extreme" building skills of Clay Kemp and David Thibideau to the amazing scratchbuilding and detailing talents of Ken Hamilton, Dirk Joseph, David Morton or John Teresi. Along the way I have had the privilege of being fellow club members with the likes of Jairus Watson and Bob Peath, both pioneers in this hobby.

I have been a passionate fan of this hobby for so many years and it's always been an honor to meet some of the greatest builders and people throughout the years. From Augie Hiscano and Ricky Couch, two of the best builders and ambassadors to this hobby that will always be missed, to Mark Gustavson, Roger Yu, Steve Hinson, Mark Jones and a host of others. Not only have I learned better building skills from so many of these folks but also how to be a better person and how be giving of one self.

And, lastly, to Terry Marcum. A good friend that years ago took the time to sit with me and teach me better basic skills at painting models, which is probably the biggest movement in my building skills over and above anything else, even though I still have plenty of room for improvement.

My ultimate goal is to continue to learn from every great builder and to maybe hope to be able to help someone else along the way sometime.

Wow, this thread brings back a lot of fond memories and names! I originally entered the hobby back in the mid to late '80's after finding Scale Auto at the local hobby shop. There are some models/builders that were an incredible inspiration to me in those early years:

1) Mark Gustavson's '36 Ford Sedan Delivery

2) Randy Derr's 1/16th scale Trans Am SCCA Racer

3) Jarius Watson's Red convertible Boss Mustang

4) John McGowan's candy yellow '41 Willys pickup

5) Rocco Richardson's Pro-Street '49 Ford Custom

Unfortunately, I got away from the hobby (actual building) from the mid-nineties up until about three years ago. Since returning to the bench, the models of Bill Coulter, Tim Boyd and good friend Craig Turner have had a huge impact on my current build style. These days I strive to build clean, well painted Nascars and Street Rods straight from the box.

It's a great hobby, thanks to everybody who contributes in some form or fashion be it in the magazines, on the internet or at a local club or contest. Sharing and keeping it fun is the key!

I know I mentioned Hamilton, Covert, and Cranky earlier, but a few guys who AREN'T known for building rusty models have played a role in my modeling as well- Tim Boyd (duh!), Bill Coulter, Terry Jessee, Bob Downie, Drew Hierwarter, and many others whose work I've followed in the mags over the years.

Today, I draw inspritation from all sorts of people and vehicles, but its the models and builders here on MCM where I get most of my ideas anymore. Not a bad thing at all if you ask me!

a correction...way back there i think i mentioned the great model scratchbuilder augie meyer. actually i think he was or is the keyboard player or drummer or something in sir douglas quintet! and probably doesnt know squat about models, though they did record one of the best songs ever, "shes about a mover"!

obviously (errr...) i meant Augie Hiscano.

sorry bout that.

Scott Colmer - I'll never forget the time Scott shows up with a fully plumbed and blown mid 60s vette at a Sacramento Auto Modelers meeting. I was really excited by that model. We became friends. His builds are so imaginative.

Randy Derr - Great builds - love his road race tendencies.

Ricky Couch - God bless him - great imagination.

Dan Woods - not a modeler that I know of - but he got his inspiration to build the Milk Truck from a model.

Sal Salvador - Space Rods - do a Google image search - your like it.

Bo Zolland - From Viztech - great illustrator.

Excuse my humble pardon - who are those chaps?

The fellow on the left is John Teresi, and the fellow on the right is Gene Winfield, customizer and hot rodder extraordinaire, still going strong at 84 after a lifetime of creativity and innovation spanning virtually the entire history of the rod & custom world. Here's are some links FYI:

http://www.c-we.com/piranha/GeneWinfield.htm

http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_car_photos/beautiful_custom_cars/gene_winfield/

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Gene_Winfield

The fellow on the left is John Teresi, and the fellow on the right is Gene Winfield, customizer and hot rodder extraordinaire, still going strong at 84 after a lifetime of creativity and innovation spanning virtually the entire history of the rod & custom world. Here's are some links FYI:

http://www.c-we.com/...eneWinfield.htm

http://public.fotki..../gene_winfield/

http://www.kustomram...e=Gene_Winfield

Oh, thanks. I know who Gene Winfield is, I just didn't recognize him on the photo.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to weigh in here with a vote for Mr Obsessive,

I agree. I saw his Ford Mustang EXP 500 at NNL east and kept coming back to look at it. Its what drive me to want to open up doors and such. Only after I got home did I realize it was his. He even shared some tips and sent pics of door hinges. Thanks Bill... :)

Hey guys,

My inspiration was initially my father as he is the one that first exposed me to modeling. Then it was guys who's models were on display at the LHS, then the internet took off and holy smokes the world opened up. Found a particular site, then another, then this site. So, at this point I have so much inspiration from builders on these forums that there is no way to pick just one. So many different styles, techniques, designs, yada, yada.

Anyway, just a few of the folks responsible for my most recent inspiration are:

Dr. Cranky, John Teresi, Brett Tynan, Niko Lindstrom, Chris Sobak, Bernard Korn, Darryl (Mister Twister), Wayne Stevens, Rommel, Alyn, and of course Gregg for making this whole place possible, and the list goes on and on.

Frankly, I'm still overwhelmed by what all is on this site.

Later,

Edited by Dave42