Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell Foose '68 Firebird

jeffs396

Really?

Hint: $$$

In marketing speak, it was something like 'brand synergy' for Revell to link up w/ Foose.. :) At least the kits are semi-representative of a real car, unlike other kits that have been tied to a TV series but never appeared in the series..

In marketing speak, it was something like 'brand synergy' for Revell to link up w/ Foose.. :) At least the kits are semi-representative of a real car, unlike other kits that have been tied to a TV series but never appeared in the series..

I am all for model companys doing "brand synergy", but least do it right , and not just throw in some new wheels/tires, decal sheet and call it a day.

I am all for model companys doing "brand synergy", but least do it right , and not just throw in some new wheels/tires, decal sheet and call it a day.

It's a pretty cynical approach Revell has taken, assuming most model builders won't notice or care how off it is from the real subject...

I was taught two things...If you can't say something nice....then stay quiet.

That's all well and good. But this thread is supposed to be a review of the kit. There's no need to be quiet and nice about it either. We're allowed to say whatever we want about this kit because it is America. Revell needs to hear the opinions of the potential customers. You know, feedback. Otherwise, more junk like this happens more often.

The wheels/tires and stance look terrible in my opinion. I usually don't want some cheap Pep Boys looking junk on my car or the kits I build. But maybe that's someone else's style lol.

For those who did buy the kit, can we still build it with stock wheels and tires? So at least it's not a total waste?

From Hobby Search, seems just rims on the previous issues, and so freakin ugly.Gimme that front up stance and super skinny tires, and Im so frealin stoked! Way to go Revell!

10198819a.jpg

AND... that is supposed to represent this??

black_firebird.jpg

Edited by Draggon

For those who did buy the kit, can we still build it with stock wheels and tires? So at least it's not a total waste?

Nope..this is not a 2n1 kit. The stock and drag wheel & tire choices of the regular kit are gone. Many of the drag parts (hood w/ hole, blower) remain on the trees, though.

I just want to see what's in the box (mostly wheels) so I can choose between this 'NEW' version, or one of the older versions, since I do want the kit regardless.

In the meantime, gotta get me some of this:

featured_ad.png

I'll bet this works better than the original WD-40 ;)

In marketing speak, it was something like 'brand synergy'...

I know all about marketing and the lingo. I've created plenty of ads, corporate ID, etc. and written a lot of ad copy in my day. You can call it whatever you want, it all boils down to the same thing in plain old English: cash.

This is no different to those Fast n Furious movie tie-ins AMT released.

It's a pretty cynical approach Revell has taken, assuming most model builders won't notice or care how off it is from the real subject...

cynical or cost effective? i'm sure the engineers were given a limited budget for this line of kits, and i'm guessing most went on Foose licensing. Either way, if it gets some kids to start building models, i'm all for it. (yes i'd have preferred a proper set of kit rims).

Edited by kruleworld

It's the gift that just keeps giving!

Revell - We Give You Less for More!

Thats funny cause its true

I think the problem is this, again Revell fails to put inside the box to build what the box art shows, if you are going to do a special version of a car, do it right, oh wait, thats not Revells motto. Sure can you get it close, yes, but not with out work, but the wheels, unless someone out there makes a correct set of wheels, this is not going to be a correct Foose car

Revell- king of cheap

I don't get all the whining- anyone who knew this kit was coming knew it would pretty much be a straight reissue with new wheels, tires and decals. Did anyone seriously think Revell was going to completely re-tool the kit to be accurate to the 1:1 car as seen on Overhaulin'? There's no way possible these tires would even fit the Firebird's wheel wells if it were as low as the 1:1 car it replicates.

Yes, Revell slapped on the Foose name and catchy box artwork (read more $$$ for both Chip and Revell), added new wheels, tires (well, existing tires- they have appeared before in the '62 Impala CW kit), and new decals, and shipped it out. Does it say anywhere on the box "builds an authentic replica of the car Chip Foose designed and helped build on the hit TV show Overhaulin'!"? I don't think that was ever Revell's intention, and seems kind of silly to complain about something which in you heart of hearts knew was never really a likely possibility to happen from the start.

10198819a.jpg

black_firebird.jpg

Thanks for posting these pics Draggon, I can use them here!

I think Casey has a point with how much would be needed to make the kit fully represent the drawing. Look at the wheel openings alone, you would have to section out and raise or grind the flaring back and create a while new flares once the opening has been raised to get that look, while not even trying to get that stance. Then with the rake of the windshield on top of it, they would probably have to retool half of that kit to make it look like the artwork! I never saw that episode, so I decided to go looking for a decent pic of that car, and here's what I found....

l.jpg

Cosmeticly, the model doesn't appear to be as far off the final product in 1/1 scale as it is from the drawing, honestly, I thought it looked darn close when you compare the model to the full sized car vs comparing either to the artwork. Honestly, only think keeping me from buying this kit is that the car payment for my 200 and fuel for it come first over buying the kit, if I can swing the cash for one right now, I would have bought one of the three we got in last friday by now!