Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first build and introduction

Hello, The names Joe.heading into the old fart catagory its been decades since i have build a modle car. I have been collecting and restoring old die cast, mostly matchbox .corgis and toostie toys. I decided i needed a bit of a challange and expand my skill base. I joined the forum about a month ago and have been lurking almost daily. reading every post and watching every tutorial posted. all i can say is WOW!!! i am absolutely blown away at the skill and craftmanships i see here. some of the work is just amazing. how the heck do you do it? i've spent the last 4 weeks completing a Revell 57 Bel Air,and to be quiet honest i think it looks like rainman put it together.the best part of the build was the interior and you can't see it!! can't tell you how many mistakes i made the parts i repainted. the parts i lost.from bubbles in the paint.windows falling out. glue on the window.glue smear on the finish paint. and how the heck do you attach the little parts without having them either stuck to your fingers or tweezers!!! AAAAAHHHHH!! the sideview mirror fell off twice and you now have to hang out the car window to see it...anyways here it is in all its imperfect glory....I WILL GET BETTER.

IMG_4408.jpg

fff4ad17-a1a9-4389-ba3d-8834d4ad6d74.jpg

Edited by BubbaJoe

Welcome and it sounds like you learned a lot with that build. The best builders on here learned the same way .. and they have done probably hundreds of builds. I've been building on off for 50 years and still learn something with every one. The trick is to just enjoy it as you go. :)

thanks for the warm welcome and encouragement.I can't wait to start my next build.another revell i picked up at a flea market for $10.the 56 ford pickup. level 3...yeah i know...maybe bitting off more than i can chew. but i figure as long as i'm enjoying the build and learning from my mistakes it will be fine....can i ask a question here ?....how do you hold small parts in place and keep them from moving until the glue sets?...such as door handles,mirrors, winshield wipers ,etc etc..that has been the most frustrating part ..thanks

Welcome to the forum Joe. I am new here myself and very glad I joined. The other guys have covered it very well, learn as you go and enjoy yourself as you build. I bet even the best builders can find at least one flaw or one thing they wish they would have done better on each build.

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas and like Foxer said, you always learn and I even after 40 + years of model building still learn from the new up and coming modelers. I built plastic until I discovered diecast and now do both and as you make mistakes as we all do, will get better and better and then you will be the one on this side and telling that new member, welcome. It's kinda like a cycle. We all learn from each other....so again welcome and good luck...

Lee