Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

On 10/26/2018 at 12:41 PM, 89AKurt said:

Fun thread to check out, until the Photophukit debacle ruined it (appreciate being able to post directly to this forum).

I've wanted to do my dad's Mercedes 190 sedan that I grew up with, had no seatbelts, airbags, ABS or air conditioning (how did I survive?).  I would hope it looks better than the box art.  I found an obscure model collector dealer, price was crazy.

itc3692mercedes1.JPG

8943505737_4dcc51074e_o.jpg

This is another oldie . The Box art is way better than the model . It is one of the pioneering Plastic Model Car Kits . I have a few of these types . Ask , I will post ; Rolle Royce , Allard , Jag XK 120 , Talbot Logo , Nash Healey . I have the Pegasso WIP . I am missing the Aston Martin Aston Martin BD 3 and this Mercedes . The T-Bird and Corvette , I will not spend the Big Bucks for when I have highly Detailed later efforts in my preferred 1/25 scale .   Thanx .. 

Edited by dimaxion
mspll

I happen to have 2 of the Demolition Demon 56 Ford from Aurora.

I still have 1 Near complete built (Missing 1 wheel/tire only, and breakdown bar/marker driver took down when car past driveable)!!

The kit pictured above is missing a few parts

wheels, etc

plus, Mine had 4 Flesh colored figures included

Driver, Flagman w/checkered flag, Crewman & woman ?Girlfriend/Wife of driver or fan?

Also note the box called this a 57 Ford!!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

On 11/4/2018 at 9:49 AM, dimaxion said:

This is another oldie . The Box art is way better than the model . It is one of the pioneering Plastic Model Car Kits . I have a few of these types . [...] I am missing [...] this Mercedes .  [...] 

Thanks for the information.  Only when one has a direct connection with a car, would one be crazy enough to spend the $$.

That's me on Prom Night.  The car's battery died at the restaurant, needed my dad to rescue me, switched to the Honda Civic CVCC.

Prom Kurt in Tucson.jpg

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

Too bad so much of a great thread is dead due to that ole Photobucket crud...

Here are a couple from eBay browsing...

I searched eBay for that Toho Nissan President and found it. Wow!  $2,086.12.  Or best offer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-Out-Of-Print-Plastic-Model-1-16-Toho-Nissan-President/223937709070?hash=item3423ba440e:g:snwAAOSwW2teYbw-

On 3/17/2020 at 1:04 PM, Mike999 said:

I searched eBay for that Toho Nissan President and found it. Wow!  $2,086.12.  Or best offer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-Out-Of-Print-Plastic-Model-1-16-Toho-Nissan-President/223937709070?hash=item3423ba440e:g:snwAAOSwW2teYbw-

It’s a totally random scale too - 1/15. If it was 1/16...

1 hour ago, Erik Smith said:

I’m sure this has been mentioned around here over the last decade, but I have zero memory of seeing this kit (chances are there is a thread here with me commenting on it and this kit is in it...):

E356ACD2-52EB-497F-A52A-345F54DCF0FF.jpeg

I attend a lot of shows and watch eBay and I cannot recall seeing this one. As I’ve collected all the MPC car kits if this era I surely would’ve bought it!

3 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

I’m sure this has been mentioned around here over the last decade, but I have zero memory of seeing this kit (chances are there is a thread here with me commenting on it and this kit is in it...):

I was given a built one many years ago. Identical to the Monza kit except for the Skyhawk scripts. 

I've never seen an unbuilt one either.

7 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

I have one in my stash

Many years ago a friend of mine showed me a lot he had of a Ford 100E, a small British car  I think I'm 1/24 scale. It was of American manufacture but I cannot remember who made the kit.. My late father had one of those little Fords  and started to teach me to drive in it. So I would be intrigued to know who made the kit. Maybe Palmer of perhaps Pyro. I know that Purl made a Triumph Sports Coupe back in the day.

Noel, the manufacturer  of that Ford Prefect 100E was Premier  - if you google it you will find pictures including the box.  I have a glue bombed version in my stash but a friend of mine is doing a full detailed fully corrected version of one that will look outstanding when finished.  Out of the box it is slightly better than a Palmer, but not by much!

Cheers

Alan

I built this one as a kid but torched it when i lost interest in the hobby. I have never seen it since then. I remember opening the box and being disappointed finding that the tires were styrene and not rubber/vinyl. Strangest subject I've ever built.

elegant farmer.jpg

Just now, Safire6 said:

I built this one as a kid but torched it when i lost interest in the hobby. I have never seen it since then. I remember opening the box and being disappointed finding that the tires were styrene and not rubber/vinyl. Strangest subject I've ever built.

elegant farmer.jpg

This was supposed to have been re-issued a few years back, but, it was cancelled due to a lack of pre orders. I really want one for my collection of oddities! 

Image result for mpc elegant farmer

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

This was supposed to have been re-issued a few years back, but, it was cancelled due to a lack of pre orders. I really want one for my collection of oddities! 

Image result for mpc elegant farmer

Wish my old kit came with the girl! I wouldn't have torched it if it did!