Model Cars Magazine Forum

Correct for Bonneville?

I would love to have one, but 30 smackers for the go cart is a lot. Doesn't someone vacumeform the Bonneville shell?

I think they're $44 now, but they fit nicely on the Midget trailer:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70846&hl=kart#entry884102

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55028&hl=%26quot%3Bgo+kart%26quot%3B#entry641748

Scale Equipment Limited has some options, too, like the Honda Odyssey ATV from one of the Revell van kits (IIRC Sean Stacy casts it, too), so you have options.

It would need to be a very small car to fit on the trailer, but motorcycles, cars, and trucks of all sizes run at B-Ville, so feel free to use your imagination.

Hawk / Testors built some very simple Bonneville streamliner kits that make excellent bases for small salt-flats cars. They have zero mechanical details or guts, but the bodies can make great starting points. They were originally offered as wind-up rubber band powered.The overall length of the shells is about 6.5" and the width is 2 3/8" or so. This makes them about right for small streamliners and there's enough room inside for a driver and smallish V8, like a flathead. The FRONT tires from the Rat Roaster or the Orange Crate are about right for period dry-lakes rubber on small cars.

They are frequently still available on ebay, cheap (though there are always folks asking stupid money for 'vintage').

te863004.JPGte863003.JPGte863001.JPGimg442.jpg

It was not uncommon to see small streamliners with their tails hanging off the back of tiny trailers, either.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

People run anything and everything at Bonneville. Grab your parts box and start something. I went there twice in 90 and 91 and I did see a couple of midgets with offies running there! T-buckets with Four cylinders to Semi-trucks were racing on the salt. Your imagination is the limit. In the past there were little streamliners with anything from snowmobile to motorcycle to even model airplane engines powering them.

http://earlyyearsresin.webs.com/lsrparts.htm

Bill do you know about how big those salt flat racers are? They might be the perfect size for a 1/24 scale go cart shell.

The overall length of the shells is about 6.5" and the width is 2 3/8" or so.

They will need to be narrowed and shortened for use as a kart body, and the same to allow it to fit on the Midget trailer.

Another option is a bellytanker from Early Years Resin: http://earlyyearsresin.webs.com/lsrparts.htm

Thank all of you guys so much for the help. I think what I will do is order the testors kit off of the 'bay first (Less then 10 buck shipped and all) and modify it to my needed size for the trailer. If that doesn't work maybe I will try my hand at scratching a belly tanker with the shell from Ron.

OK, keep in mind the dimensions of the Kurtis Midget. They had a standard, mandated wheelbase (set first by AAA's --American Automobile Association--Contest Board, way back when AAA Contest Board was the principal sanctioning body for American closed course auto racing; and pretty much maintained out to today) of 72" (6 feet). In addition the tread base (distance between the centerline of the tires) was also specified. Revell's Midget trailer is modeled from one built to carry a car such as that. Also, an AAA/USAC MIdget is a fairly light race car, weighing in at perhaps 700lbs dry, where say, a stripped out Model A Ford roadster with a 4-cyl can weigh at least twice that. Also, the Hawk streamliners, nice that they are, are a good bit larger than the Midget, both wider and longer.

Just some thoughts.

Art