Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 COPO Camaro

mikemopar70

Here's a new one for 2014... in fact my third this year!!

It's the Revell COPO Camaro kit, here it is on primer.

I made a mock up of the chassis and suspension to give me an idea, and i think it's going great!!

The COPO i'm replicating (production no. 67.)does not have wheel lip molding so i've had to remove them!

It's a hugger orange COPO with an air spoiler and special front bumper option(body color)

100_4948-vi.jpg

100_4951-vi.jpg

100_4955-vi.jpg

I tried some Shabo tire lettering and pretty convinced, i'll made all three others the same way!!

It's a shame that Shabo is no longer in buisness....

Now the bodywork is done, it's been sent to the paint shop for an Hugger Orange coat of paint..

More to come with a glossy shine and a great 427 (not ZL-1) to be different a bit!!

Edited by mikemopar70

Michel - I'm looking forward to following your build of this gem !

I just bought that kit recently ; I'm going to build mine in '71' LeMans Blue , with a column-shift TH 400 , and Spyder wheels .

Correct me if I'm wrong ; the "standard" COPO 427 would be the L72 , right ?

Michel - I'm looking forward to following your build of this gem !

I just bought that kit recently ; I'm going to build mine in '71' LeMans Blue , with a column-shift TH 400 , and Spyder wheels .

Correct me if I'm wrong ; the "standard" COPO 427 would be the L72 , right ?

You're right, the 9561(non ZL1) package carries an iron block 427 called L72.

I made a mistake in the production number i mentionned before, it is one of the ZL1 with the same options i want on mine!

I didn't find a complete list of the 9561 COPOS, GM built over 1000 of them so, i think any combinations is available..

But i do have found a picture of the exact replica of mine..LOL!!!

http://www.carpictures.com/vehicle/06L5G123110665/Chevrolet-Camaro-COPO-1969

You're right, the 9561(non ZL1) package carries an iron block 427 called L72.

I made a mistake in the production number i mentionned before, it is one of the ZL1 with the same options i want on mine!

I didn't find a complete list of the 9561 COPOS, GM built over 1000 of them so, i think any combinations is available..

But i do have found a picture of the exact replica of mine..LOL!!!

http://www.carpictures.com/vehicle/06L5G123110665/Chevrolet-Camaro-COPO-1969

Nice !!

It's too bad that Fred Gibb had to eat crow on those ZL-1's ( :mellow: ) . Probably would've been better off with an order of L72's with a couple of ZL-1's in the mix ...

Here's a pic of the ZL-1 I'm planning to closely-replicate :

post-6643-0-14661400-1396496569_thumb.jp

Hi folks!

Here's a little update on my COPO, i've done the Hugger orange basecoat on the body parts and the wheels (only the wheels have been cleared yet)

I opened the grille to see trough.

And i've done the chassis detailing (not shown), and the chambered exhaust system (with Alclad paints)

So here it is, as of now!!

100_4965-vi.jpg

100_4964-vi.jpg

100_4973-vi.jpg

100_4968-vi.jpg

100_4974-vi.jpg

See you next time with yhe celared body and pictures of my chassis!

Edited by mikemopar70

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on my COPO Camaro project!

I've done some work on the interior (seats and door panels) that i've painted flat black with a semigloss black acrylic wash to achieve a good vinyl interior look.

I applied bare-metal to the side panels trims, and i've used embossing powder on the floor followed with black paint to simulate period correct carepting.

I've also worked on the front grill, it's been painted steel and i put a Model Car Garage Bowtie Chevy emblem..

Here it is for now!

100_4985-vi.jpg

100_4981-vi.jpg

Now i'm preparing myself for the NNL East on saturday, i think i will bring the Camaro on the primer table..

Hope to see some of you guys!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank's for the kind comments, with the trip to NNL east last week, the Camaro suffered a bit of " i don't have time to work on my models!!", but i've done some yesterday and i will post pictures very soon.

I've done the tire lettering with Fireball Modelworks decals, and it is a lot more accurate..

And all the black parts have been painted too, my interior is almost done, stay tuned, i will made a mock up before the en of the week!!

Mike.

Edited by mikemopar70