Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are the Revell Baldwin-Motion and Street Cobras the same?

Are these the same kit? The black "Baldwin-Motion drag Cobra" and the "Shelby Street Cobra" molded in red with Carroll on the box top?

I've read that the Baldwin kit has "extra parts".

Do either of these issues suffer from the "satin chrome" my Metalflake blue-molded one does? Thanks for any info!

The red street cobra was the first issue, and has wire wheels, an up-top, street bumpers, smotoh valve covers, smooth hood, no roll bar, and a 2 4bbl intake setup. Mine has the satin chrome, but it can be "buffed off" and made bright again. Oh, the dash panel is a little different than the blue S/C, Essex Wire, Limited and current kits, bon't know what dash panel is in the Baldwin kit. The Baldwin has a hardtop, short side pipes, Halibrand wheels, and slicks, but I think most of the original street parts are there too. Not sure about the chrome in the Baldwin kit either.

hope this helps....

Thanks Brian. I'm thinking the Baldwin kit might be the street kit with Halibrands, short pipes, scooped hood, and drag slicks as optional parts. I found this internet modeler link via google http://www.internetmodeler.com/2001/july/cars/rm_cobra.htm

It shows the Baldwin built up with street bumpers, 2x4 intake, Cobra valve covers, and long side pipes. The chrome on the front bumper and side pipes looks nice.

I have a lead on a Baldwin kit at the LHS, so I'll swing by tonight and pick it up. Thanks again!

At Monoped's request, photos of all the kit contents are here:

http://public.fotki.com/FiveTs/my_model_ca...1966_cobra_427/

DSC03200-vi.jpg

It appears that the Baldwin Cobra IS the Street Cobra, with the deletion of the flat hood & wire wheels and the addition of shorty side pipes, a rollbar hoop, and drag slicks. The chrome plating is great. I think I'll build my version with the shorty pipes and hardtop.

I've read that the tires in the recent S/C issues are improved. Is it worth picking up the latest issue for the tires?

The under-car mufflers and exhaust pipes are new as well - thanx for the pix!!

All the Cobra kits starting with the Essex Wire (CSX3009) kit have the Bluestreak big n little tires, with the last issue (builds a later version of CSX3009 as well as a version of CSX3008) not having "Goodyear" on the sidewalls.

EDIT: Looking at all the pics closer, this is a good mix of both the S/C and the original street Cobra. It has both the single 4bbl intake and the "turkey roaster" from the S/C, as well as the two 4bbl from the street issue. Both sets of valve covers too! It also has both dash panels, One of which (has the glove box detail) hasn't been seen since the original street kit. The real gems on the chrome tree are the two ear knock-offs (which have the original "AC" logo on them) located between the two 4bbl carbs and smooth valve covers. I have got to get me one of these!!