Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Nova SS NHRA Stock Eliminator H/S

Bruno

Here's my first stock eliminator build, and not the last one for sure, I really enjoyed building this one! So it's the Revell kit, with a few PE parts, braided hoses and fittings, wiring, some scratchbuilt parts and homemade decals.

1677618522.jpg

62d26e3126.jpg

04677162dd.jpg

ddb0e00393.jpg

fea30dbba2.jpg

16f2e77b6e.jpg

4b8088d946.jpg

b989ad3396.jpg

:)

Fantastic job with the Nova! Subject couldn't be any better either. Also I'm glad to hear that it will not be your last Stocker. Engine detail looks great, color is nice and those sponsors make it look like typical Stock Eliminator Drag Racer. Maybe those front tires are bit too wide, since real FrontRunners are very narrow? And what carburetor is that? It should be Rochester, that looks like Holley to me?

But overall, fantastic job, one of my favorite builds for a while in here! B)

Thanks everyone!

Fantastic job with the Nova! Subject couldn't be any better either. Also I'm glad to hear that it will not be your last Stocker. Engine detail looks great, color is nice and those sponsors make it look like typical Stock Eliminator Drag Racer. Maybe those front tires are bit too wide, since real FrontRunners are very narrow? And what carburetor is that? It should be Rochester, that looks like Holley to me?

But overall, fantastic job, one of my favorite builds for a while in here! B)

I agree about the front tires. The tires and wheels are the ones from the kit. And about the carburetor, yeah it's a Holley, and I know it's not legal in that Nova :lol:

I just looked in my parts boxes to find a nice carburetor that looks good, and did some additional work to detail it.

Before starting to build that stocker, I found a 2011 NHRA rulebook and followed the rulebook from start to finish, and the carb is probably the only part that would not be legal on that Nova :)

Great work....would love to see more of these builds posted, As Funny cars got funnier [unidentifiable] and Pro stocks seem to be following the same trend, I find I like the lower class cars in Stock and Super Stock. Super Stock now reminds me of how Pro Stock Racing was in the early 70s.Cars I can recognize,colorful paint jobs,cars with names, not sponsors, Wheelstand starts shifting gears, and close racing. Love your build, keep em coming!

Yeah, the Rulebook really helps alot! I have NHRA 2012 Rulebook too, as well as FHRA 2012 Rulebook (FHRA=Finnish Hot Rod Association) and they do help a lot. Other thing what really makes things easier, is that currently I'm building 1:1 scale Stocker ('74 Chevelle, will run in K/SA) with my father, and we are trying to get it running for the next season. :D

would love to see more of these builds posted,

Me too! There can never be too many Stockers or Super Stockers. I'm trying to build them too, because so far I have only '69 Nova F/Stock and '68 Hemi Dart SS/B completed (well I have also '64 Dodge 330 but it's older build).

Sorry about this little offtopic.

Edited by W-409

Other thing what really makes things easier, is that currently I'm building 1:1 scale Stocker ('74 Chevelle, will run in K/SA) with my father, and we are trying to get it running for the next season. :D

Really! That's so cool! Good luck with the Chevelle :D

I know some things about stockers too because my brother has been running a '64 Dodge in B/SA for a few years now. A replica of his car is on my "to do" list.

Thanks, and yeah, I'm really looking forward to that moment, when the Chevelle is ready to race. Dad will drive few races first, then I will drive my license and then we can fight about who is driving the rest of those races. :lol: Here are few pics of the Chevelle-project: http://tapahtumakuvia.kuvat.fi/kuvat/74+Chevrolet+Chevelle+Stocker/

And Wow, '64 Dodge would be very cool Stocker too, what engine is it running? Can't wait to see when you start building replica of it. B)

You managed to get me going again with my E/Stock Torino project.... I'll post few pics soon.

Here's my first stock eliminator build, and not the last one for sure, I really enjoyed building this one! So it's the Revell kit, with a few PE parts, braided hoses and fittings, wiring, some scratchbuilt parts and homemade decals.

1677618522.jpg

62d26e3126.jpg

04677162dd.jpg

ddb0e00393.jpg

fea30dbba2.jpg

16f2e77b6e.jpg

4b8088d946.jpg

b989ad3396.jpg

:)

Really nice job on this one I like the detail to the motor and underneath. By the way how did you make the electric fuel pump,filter and fuel preasure gauge?

John Pol

Thanks, and yeah, I'm really looking forward to that moment, when the Chevelle is ready to race. Dad will drive few races first, then I will drive my license and then we can fight about who is driving the rest of those races. :lol: Here are few pics of the Chevelle-project: http://tapahtumakuvi...evelle Stocker/

And Wow, '64 Dodge would be very cool Stocker too, what engine is it running? Can't wait to see when you start building replica of it. B)

You managed to get me going again with my E/Stock Torino project.... I'll post few pics soon.

That Chevelle looks solid, not too much rust! Very cool project

My brother has a 426 Max Wedge is his '64 Dodge. Here's a pic of his car

87c8acf032.jpg

I have most of the stuff needed to build the replica, I just need to work on the decals and find someone with an ALPS printer that could print them, because of the gold color...

I will be watching your Torino build!

Really nice job on this one I like the detail to the motor and underneath. By the way how did you make the electric fuel pump,filter and fuel preasure gauge?

John Pol

All scratchbuilt. Hard to explain how I did it, just found some good pics of the real things on the web and did my best to replicate them in 1/25 scale using Evergreen strips and Tamiya extra thin glue. Here's some pics of the scratchbuilt stuff I did for the Nova;

Autometer monster tach with shift light

cc2f98c923.jpg

837128c62a.jpg

Optima battery, Fram fuel filter and Holley electric fuel pump

6f7521c642.jpg

CSR electric water pump

98f415b556.jpg

Headers extensions

d44c52137b.jpg

Fire extinguisher

3ea0cad2c8.jpg

Other scratchbuilt items I did that I have no pics of are;

- Cal Tracs traction bars

- Frame connectors

- Fuel pressure regulator

- Radiator overflow tank

- Brake linelock

- Driveshaft loop

Scratchbuilding is new to me. It's surprising how some things looks harder to do than it actually is...

Here's a few pics of the interior before final assembly;

57cf4e6f0c.jpg

371b83532f.jpg