Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 935 Martini

Hippie

Hi everyone, started this a few days ago,

It's tamiya's 1/12 scale kit, and I plan a lot of modifications. :D

The goal is to build the most correct example of chassis 935/77 ch. 004 (car #1) as I can, so far this is has been a bit of a challenge cause the car crashed then when M.I.A........... :(

so far not much work has gone on, I'm waiting for a bunch of part to show up, but I did start on the brakes....

39c14920.jpg

Well first of I read on some other forums that the stock calipers don't fit on the brake disk when you have the photoeched on them, but,all you have to do is a tiny bit of sanding to thin them out.

b6842ae8.jpg

then you got to cut of the mounting points so that they slide over the caliper brackets, other wise you cant fill in the seam...

3941b4b3.jpg

then everything was drilled out for some turned parts, also the seams where filled with some tamiya putty, these parts where cast in 1:1 and conveniently the casting seam is right on the joint in the model, so i shaped the putty to look like overfill in a metal mold

585dfda3.jpg

I've got brake bleeders to fill in later, once it's all painted...

more soon....

next off is the alternator,

0514d602.jpg

dcbec37c.jpg

(sorry about the phone it was off then turned on just as i took the picture to tell me the battery is dieing.... :wacko: .)

tamiya's got it totally wrong, the bracket is sposed to connect to the black piece,

b8298dfb.jpg

so everything was cut apart and sanded....

c61cd47d.jpg

the alternator was cut in half...

502184e6.jpg

Then more plastic added to get it too the right shape....

a50651f7.jpg

then on the engine block the bracket was cut off and sanded, also started drilling out all the holes

bit more soon

transmission all so needs some work, (thank Bryan! :) still a bit more)

9713bd03.jpg

4a8459f0.jpg

02d61ee8.jpg

still a lot more to do to it, decent amount of things still need to be reshaped....

next was this little box thing on top of the trans, stock tamiya even had it pointed the wrong way,

how tamiya did it:

98265be9.jpg

how its should look :lol:

b177b9f4.jpg

This piece still needed a bit of work and a flange was added around it...

cba2b782.jpg

Then the area it attached too, needed a bit of work.

51b94dc0.jpg

still a bit more....

Edited by Hippie

turned my attention next to the engine block,

70a932ec.jpg

(this area still needs a lot of work)

also the oil filter...... thing?(no idea what to call it)

welds where added, along with some other pieces....

0bed8bf5.jpg

And the bottom of it had to be completely reshaped...

c6610e8d.jpg

last few things, I've been messing with doing the fiberglass the piece on the right is stock, modified is on the left...

d1fb7c0e.jpg

And I worked on the tire's trying to get a real heavy used look...

6ae603cc.jpg

69034aac.jpg

Thanks for looking, this is kinda a odd request but I would really appreciate criticism if possible, I'm trying to build this not looking like a 15 year old built it, and whenever this is any sort of flaw, down to the most munute thing, it would be nice to point it out so I can make this the best model possible for me..

Thanks again, :)

P.S. Next time better pic's I promise

Edited by Hippie

amazing detail work, i'm definitely followings this thread!!

and i cant give any criticism since i dont know how the engine and tranny looks like, and its still not painted, but i doubt there would be any flaws judging by the hardwork you're putting down

Thanks haubenschild, Rob, Intmdr, and Iderek Your totaly right, I"m addind refrecne pic's to the thread....Btw the color on the Lexus is sweet.....

Any way some stuff showed up in the mail..... RB motion gota love this build.....

eaf431a6.jpg

And SMS's DVD

4ca2ff56.jpg

Any ways here's some progress, I got some stuff added to the back on the transmission...

Reference shot:

32ede941.jpg

Then mine, added the cast in oil thing? painted it black to c if the putty was level..

bdbaaca6.jpg

Then I worked on one side of the front of the motor, Here's the reference, (this is a 934 motor, not a 935)

4e099c4d.jpg

Then mine....

3e4ff6f0.jpg

In the same reference shot you can see some more stuff that need to be added, kinda hard to see but notice that around some parts there seam to be welds, tried to replicate this.....

40fc7240.jpg

7c6a4feb.jpg

Edited by Hippie

Then I did some stuff on the bottom,

f22c845e.jpg

2b6e4115.jpg

also got the valve cover all drilled out..

39e27bc9.jpg

Sorry Know this isn't much, I haven't even sanded the putty, but I thought I'd try out, doing the post with reference shots.....

Thanks for watching!!!

thanks for all the comments guys...., Davewilly, I wouldn't pay to close attention if your building the jagemesister kit, there's a lot of difference between the 935 and 934, and a ton that tamiya didn't model, that I'll add.....

In other new IT'S MY 200 POST!!! :lol: I spend too much time here........

any ways to the build, got the trans work mostly done, Here's a bunch of pic's all around it in case your trying the same thing...

1f542edb.jpg

e365e231.jpg

dbed48cf.jpg

ec5da862.jpg

It's not totally perfect but the best I could do without staring from scratch..

Then the flat fan :wub: need some hole drilled out on all side.......

32beb737.jpg

b4a5f0f2.jpg

on some of the Porsche forums that I've been handing around it seems like the fans get pretty destroyed, figure with all the rubber slag they would be pretty shredded....

da9d4765.jpg

bit more...

on to the wheels!

scale motors sports have made it pretty well know that the speedline rims in the back are inaccurate, but they are kinda wrong, the 5 spoke speed lines are used with rain tires, and from what I can tell this car did drive a few races in the rain... Unfortunately, the kit comes with slicks, I've heard that there maybe some rc parts that will work but I'm still looking, any ways I got the chrome striped of, then painted them black with a slight texture to look like powder coating, pay no attention to the tires they should be going....

afbeb8b9.jpg

the back of the rim got all detailed out to, I sal in some reference pic's marking on the back so I copied them out to some stencils

1f4b7916.jpg

didn't see the red over spray in real life, working on fixing it now.....

Here's a closer shot, they seemed to be pretty faded in 1!1 so I sprayed pretty light....

28ff3c3e.jpg

also worked on the front bbs, drilled out all the holes after striping the chrome...

ef3c0e72.jpg

not that noticeable from the front, but pretty obvious in the back....

dc6b87d2.jpg

Edited by Hippie

next off was the side of the engine block to be honestly I have no idea what they are, but anyways there added...

b861cf10.jpg

bc2b2116.jpg

d4dbcb4f.jpg

c54465de.jpg

ce15a09d.jpg

still need to sand this side then add the welds but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to sand it easily?

Edited by Hippie

and lastly I've been working on the spark plugs, Porsche has got some funny spark plug assembly, that I tried to replicate.

first I punch out bunch a plastic circles with a dull punch so the edges would be frayed (the white parts)

933af617.jpg

then the turned parts above go on top to create some sort of spark pug boot

30af0427.jpg

then I airbrushed all the circles some flat black then dry brushed them with brown to look like creaked leather, then the turned parts where painted semi gloss black....

74e57a1c.jpg

and as you can tell from above I painted the lower valve covers, It seems that these are right next to the exhaust on the 1!1 car so the paint burbles a lot, tried doing this by spraying the paint from a few inch. back....

9fc9aa03.jpg

Well thanks for looking, and your honest comment would be nice...................