Model Cars Magazine Forum

QUAD TRIKE! Custom Harley... WIP 1-27-13

QUAD TRIKE!!!

QUAD TRIKE will be a 3 Wheel, 4 Cylinder Harley...

I started with a Revell 12th scale Torch Chopper, Mag Wheels and a Seat from the Shaker Trike, and a couple of Harley Davison Engines! I think the 2 Rear Low Profile tires are from a Formula One Kit...

DSCN9786Q.jpg

The first thing I did was remove the chrome from the Vintage Wheels and the Harley Engines...

DSCN9791Q.jpg

B)

Edited by Ira

DOUBLE HARLEYS!!!

I found that the Rear Wheels from the Mustang Mach III were the perfect size for the Engine Connecting Transmission. I removed the chrome from the Wheels...

DSCN9796Q.jpg

I glued the wheels together, back to back...

DSCN9801Q.jpg

Here is the Engine Mock-Up with the Wheel Part in place. This will be the spacing for the Engines...

DSCN9806Q.jpg

More Coming... B)

NO MORE CHAINS!!!

I used a part from a AMT X-Wing Fighter for the Transmission. It kind of looks like a small Funny Car Trans...

DSCN9808Q.jpg

Here it is in place between the Engines.

DSCN9826S.jpg

I added a bit of tubing on the end and a small piece of plastic between the 2 parts. I will be using a 1/6th scale drive shaft from a car instead of a Chain!

DSCN9836Q.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

THE REAR END...

Here are the stock frame sides...

DSCN9868Q.jpg

I glued the Frame Sides together and carved out the rears of the Frame Sides as shown. I didn't glue the top front of the frame so I can still slip the forks in later...

DSCN9874Q.jpg

I was going to use the Rear End from the Shaker Trike but it was too big. I ended up using an 16th scale 57 Chevy Rear End.

DSCN9879Q.jpg

Rear View...

DSCN9875Q.jpg

More Coming... B)

JUST A LITTLE LONGER...

I cut 2 Plastic Strips to fit over the 2 Frame Braces, next to them.

DSCN9881Q.jpg

Here they are in place. I did this to strengthen the frame before I cut it in half!

DSCN9883Q.jpg

I cut the frame at these 4 points because I am going to slide a, 1 inch and 1/8 long, piece of aluminum of tubing over each cut. This will make the frame about 3/4 inch longer!

DSCN9888Q.jpg

Here are the aluminum tubes glued in place!

DSCN9892Q.jpg

B)

TRANS TUNNEL!!!

I cut out about 3/4 inch from the Center Support Tube...

DSCN9897Q.jpg

Then I found a "U" Shaped piece of plastic and cut it down to size. Next I glued it between the Center Tube and the Lower Frame Tubes.

DSCN9899Q.jpg

I also added 2 Vertical Support Tubes right at the front edge of the Aluminum Tubing as shown.

DSCN9912Q.jpg

B)

CUSTOM GASTANK!!!

I cut a wedge shape about 3/16th inch from the front bottom of the tank, tapered off to nothing at the rear bottom. Here are the Stock and Custom Tanks together...

DSCN9972Q.jpg

I also cut the slot at the front to lower the Tank on the frame. I traced the shape of the Tank on to sheet plastic for a New Bottom.

DSCN9948Q.jpg

Here is the New Tank Bottom in place!

DSCN9951Q.jpg

Then I cut out a New Groove in the bottom....

DSCN9979Q.jpg

Ready for Primer... B)

QUAD BOD MODS!!!

I started to make a Body for the Quad Trike. I started with a Cardboard "Body Side" Template and worked with it untill it was pretty close, then I traced the shape on to sheet plastic.

DSCN9983Q.jpg

I continued working on the plastic Body Side untill it was very close to what I wanted and then I traced the Body side to a second piece of plastic and cut it out.

DSCN9984Q.jpg

I did several Mock-Ups, Testing & Fitting...

DSCN9961Q.jpg

Now, I've got a pretty good Idea what the Body will look like when pieced together...

DSCN9969Q.jpg

More Quad Bod Mods Coming... B)

Edited by Ira