Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dec. Issue

I am thankful we have choices, wish we had 10 or more different model car related magazines, I would certainly buy each and every issue. people have to learn to stop complaining so much and start to be more thankful that between the mags and the forums today we have something that was missing a few years ago.

There are a few 'hole in the wall' automotive modeling magazines out there if you know where to look, though most of them are dedicated to one particular niche in the hobby. 'Kustom and Hot Rod Models' comes to mind, but I know there are at least a few others I'm not remembering at the moment.

There are a few 'hole in the wall' automotive modeling magazines out there if you know where to look, though most of them are dedicated to one particular niche in the hobby. 'Kustom and Hot Rod Models' comes to mind, but I know there are at least a few others I'm not remembering at the moment.

Lowridering in scale magazine, model car builder are two other ones you can check it out on magcloud.com and order them in either print form or digital downloads, I have em all mostly digital downloads you can read them instantly after you pay for them and they run about 1.99 each. Thing is with Kustoms and Hot Rod Models mag I spoke with the guy that puts it out and sales were so bad hes going to a bi annual schedule so that means only two mags a year and it may even go to 1 issue a year in fact.

Edited by Darren B

I have to say ... IF the reviews were more current, then having a bunch of reviews would be fine. But, SA(noE) being full of reviews on OLD kits that have been out for months (or years, in the case of their "Classic Kit" series) is pointless.

The past couple of years, virtually every kit they've reviewed was on the market so long before they got around to their review that I had already bought it and either built it or grokked it. Their reviews were old news. In this internet era, they should not waste the time and pages talking about year-old releases. And when they can't tell an AMT from a Revell . . .

:wacko:

(or years, in the case of their "Classic Kit" series) is pointless.

I completely disagree. I think having a classic kit review is a cool way to bring to mind to those who may not be aware, where our hobby was at one time, and how new issues of old kits may or may not differ from older ones.

Edited by midnightprowler

The best way (and the cheapest) to get the magazine is to subscribe. The per issue cost is a lot less when you subscribe.

But not neccesarily the way to get it in mint condition! :P

I agree that Gary Schmidt and Scale Auto Enthusiast resurected the then dead hobby of model car building. Without Gary taking that chance, the hobby may not have had the comeback and the ride we've all enjoyed the last 25 years!

I read BOTH magazines and will say that both entities are doing a fine job working in a market where there is no money to be made. I just read in the last posted circulation statement in Model Cars that paid circulation is around 6000 copies. How do you make money at that number? Both magazines are at the mercy of hobbiests, who are poorly paid if at all, who aren't the best at honoring deadlines or coming through at all. If you've suffered the stress of putting out a club newsletter, multiply that angst by 100.

Both magazines can only print what the faithful submits, along with what the one guy, Greg or Jim, can produce themselves. There is no newsroom with 100 reporters like Time Magazine here! If people send in kit reviews, they get printed. (BTW, I saw a ton of them in the last 2 issues of MC too!) If we all were to submit dynamite build articles both magazines would be all the better!

The market has changed drastically. How can a magazine that needs to have a 3-6 month lead time compete with the Internet on contest results? Why spend 8 pages on photos of a long past contest when hundreds of photos were available on the Internet that very night? As far as tips and techniques, there are only so many things we can do. And the elementary how-to articles are there for those coming into the hobby. They weren't around the last time the magazine did an article on airbrush techniques, and that article will sell the issue. If all the how-to articles were at a very advanced level, we'd lose the newbies. And we can't afford that at all.

And remember that advertising dollars have all but disappeared. Everything is sold on the Internet now. I'm amazed that they can continue publishing.

If you really want to see where both magazines are at, go find an old issue of Model Car Science. Talk about elementary! The magazine is written for kids, with heavy influence from manufacturers and is maybe 25% slot cars. The current magazines are light years ahead of that!

I've had subscriptions to both magazines and for me, neither one offered anything that I

(1) couldn't do without or

(2) couldn't get from any of the various forums/sites on the internet

Not to mention the price for a subscription to either one and that one was always notorious for being late and/or mangled. :rolleyes: To quote an old saying "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"

I've had subscriptions to both magazines and for me, neither one offered anything that I

Not to mention the price for a subscription to either one and that one was always notorious for being late and/or mangled. :rolleyes: To quote an old saying "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"

I disagree. Both magazines offer content that is organized and edited better, in digestible sections, than on the forums, plus special material that doesn't exist here, such as MCM's tutorials, straightforward build journals without interrupting comments, diecast reviews, kit reviews by experienced professionals, clear photography and much more. I think the publications are very helpful and not as redundant as you suggest. People who are not interested in all that do not need to subscribe.

Maybe we should start charging you for the "free milk"...

I disagree. Both magazines offer content that is organized and edited better, in digestible sections, than on the forums, plus special material that doesn't exist here, such as MCM's tutorials, straightforward build journals without interrupting comments, diecast reviews, kit reviews by experienced professionals, clear photography and much more. I think the publications are very helpful and not as redundant as you suggest. People who are not interested in all that do not need to subscribe.

I agree with you Skip!