Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell Datsun reissue

Picked this up today. Surprisingly, at $24 is the same price as the modified reissue of the 57 Bel Air convertibe. Somehow a snap kit costs as much as a full detail? Odd.

No name crummy tires from the old Jeep wrangler kit. The wheels look decent.

10588658_10203455349197214_1322545512_n.

10569130_10203455374717852_1273902663_n.

10555179_10203455438839455_2103752151_n.

Looks like the same style of tires and wheels as the original... I built the first issue of this back around '83-84, molded in an off-white then. Neat little kit.

This was originally a Monogram kit, IIRC Revell also did a Datsun pickup (in 1/25th) of this generation, but a 2wd King Cab.

Edited by Rob Hall

Also, just noticed this kit was produced in Illinois USA.

Revell has been HQ'ed there for a long time...I'd assume it's manufactured in China, as the tire bag photo shows.

Edit: That is odd--

it says 'Packaged in USA', 'Plastic Parts Molded in USA', 'Tires Molded in China'. What's up with that? Revell has US manufacturing/molding capability? Thought that had long ago been offshored....

Checked a few other recent Revell kits in my closet--the new '57 Chevy Bel Air convertible and S&M Cuda simply say made in China, while the old tool '57 Chevy ht (Roth kit) has similar notes to the Datsun..

Edited by Rob Hall

We have a SSP LHS, and they posted on FaceBook when they got the kit in, if I wanted to drive across town, I could get one now :lol:

Sounds like my LHS...:) I went there on Friday and they didn't have any of the Datsun trucks left, but had 2 of the '57 Chevy convertibles of which I got one.

Sounds like my LHS... :) I went there on Friday and they didn't have any of the Datsun trucks left, but had 2 of the '57 Chevy convertibles of which I got one.

Yes, Depot , my guess is they only got one in , maybe two.

Isnt that the only Revell PP LHS we have, or is there another one?, I cant recall.

Edited by martinfan5

Found some pics of one like this kit, an '82 in very clean shape..

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2011/02/21/kidney-anyone-38000-mile-datsun-720-king-cab-pickup/

The pics I found of '84-86 ones all Nissan grille and tailgate badging.

That is a great looking truck, I wouldnt mind owning that one , do you recall what the asking price for it is?

I would like one from the early 90's , when they were called "Hard Body"

I think I am going to do some research and see what I can find out on when the switch was actually made from Datsun to Nissan.

That is a great looking truck, I wouldnt mind owning that one , do you recall what the asking price for it is?

I would like one from the early 90's , when they were called "Hard Body"

I think I am going to do some research and see what I can find out on when the switch was actually made from Datsun to Nissan.

The article didn't mention the price, but it had 38k miles.

The Hardbody generation came out during 1986, ran for a long time. IIRC, Aoshima kitted the Pathfinder version but not the pickup..

IIRC, '83-84 was when they made the transition and the advertising emphasized 'The Name is Nissan'. Some cars--maybe the Sentra or Stanza--had dual badging on the decklids...both Datsun and Nissan for a year or two.

Edited by Rob Hall

The article didn't mention the price, but it had 38k miles.

The Hardbody generation came out during 1986, ran for a long time. IIRC, Aoshima kitted the Pathfinder version but not the pickup..

IIRC, '83-84 was when they made the transition and the advertising emphasized 'The Name is Nissan'. Some cars--maybe the Sentra or Stanza--had dual badging on the decklids...both Datsun and Nissan for a year or two.

Yes sir, you are correct about that, I forgot that they had been called Hardbody for that long before the 90's, I remember seeing dual badging, I just never paid attention to the years that it was taking place in.