Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Charger 500 Pro Street

Speedpro

Started building this project awhile back and was sidelined due to a failed paint job. Got the body back to point A and is ready for paint once again. When I first started working on this, the idea was to build a simple pro street car out of it since this kit is lacking the detail to do anything else with it. Here's the kit that I am working on...........

showstuff159_zpsb2d9f101.jpg

The first step on this was to get some rubber under it in the rear. What was thought to be an easy "throw the tires under it" turned into a little more work than originally thought even though it has a metal axle (which is being used). The rear end from the kit is being used. The exhaust was cut off and the rear housing figured out and narrowed.........

showstuff160_zps4fd188a7.jpg

showstuff080_zpsd336d654.jpg

Then the frame rails had to be moved inboard. After figuring out where to move what, the frame was modified so the tires would fit. Here you can see the mount for the metal axle. The top hole is the new hole for the axle........

showstuff168_zpse432ab4a.jpg

showstuff171_zps20620528.jpg

showstuff172_zpsee90ce73.jpg

Now the tires will fit, but the wheelwell opening will have to be worked on. The tires are hitting the body and pushing it outwards around the lower part of the wheel opening.

showstuff082_zps7d86ff50.jpg

Next up: Stretching the wheel openings

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Much appreciated

nice !! btw i did a yellow molded kit ounce .. i dont know why but i hate anything else then white .. :)

I know what your saying richard! The yellow this kit is molded in is like really soft and parts flex real easy.

Here's a update on stretching the wheel openings. First thing I did was find center of the opening. Then I taped off the area that was going to be cut out of the quarter panel.

showstuff078_zpsda51c402.jpg

After checking things twice, the quarter panel was cut. Once the piece was removed it was cut in half and each piece was trimmed on the ends then attached back on the quarter panel with some tape. You can see buy the gap how much the opening is stretched. A gap was purposely left on top as that is the thickness of the blade when the panel was cut. This gap will be filled with sheet plastic and super glue.

showstuff085_zpsd28dd574.jpg

showstuff086_zps9a3689ec.jpg

And here is the panel back together and ready for some fin tuning. It's close to where I want it even at this point.

showstuff089_zps7c2c9f0b.jpg

Here's the other side being done...........

showstuff090_zpsb69f25ca.jpg

showstuff091_zps824e3bbd.jpg

Just a couple more.....

showstuff094_zpsbc67583a.jpg

showstuff096_zps86a0d4a3.jpg

More to come...............

nice job. it's going well. love stretched wheel wells. haven't done them on a mopar yet, the new cuda may be the first for me. important thing is figuring out where to cut. nice job. big mopar fan and even a bigger pro street fan!! I will be watching...

hope you don't mind, this is a chassis of the AMT GTX which I did the same modifications to it that you did. can I suggest that next time you do it, cut the whole rear frame rail out and move it inboard. then you will not have the staggered frame. you can fill in the sides with sheet styrene. these are old pictures so they are not the best quality. I need to get a picture of the final product.

post-5121-0-57350400-1394540106_thumb.jp

post-5121-0-44720500-1394540126_thumb.jp

post-5121-0-43265900-1394540502_thumb.jp

Thanks for following along, Have another update, but first...............

Tubbs, Thanks for sharing that with me. Might have to give it a try sometime.

looks really good, where did you get those big boots(tires) from?

The rear tires came in revell kits like dobbertons j2000, max rat chevelle, matt hay's t-bird and others from around 1987-90. I'v scrapped alot of kits for these tires.

After figuring out what to do next, I decided to work on the engine bay. The detail (what there was of it) was terrible.

The idea was to make new panels for the firewall and inner fenders. But first I had to work on the front suspension (again, what there is of it). I made up a couple lower control arms and bent a paper clip to make the sway bar with.

showstuff129_zpse699bb6e.jpg

showstuff130_zpsbdf69e1f.jpg

Can you see how poor this kit is yet! Next I started work on the inner fenders. The panels where cut off. Take a close look at the detail in that panel. Paper templates were made up and transferred to some sheet plastic.

showstuff131_zpsc9236775.jpg

showstuff132_zps8d14bc9b.jpg

The firewall was next. All I did was cut it in half, saved the bottom, made a new top and trimmed to fit. Still more work to do in this area. After cutting the new inner panels out, they where fit and glued in place along with adding the top pieces to finish it off. I think it looks tons better.

showstuff133_zps5e1132fa.jpg

showstuff134_zpsf759e794.jpg

Also got a start on the roll bar....................

b11335a7-06e3-45db-8de3-5e54b525f23b_zps

showstuff107_zps1cd86cf2.jpg

More to come...................