Model Cars Magazine Forum

Neo's 1/18 Daimler Double Six Coupe

traditional

P5060952-001_zps5ae4a13e.jpg

I must admit, this is a very impressive model. Although Neo's resin models don't have opening features, the finish and presence are outstanding.
I noticed that as soon as I bought the model (during American Excellence's recent sale), the model disappeared from their website, so it may have been the only example that they had in stock. It is still available on other websites, but seldom at a sale price.

P5060951-001_zps4ada1c7a.jpg

P5060950-001_zps3aee0345.jpg

P5060949-001_zps221f0d81.jpg

That's just about perfect. What does it cost?

Hi Harry,....All of Neo's 1/18 scale resin models seem to be in the $230 to $300 range, depending on their complexity.....more than I'm generally willing to spend. Recently, however, 'American Excellence' had a 30% off sale and this model was offered at around $180.....still expensive, but I pulled the trigger.

The models are made in limited numbers of only a few hundred, and are REALLY nicely finished.

I've only bought a few of these Neo 1/18 resin models in the last few years, and never at the full asking price.

PA140107_zps9b82901a.jpg

That Jag is interesting. I have wanted an XJC for years as I used to own a beautiful '77 XJ6C for a few years. I removed the vinyl top (they all rust underneath), stripped of the odd mustard/baby poop color and repainted it a mellow Cadillac yellow, and then a complete new interior including a new wood dash. It was a very, very nice road car.

Finished_RF_lowB-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

As to Neo's version of this timeless classic: the XJC's were only made for a few years, all "Series II" cars. The wheels on Neo's are "Series III" which didn't exist until a few years later. The fluted-looking grill shell is a bit odd since all of the Jag shells were beautifully smooth. He certainly captured the beautiful lines of the car, though. I'd be tempted if I could recreate a set of the true Series II wheels and hubcaps (I still have an original set of the caps with the Jag head centers). I might just give it a shot since there is no other replica of the C model in 1/18 scale as far as I know.

Edited by deja-view

That Jag is interesting. I have wanted an XJC for years as I used to own a beautiful '77 XJ6C for a few years. I removed the vinyl top (they all rust underneath), stripped of the odd mustard/baby poop color and repainted it a mellow Cadillac yellow, and then a complete new interior including a new wood dash. It was a very, very nice road car.

Finished_RF_lowB-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

As to Neo's version of this timeless classic: the XJC's were only made for a few years, all "Series II" cars. The wheels on Neo's are "Series III" which didn't exist until a few years later. The fluted-looking grill shell is a bit odd since all of the Jag shells were beautifully smooth. He certainly captured the beautiful lines of the car, though. I'd be tempted if I could recreate a set of the true Series II wheels and hubcaps (I still have an original set of the caps with the Jag head centers). I might just give it a shot since there is no other replica of the C model in 1/18 scale as far as I know.

Hello Ken,

Your car looks great and elegant.

Neo did make a model of the Jag version of the coupe, with the wheels that were on your car.....but it's out of production and quite difficult to find.

As to the aluminum wheels on the Neo Daimler version, they were evidently available on the Series II as well, as they're shown on a 1975 Daimler brochure. I agree, that the steel wheels were more attractive (and more prevalent on those cars), but at least Neo did an accurate job in replicating the Daimler version.

daimlerbrochure_zps2a56b043.jpg

• 2 months later...

I spotted one of the coupes for sale....$257. I didn't mind paying the price for a car I really want, but without any opening panels or engine detail? Not so much. They also make a really nice looking '50's Jaguar Salon...but again, none of the detail stuff that makes a model more interesting. :(