Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some Johan Offerings

BIGTRUCK

This year @ Toledo I picked up 3 of these from Okey...1955 Pontiac 2 door, 1956 DeSoto 4 door , 1956 Plymouth Belvedere 4 door...the 4th a 1959 Dodge 2 door I bought last year...there is another one a 1955 Pontiac convert but that one got away...

1st...1959 Dodge..$17 plus $12 for a resin interior thats a little rough, red tail lights , slight chassis detail, plus all the chrome and vacuum windows, steering wheel is very rough on mine..It also has the Torsion-Aire Ride parts..

IMGP0033-vi.jpg

IMGP0034-vi.jpg

IMGP0032-vi.jpg

the Dodge is my favorite one.

2nd is the 1955 Pontiac 2 door with plastic glass, it come with green but Okey will swap it out for clear. It comes in white , black or red. $17 and $12 for the resin interior, I also seen this offering as a convert but I was a little late to get one ...molded in rear lights , chrome front and rear bumpers , grille and head lights...no chassis detail.

IMGP0014-vi.jpg

IMGP0030-vi.jpg

3rd is the 1956 Plymouth Belvedere 4 door molded in powder blue..$15 plus $12 for the resin interior, vacuumed clear windows, red glass tail lights, chrome front and rear bumpers and grille,

no chassis detail..

IMGP0015-vi.jpg

IMGP0027-vi.jpg

4th is the 1956 DeSoto 4 door molded in green..interiors are available , but Okey was out at this time..

$16 plus $12 for the resin interior $14 if you do not buy it when you purchase the kit..again vacuumed clear windows, molded in tail lights and the chrome, no chassis detail...

IMGP0013-vi.jpg

IMGP0025-vi.jpg

the Dodge is getting hard to get, E-bay is fetching some high prices...donor kits are still easy to find for higher detail builds on all of these 55 Chevy , 58 Plymouth etc..

Okey had some 59 Ramblers and the Plymouth police cars, a few Olds Cutlass kits ,decals and tires..

Right now I'd be happy with the 55 Pontiac convert...maybe he'll be at NNL East....

This year @ Toledo I picked up 3 of these from Okey...1955 Pontiac 2 door, 1956 DeSoto 4 door , 1956 Plymouth Belvedere 4 door...the 4th a 1959 Dodge 2 door I bought last year...there is another one a 1955 Pontiac convert but that one got away...

IMGP0033-vi.jpg

IMGP0034-vi.jpg

the Dodge is my favorite one.

the Dodge is getting hard to get, E-bay is fetching some high prices...

That's one of my favorites too Ken! I have two kits like yours, an original '59 buildup, and a body that I got from Okey to be used to fix a certain Plymouth down the road. ;)

You're not kidding about the prices on eBay! It's amazing what guys will pay for something with no interior and no engine! :P

Something I've always wondered though, is someone somewhere producing the '59 Dodge kit? It seems like I'm always seeing them on eBay like they're still being made. Or is it just there's an awful lot of them to be sold yet? :P

I've got to get my hands on one of those '59 Dodges! My Dad had a black '59 Coronet 2 door for a work car that was still sporting the wide white sidewall tires, I loved that car. My older brother hated it however, this was about 1968 and he drove it to school, all the kids would tease him and call it the "Batmobile"! My dad ended up buying him a '60 Pontiac Catalina for a school car! I wonder how the AMT '58 Plymouth chassis will fit under this kit?

i don't know if anyone has brought it up at all recently, ( i appologize if it has, blame it on the newbie!) But does Okey have ANY future plans on re-releasing any of the cool old Johan funny cars, like the pinto, mustang, or challenger funnies?? or how about any of the other neato kits he did, like the 63 olds starfire, or the Sox & Martin superbird drag car? i am a little out of the loop with the Johan thing, and maybe someone on here who really got to talk with Okey could enlighten me?? thanks much!! chris coffey, spokane, WA

It would be nice if somebody could get Okey to give an update here or at least to one of the model car magazines, kind of a from the horse mouth thing instead of the my friend's, uncle's cousin's aunt knows his mom's sister's neighbor's dog walker and she said...

But anyway B) what I have gotten is Johan was in much worse shape than he knew when he bought it, and sales were not as brisk as he had hoped. On top of that there were some unfortunate incidents involving the re-issues. I'm always hoping that Johan's fate will improve but I'm not holding my breath. I'd love to see the '66 Cadillac ambulance available again and wish I'd bought more of the Fury's when they were available.

I like that Desoto, are these kits styrene bodies with resin interiors or all resin?

Edited by Aaronw

Aaron , the bodies are promo style made of styrene, the interiors are resin....the glass is a coin toss.

Johan has had issues for awhile now , depending on who you ask answers will vary...Okey keeps trying and hanging on , I heard some good things are happening at Johan , but again it depends who you told you....I would love to see some good things happen at Johan too, but it has to start with ownership......

I have the DeSoto. Mine is molded in yellow. I'm not sure that it IS styrene. It doesn't feel like it to me, it feels more like ABS. Amboid doesn't touch it which lends credence to my theory.

It doesn't trim like regular styrene either....

I started working on mine, but I set it aside for now because I really didn't feel like doing ALL that BMF work needed! LOL!

What I wonder is if anything that has been sold under the Johan banner since Okey took over is newly molded product, or if it's all repackaged leftover stock that he obtained when he bought the company.

The last Johan product I bought at my local hobby shop was the Turbine Car curbside.

I'm pretty sure that was the last newly molded product, I suspect these color pieces may be leftover stock. Part of the problem has been if you can't make it to the shows, it's hard to buy current Johan product. Doing the shows is better than nothing at all, but until there's a significant amount of kits hitting the shelves, it's hard to look at Johan at this point as anything except a cottage industry business. I'd sure like to see Okey maybe work out some kind of partnership deal with Lindberg, they're at least showing an ability to get old tooling working and get product out to market.

The last Johan product I bought at my local hobby shop was the Turbine Car curbside.

I'm pretty sure that was the last newly molded product, I suspect these color pieces may be leftover stock. Part of the problem has been if you can't make it to the shows, it's hard to buy current Johan product. Doing the shows is better than nothing at all, but until there's a significant amount of kits hitting the shelves, it's hard to look at Johan at this point as anything except a cottage industry business. I'd sure like to see Okey maybe work out some kind of partnership deal with Lindberg, they're at least showing an ability to get old tooling working and get product out to market.

That's pretty much how I've been looking at Johan, kind of like a resin caster, got to get the kits when you can. That would be great if Lindberg and Johan could work out something like the Model King has with the Revell and AMT kits.

Anyone have an address or website for Okey?That Pontiac and Plymouth are too cool

http://www.johanmodels.com/

okey@johanmodels.com

I got the Pontiac, Belvedere, and the Cutlass off of the web site. It appears that the colors of the kits Okey sells at the shows are different than those offered through his site. I've also ordered the promo version of the 59 Rambler. I'm still waiting on it, but he said it would take some time. Too bad I'm never near any show where he attends.

X2 Stoga...err...Phil!