Model Cars Magazine Forum

MOON BEAST! 12 Cylinder, 2000 HP Drag Strip Terror is Finished!

Ira

More Frame Mods...

I cut off the last of the rear wheel wells with a cut-off wheel.

DSCN4558M_zps70e636e2.jpg

Then I cut off the raised section in the front.

DSCN4562M_zps62d42975.jpg

Here is the underside after a lot of block sanding and clean up.

DSCN4563M_zps3c959bd3.jpg

I made a new floorboard from sheet plastic and glued it in place.

DSCN4569M_zps63a84dde.jpg

More Coming... B)

Yup, and it has less pipes!

m_269565_VcpFtum2qgsc.jpg

Jesse.... That is Bad A$$ too.... I think I am digging this one a little more..lol was gonna say do one of each but if you do only one I say go for the red and white. Totally cool

Ira... Keep up the great work. Sorry I have Hijacked your thread.

Ira... you are at it again and its looking good. Can't wait to see what all you do to this bad boy. Keep up the great work.

Jesse... I have to say I would go the Moonliner route... then again I am a fan of Mooneyes...lol do you have a pic if the other one?

Thanks Chris!

So glad you are enjoying it... B)

Tight Fit!

Even with the rear wheels moved back there is still not much room for a driver...

DSCN4581M_zpsfb6dce77.jpg

Prime Time!

I decided to cover the Yellow Plastic Body & Frame with DupliColor Grey Filler/Primer.

DSCN4591M_zps9cb49c3f.jpg

We Need More Room!
So, I cut almost a half inch from middle of the Allison Transmission. It's a Fantasy Transmission that I made up just for the Beast. It should look pretty convincing when it's finished.

DSCN4600M_zpsb379fbeb.jpg

Now there is enough room for the Drivers legs. The seat is from the Vette Pro Stock and the Driver is a Tamiya Rally Driver.

DSCN4605M_zps7528ddf1.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

Great stuff

I assume the transmission is made of titanium otherwise there may be a few issues when the lucky driver stands on the loud pedal!

Thanks Don!

Unfortunately the Trans is made of Plastic, But Fortunately so is the Engine... :D

B)

Rear Pan!

I removed an inch from the Rear Pan to match the Body.

DSCN4609M_zps4ae46222.jpg

Then I marked the Body where it will be cut for the New Pan.

DSCN4611M_zps0c8badc5.jpg

I cut along the Marked Lines with a Cut-Off Wheel.

DSCN4617M_zps496c275d.jpg

Next I glued the Rear Pan in Place.

DSCN4622M_zpsdc66d23d.jpg

More Coming... B)

The transmission in front of the Allison engine is to reduce the propeller shaft speed to half of the crank shaft (the gear ratio is 2.00:1 so it reduces the prop shafts speed from the engines maximum 3000 rpm to 1500), it also reverse the rotation of the engine.

The lower hole in the Allison transmission case is for the crank shaft and the upper is for the propeller shaft and they are connected with two gears and no clutch, this reducer gearing is not needed for this use so you could have used the clutch can from the original engine instead of the reducer gear and adapt it to the Allison engine for a convincing setup with a clutch.

Just a thought.

Thanks very much for the Allison Information Hakan!

I modified the Rear Case some more, now it contains the Clutch instead of reducing gears... B)

Smooth Sides!

I removed the Wheel Flares with Sanding Disk in a Dremel Tool. Then I used a Sanding Stick to flatten the wheel areas down.

DSCN4640M_zps2ea89792.jpg

I cut pieces of sheet plastic to fit in the Wheel Cut Outs and glued them in place.

DSCN4651M_zpsd3db6ee6.jpg

Next I added a small plastic strip to each side right under the front wheel openings.

DSCN4657M_zps07a33b35.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira