Model Cars Magazine Forum

1980 GMC "General" Updated 3/25/12 "hood"

Hey, it looks like you use Alclad paint. Which finish did you use for the fuel tanks and battery box? Also, which clear coat do you use for a sealer? By the way, the Peterbilt exhaust shield... On a GMC? Looks nice despite the name though! :P I'm kidding, I like what I see!

Bob....

Polished aluminum was used for the tank and the battery box lid....no clear coat....that's a (no-no) with Alclad...let it sit for a few days...and then polish it up. Works everytime. Pete exhaust shield is just for "mock" up purposes...the real shield's are off to the side for now.

Kurt

Thanks for the tip Kurt! I'm taking notes. You got the KFS wheels, this is going to get real interesting, air valves too... NICE! Classy stuff, if it ends up anything like your avatar Freightliner, you'll have another clear winner! Smells like it.

• 3 weeks later...

So! How's this one coming along???

Bob,

Slow...I wound up re-doing the entire frame over again...I added some additional details I missed in the first go around.

Frame should be in white primer this weekend...and then some partial assembly...pictures to come soon....Thanks, Kurt

Bob,

Slow...I wound up re-doing the entire frame over again...I added some additional details I missed in the first go around.

Frame should be in white primer this weekend...and then some partial assembly...pictures to come soon....Thanks, Kurt

More detailsl!! Hahaha! Well this is sure turning out to be one of the best builds! Keep at it Kurt. This is a rare subject and worth making right. It's coming along just fine then.

More detailsl!! Hahaha! Well this is sure turning out to be one of the best builds! Keep at it Kurt. This is a rare subject and worth making right. It's coming along just fine then.

2/19/2012

Update: "New" chassis is 99% completed...and will be in white primer later this week...and the the orange "flies" finally.

Working on the fit and finish....

Kurt

DSC09090.jpg

DSC09096.jpg

DSC09094.jpg

Ohhh, this is getting better all the time! By the way, are you going to use those aluminum tanks I see in the background on this Lil'ol GMC? Sure is lookin' good with these wheels. By the way, a work of art cannot be rushed. I am partial to this build... ;)

Ohhh, this is getting better all the time! By the way, are you going to use those aluminum tanks I see in the background on this Lil'ol GMC? Sure is lookin' good with these wheels. By the way, a work of art cannot be rushed. I am partial to this build... ;)

Bob....the aluminum tanks in the background are 1/24th scale...and for another project. I did do a custom 1/25th scale tank for this "guy"..1/24th was just a tad too big..for the over all "flow. Thanks, Kurt

Kurt,

This really is an impressive project. Is the frame and hood cast in reasin? Or is that the colour of the plastic in the kit. The reason I ask is I have an AMT Alaskan Hauler in the same colour. When I first got the kit I thought someone had made a resin copy. But that was how it was made by AMT.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Kurt,

This really is an impressive project. Is the frame and hood cast in reasin? Or is that the colour of the plastic in the kit. The reason I ask is I have an AMT Alaskan Hauler in the same colour. When I first got the kit I thought someone had made a resin copy. But that was how it was made by AMT.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

First...thank you to everyone for the comments

Dave....it is not resin....when I got this latest "kit" it had every indication(s) of being the first release from AMT...even though the box art remainded the same...different plastic formula's/colors were later introduced...I have a few General cabs on this project....the later ones are horrible for mold markings...mold wearout..

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...