Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flashback 1976 - MPC '76 Monza 2 + 2

Erik Smith

I don't have a '78 annual, but do have some of the others including the Skyhawk and the yellow "Pro Street" issue.  I didn't do a concentrated search for that one (bought mine almost as an afterthought) but the yellow one (on paper) shouldn't be a big deal.  It may have been produced by both MPC (pre-Ertl) as well as Ertl.  It has a set of four-lug Centerline wheels which were probably only in that issue. 

The '78 annual might be tougher because it was the fourth annual and the 1:1 hadn't really changed all that much.  I remember picking up one or two of the early annuals on closeout back in the day because the engine in these kits was pretty good compared to other small-blocks.  I've been wanting to build a pro stock version using the chassis and parts of the interior from the Twister Vega, so I was looking more for a '75 or '76.

I had a '78 kit back in the day, can't remember specifically what was in it except that it was changed around a bit from the earlier annuals.

thanks for that, Mark....I asked as I just bought the 78 annual  yesterday online, and I'm unable to see if the parts bag contain the hood scoop . regardless, I am glad to get the kit .......best,,, the Ace...:D

Sorry, I'm not sure if the '78 annual has the scoop...that's one of the few MPC Monzas I don't have.

Went and checked, and both the Monza Pro Street kits I have were made by MPC in Mount Clemens...pretty sure it did continue into the MPC/Ertl era though. Mark is correct, the four-bolt Centerlines were only in that issue of the kit.

Edited by Don Sikora II

Sorry, I'm not sure if the '78 annual has the scoop...that's one of the few MPC Monzas I don't have.

Went and checked, and both the Monza Pro Street kits I have were made by MPC in Mount Clemens...pretty sure it did continue into the MPC/Ertl era though. Mark is correct, the four-bolt Centerlines were only in that issue of the kit.

yes, the other issues seem to either have a minilite style rim, or Keystones  in others as far as what I've seen. the 78 annual I've got coming has Keystones according to the box art......the Ace...;)

I had a few of the 1978 Monza annual kits back when they were new . I loved them because of the cartoon mouse , which reinded me of the cartoon MIghty Mouse ; I just had to have it every time I saw it ! Of course the MPC decals of that era turned to confetti in short order , which used to throw me into a rage immediately .hopefully Round2 will reissue the 1978 annual , " mouse" decals and all...

I had a few of the 1978 Monza annual kits back when they were new . I loved them because of the cartoon mouse , which reinded me of the cartoon MIghty Mouse ; I just had to have it every time I saw it ! Of course the MPC decals of that era turned to confetti in short order , which used to throw me into a rage immediately .hopefully Round2 will reissue the 1978 annual , " mouse" decals and all...

great point, John.....decals of that era usually were junk in the case of MPC kits. I do intend to use mine on the kit I have coming, and hope that the Micro set decal restore liquid may solve that , but an annual reissued by RC2 would be a terrific sales item for them, and a great addition for many of us.....the Ace,,,,:D

......Scott, go to ebay, type in this item no.///////  111995970278    ///////   that will show you the 78 Monza mouse decal sheet, or google MPC 1978 Monza model, and the box art will come up with pics of the decals on the built box art car.....hope this helps,,,the Ace....:D

......Scott, go to ebay, type in this item no.///////  111995970278    ///////   that will show you the 78 Monza mouse decal sheet, or google MPC 1978 Monza model, and the box art will come up with pics of the decals on the built box art car.....hope this helps,,,the Ace....:D

This one?

1978_Monza_2_plus_2_MPC_1_7816_25th.jpg

This one?

1978_Monza_2_plus_2_MPC_1_7816_25th.jpg

That is just great! I absolutely love this and would love to see Round 2 find this one and re-issue it. See, I am stuck in the 70's and 80's mentally but unfortunately not physically so this is right up my alley. Thanks for posting this one.      Jeff 

I want the Awful Revell version of this car. Not because it is a great kit, but because it brings back pleasant memories, of the time I could just build a kit, Spray Paint it in the back yard, and call it done. Simpler Times, Simpler Pleasures. My last look at the auction site showed NO Revell Monza's that were not Funny Cars. Guess, I'll have to search for them over the long haul.

I want the Awful Revell version of this car. Not because it is a great kit, but because it brings back pleasant memories, of the time I could just build a kit, Spray Paint it in the back yard, and call it done. Simpler Times, Simpler Pleasures. My last look at the auction site showed NO Revell Monza's that were not Funny Cars. Guess, I'll have to search for them over the long haul.

yeah, Alan, those times in our modeling are the best of times....building on the porch, and spraying just about anywhere,,, grabbing a new kit on a venture out on a Saturday with your favorite girl to come back and build a car in a few hours, and probably enjoy the whole thing more than the long effort we sometimes put into a build now.........lots of older, not so great kits have fond memories for many of us.........the Ace...:)

I built this one back in 1976 when I was 15 years old. Won first place in my very first model contest with it. Has about a bajillion coats of candy red lacquer on it.

IMG 9101rt 1

IMG 6487

IMG 6485

All original, except for the paint on the hood, and some fresh chrome I robbed from a started kit I got off eBay. Still trying to hunt down the mags from the Skyhawk kit. And I want to restore the hood. It was body color, with the scoop and the racing number. And I still need to replace the side pipes.

Jesse, is that your mib kit, or just a box photo you dug up.....reason I ask is if  its a complete example of the kit it would be quite nice to see the contents of this little mouse.....thanks,,,,,the Ace....:)

Just a photo I dug up, wish I had that kit! But I am looking for one!! 

Dave Darby, that little Monza rocks! Good Luck on finding a hood and scoop.

Ace, you are so right. Ev en the lousy 1980's kits could make for some fun times. Wish I could still build that way. But, I've grown upo, and just throwing together a kit, is almost impossible now. The A.M.S. gets ahold on you, and it is difficult to do more than one thing at a time.

Dave Darby, that little Monza rocks! Good Luck on finding a hood and scoop.

Ace, you are so right. Ev en the lousy 1980's kits could make for some fun times. Wish I could still build that way. But, I've grown upo, and just throwing together a kit, is almost impossible now. The A.M.S. gets ahold on you, and it is difficult to do more than one thing at a time.

.....you know, Alan, I realize its backward thinking....but at times I truly think all of it was far more fun at that stage of our lives. I know the reason I build less and less these days is because when you have set a much higher standard over the years, its hard to go back to quick, basic fun building. we have become much better modelers in most cases, but that same hit, or blast or whatever the word is, now for me at least, has become a difficult task most of the time. I actually may try building some quick, low detail, fast drying cars that can be banged out in a 3 or 4 day stretch just to see what happens.....after all,,,its just plastic, and God knows we all have plenty of that...lol....the Ace......:lol:

I don't have a '78 annual, but do have some of the others including the Skyhawk and the yellow "Pro Street" issue.  I didn't do a concentrated search for that one (bought mine almost as an afterthought) but the yellow one (on paper) shouldn't be a big deal.  It may have been produced by both MPC (pre-Ertl) as well as Ertl.  It has a set of four-lug Centerline wheels which were probably only in that issue. 

The '78 annual might be tougher because it was the fourth annual and the 1:1 hadn't really changed all that much.  I remember picking up one or two of the early annuals on closeout back in the day because the engine in these kits was pretty good compared to other small-blocks.  I've been wanting to build a pro stock version using the chassis and parts of the interior from the Twister Vega, so I was looking more for a '75 or '76.

I had a '78 kit back in the day, can't remember specifically what was in it except that it was changed around a bit from the earlier annuals.

.......boy, Mark, you were soooo right on the small block in these MPC Monza kits....I just got mine in the mail, and that engine is very nicely detailed and engraved quite well as I can see....nice auto trans, heads, all are impressive parts for certain. would stand up today in most cases for comparison.....the Ace.......:D

I built this in the 70's when I was about 13. (Had to pay extra for that custom brush painted finish and tube glued felt carpeting :) ) Thanks Erik, now I can say, "so THAT'S where those honeycomb wheels in my parts box came from."

MonzaSide.jpg

MonzaTop.jpg

Monza1.jpg

MPC had the Monza Mouse mentioned above. I got this at a flea market last summer. It's rough but salvageable. It appears to have acquired a Vega hatch somewhere. It also came with Mickey Thompson grooved drag slicks. Might've been kit issued, not sure.

MonzaBuilder.jpg

Mike, I just got this kit in the mail today from an ebayer, and mine has those very nice M/T grooved slicks as well..:lol:...my Round2 reissue 75 Dart Sport has those slicks, and back in 1975 I had both the 75 dart and 75 Ventura MPC cars, and both had those too. they were included in just some of the annuals from around 75 to around 78 or 79 as I recall..............the Ace............:)

Those grooved M/T cheater slicks are currently available, in the '67 Charger and '75 Dart reissues.  I've got a pair of those molded in white plastic; never figured out what kit those were in.  Someone once told me the early production '67 Charger kits had them.  I've had two of that kit over the years (still have one); both have/had the vinyl ones.

Those grooved M/T cheater slicks are currently available, in the '67 Charger and '75 Dart reissues.  I've got a pair of those molded in white plastic; never figured out what kit those were in.  Someone once told me the early production '67 Charger kits had them.  I've had two of that kit over the years (still have one); both have/had the vinyl ones.

Very interesting, haven't seen a plastic version of that tire.