Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post-war Opel Blitz....with hinged doors and folding hood

PA190412_zps09447b35.jpg

PA190424_zps3ce37a12.jpg

This is, of course, Revell's (of Germany) Opel blitz truck with the addition of hinges to fold the hood, discrete hinges for the doors, and some engine compartment detailing. In the original kit, the doors and hood are intended to be glued in position.

I painted it (basecoat/clearcoat with Humbrol details) to represent a brand new truck in the early post-war period using factory photo reference.

PA190422_zps223c51eb.jpg

PA190409_zps796f90fc.jpg

PA190410_zps56c862fb.jpg

PA190406_zps0b8625e7.jpg

I agree with Curtis - spectacular! The door hinges are very finely done and I've never seen one with an opening hood before. If I remember correctly the hood is molded as part of the cab and must have required some complex cutting and fiddling to get it looking that tidy. Really nice work.

Beautiful! And man, that paint is flawless!

What's your source for the piano hinges on the hood?

Hi Harry,

There's a place in Ottawa (Lee Valley Tools) that carries 'cabinet hardware', with hinges in all sizes down to very tiny. I bought a couple of the tiny brass hinges and cut them to the length that I needed.

that sir .. is perfect ..

i know this kit in and out , i made like a hotrod styled coe of it but i know the lay out and parts and ..

the paint is just stunning ...

the funny thing is those opels where never ever that nice from the factory hahaha , but seeing it like this flawless wth a uber shiney paint job that looks stunning

i actually seen these in real life , unrestored and restored ... they where pretty common here in holland in those times ..

no i'm not that old (not young wither) but i have sen them in small museum collections

It will be no surprise to hear that the Blitz is a rather popular kit here in Germany, so you see it finished quite often. Particularly considering that it is not Italeri's best kit I can say that you achieved 100 percent of what can be achieved. It is not only your additional work and not only your perfect paintwork - most of all you hit the nail choosing the colour combination. It looks authentic a n d looks great on the model. I sprayed mine many years ago light grey/dark grey. It looks so hideous that I banned my model into the darkest corner of my darkest cabinet...