Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg 1/25 Dodge L-700 & IMC Trailers

jeffb

That does sound cool, especially if you could paint the hauler up in Candy Red paint to match the wheelstander!

My only problem with the L700 is that cab - the real truck didn't tilt forward like that.

Jim Kampmann

that is because of the rear "helper" springs..

Ken Kitchen addressed this in his build in MCM issue #138 jan 2009 pg 39

you do have that issue??? ;):lol:

and Model Expo has both kits at great prices now the L700, trailer , and '40 ford at $20. off and Red Wagon at $10.99 ...(offer W371)

Edited by MikeMc

Lindberg has since acquired their own injection molding facility right here in the USA, it's in Michigan somewhere. They now much better control over the quality so I doubt you'll see the heavy flash issues or that translucent plastic again. Don't forget those kits are all originally IMC tooling from the 60's.

The release date is listed as late Sept '09, I'll see if I can find out if it's still on schedule. As far the L700 with the crushed cars, it has been delayed as the overseas tool maker had trouble duplicating the look of the crushed cars, so it's now being tooled up over here last I heard. The L700 with the Box Trailer shown below is due out any time now.

LindbergCat14-vi.jpg

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

Thanks for the updates, I was going to ask about that "Crushed Cars" release. Isn't it Lindberg that plans on releasing the "tanker" trailer? I am looking forward to picking up one to build a Bordens milk tanker for my daughter, she collects "Elsie the Cow" things & has two sets of decals for a 1/25 scale tanker truck. it will go great withe her Bordens milk delivery truck.

Thanks for the updates, I was going to ask about that "Crushed Cars" release. Isn't it Lindberg that plans on releasing the "tanker" trailer? I am looking forward to picking up one to build a Bordens milk tanker for my daughter, she collects "Elsie the Cow" things & has two sets of decals for a 1/25 scale tanker truck. it will go great withe her Bordens milk delivery truck.

Yes, I believe the Tankers are do out real soon too. You get a choice of either plated or painted style tankers kits. They can also be built as a short version too not shown in the catalog.

LindbergCat12-vi.jpg

FYI, the Skelly Tanker truck shown above was built by the "Big Rig King" himself, Tim Alhborn. The Yellow and Chrome Tanker was my best effort at Truck Modeling. Tim's probably forgotten more then I know about Model Trucks.

-Steve

Steve, you and tim might be interested in a book on the history of Mr David Skelly and his company Skelly Oil . The book was called "A Great Name in Oil " . I forget who wrote the book , somewhere in my vast pile of notes I have it as I credited it boomm several times when I was researching my own retail gasoline history book , Contains Lead. I know that the book might bestll found in the Fort Wort Worth City Library . Mr Skelly was a very influental citizen there. On annother note, Skelly Truck stops were probably the filithest places I stopped when I worked in the west . Ed Shaver

• 2 weeks later...
The L700 with the Box Trailer shown below is due out any time now.

LindbergCat14-vi.jpg

-Steve

Ok, I'll admit right off the bat I'm not a "truck guy"...

but isn't that cab/engine a bit puny to be pulling a trailer that size? Is that even a hypothetically possible combination? ;)

I was always under the assumption that, in general, single-axle cabs were used for "local" runs and the dual-axles tractors were for the long-haul (and larger, interstate trailers).

You may be right, and I assume you are... but that L700 with a relatively small gas engine (and the relatively small amount of torque compared to a diesel) looks to me like it could never pull a fully-loaded trailer that size! <_< For a "big rig" it's awfully small! ;)

I was always under the assumption that, in general, single-axle cabs were used for "local" runs and the dual-axles tractors were for the long-haul (and larger, interstate trailers).

You may be right, and I assume you are... but that L700 with a relatively small gas engine (and the relatively small amount of torque compared to a diesel) looks to me like it could never pull a fully-loaded trailer that size! :D For a "big rig" it's awfully small! :)

MCM issue #138 jan 2009

Re read this and see all the power options!!

You may be right, and I assume you are... but that L700 with a relatively small gas engine (and the relatively small amount of torque compared to a diesel) looks to me like it could never pull a fully-loaded trailer that size! :D For a "big rig" it's awfully small! :)

It can pull it. I had a truck that delivers roll cage tubing to my shop. He got ready to back up and leave and the pin that holds the shifter to the Eaton Road Ranger sheared and at first it was stuck in reverse, but it popped out into neutral and would not move of course. I pulled him with a half loaded trailer with my Dodge Ram Charger 4x4 out onto the road so the service truck could get to him to hook up and tow when he arrived. I did have it in 4 lo, but I went through 3 gears pulling him out to the road way. I know if that truck can do it, the 700 can. Wont win no speed trials doing it though, but ,it's an in town day cab and speeds were slower back then anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

You may be right, and I assume you are... but that L700 with a relatively small gas engine (and the relatively small amount of torque compared to a diesel) looks to me like it could never pull a fully-loaded trailer that size! :) For a "big rig" it's awfully small! :(

You're right with that thinking Harry, for the most part those trucks were meant for Local Hauling, and smaller trailers as well.... I remember seeing the same type Dodge Trucks running around the Seattle/Tacoma/Everett USPS locations up until maybe the early-mid 1990's.... There was quite a few of the Drivers that would tow fairly loaded 48' Boxed Trailers, and Flatbeds loaded with Surplus JEEPs, back and forth to all of those locations.... Most of the drivers tried to Blow the dang engines/trans, so that they could finally get rid of the old work horses....

I forget how long I used to see the Chocolate Brown UPS Versions running around their yards, and a lot of those drivers had the same thrashing practices the USPS Drivers had, but more of them seemed to get caught frequently towing the bigger trailers too far with them(They were Maxed Out Capacity wise, and they would get popped by the State Patrol Officers that knew the trucks capacity(WSP had some they used))....

I thought the shorter wheelbase trucks with short trailers were used for local deliveries in the city. Space is usually at a premium in cities and the shorter version trucks were able to back into cramped loading docks much easier. At least that's what trucker friends have told me.

I thought the shorter wheelbase trucks with short trailers were used for local deliveries in the city. Space is usually at a premium in cities and the shorter version trucks were able to back into cramped loading docks much easier. At least that's what trucker friends have told me.

You'll find some interesting pictures of L700's at www.sweptline.com , including L700 fire trucks.

Note: these were MEDIUM duty trucks with gas or Perkins diesel engines.

Gary

• 2 years later...

There is a kit of your top picture, the Dodge 700 tractor, flatbed trailer, and the '40 Ford all in one box. The bottom one I haven't seen but would be cool with the crushed cars.

SAM_1378.jpg

SAM_1376.jpg

I haven't built the '40, it's not a great kit. The AMT version is much nicer.

I think the version with the crushed cars was the only version not to be released.

Lindberg has been very odd with their releases in the last few years, and it seems to me these L700 kits were released only once, and not in huge quantities. These kits were released almost five years ago, so they aren't going to be super easy to find, just based on that fact alone.

Member SteveG would be the one to ask, though, and here's an image he took at iHobby 2008 of all the L700 versions:

http://public.fotki....9/dscn0041.html

Edited by Casey

I haven't built the '40, it's not a great kit. The AMT version is much nicer.

The '40 Ford in that kit is the old Palmer kit that was cribbed from the AMT (if you cross your eyes right, you'll see it).

Thsoe L700s with trailers are a real "get it when you see it" deal. Seems if you pass on them or hold off, you never see them again. I make a point to get them when I see them. So far, I have the first kit pictured with the flatbed and '40 Ford, the Tanker truck (yellow cab/crome trailer), and the Coca-Cola box truck.

I see the big rig box trailer is supposed to come out in the third quarter of 2012, so they are still releasing kits, and the Coke-branded L-700 and box trailer appears to be new, too, but I can't find anywhere online where the crushed cars set is in stock. It's either listed as discontinued or out of stock.