Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage 1994?

Given the reissue nature of the the model hobby, I think it's hard (or futile) to try and pick a specific year or dividing line between what's a vintage kit and what's a modern kit. Within a given year, model companies have a variety of straight reissue, modified reissue, and new tool kits available.

There are some significant years, though, like 1988 when MPC's last annuals were made (they continued in 1989 as AMT reboxes)...and also in the mid '80s when Revell and Monogram became Revell-Monogram. Or 1978 when AMT's last annuals came out (though they sporadically have had some later). Or 1979 when the last new tooling came from Jo-Han.

Edited by Rob Hall

That just it, it really does not feel like 1994 was really 18 years, so what it really was , time caught up to me :(

Well,technically,while you could buy em in early '94,they were listed as 1995 models (my Grandparents bought one,a new '95 in the Spring of '94),LOL,so by model years,it's not even that old :P BTW,my wife has daily driven a '00 (1st year 2nd gen) for over 2 years to work now :P

Well,technically,while you could buy em in early '94,they were listed as 1995 models (my Grandparents bought one,a new '95 in the Spring of '94),LOL,so by model years,it's not even that old :P BTW,my wife has daily driven a '00 (1st year 2nd gen) for over 2 years to work now :P

Steve, the ebay listing has it listed as 1994, so thats what I was going by.

l know its rare to see a neon around anymore...

Actually, I was just noticing recently just how many Neons there are still on the road! Quite a few actually. Both my niece and nephew each had one until recently. One of my students home has one in their driveway. I see them all day long. I bet most of them are on their last leg... especially since nobody can afford to swap that Chrysler transmission once it finally dies.

There's a buttload* of 2nd gens,as well as a decent helping on 1st gens in this area-even quite a few SRT4's ofvarious states of mods (there was one what ran a solid 10.15 @ Bristol Dragway last Fall,IDK what changed but he ran consistently in the 10.9-11.2 second range all this year (and remember,Bristol is a full 1/4 mile track :D ).

*We're not talking anorexic super-model sized butts here,I mean big hairy sumo-wrestler sized....LOTS of Neons running around yet :)

I have to admit to owning a Neon, a 1995 I bought in 2000. Was just looking for a car to drive to work & around town. It was clean with 70,000 miles & priced right. Two years & 12,000 miles later I traded it for $700 on a new Saturn. Can't even count the things I had to fix in 2 years plus what was bad when I unloaded it. My wife still won't let me even look at a Mopar because of it. The only really bad car I've ever owned.

Those first gens was junk. A LOT of the egine issues were fixed with the 2nd gen,most notibly the head/bol issues. Unfortunately,not ALL 2000 model got the running chage,my Wife's didn't. It needs aheadgasket (most common symptom),but fortunatey it only needs one by way of leaking oil down the back side,not into th antifreeze. The CC and A/C don't work,but otherwise it's dead reliable :)