Model Cars Magazine Forum

Commission Build Firetruck

Ok, I was tasked with taking a 1000 Series American LaFrance firetruck and making it look like a 700 Series from 1949. So, with that said, here are a few pics of what I've done so far. The first is a picture from the box and the rest are after surgery. I hope to finish this thing up in the next few weeks (at least have it ready for paint anyway).

2013-01-07221734.jpg

This is a pic with the back-end after I hacked out the more modern fender wheels/storage boxes and made it look more like the picture you see standing beside it.

2013-01-07221543.jpg

Since I had a spare kit to work with I glued one up to look like the box and set it beside the other.

2013-01-07221613.jpg

And I had to chop the darn thing plus fabricate headlights to look like the picture I was given. Still got some work to go.

2013-01-07221710.jpg

Once I get 'er done I'll post the pics. Btw, if someone has the old American LaFrance emblem that goes on the front of the cab I could sure use it so I don't have to figure out how to fabricate that :)

Scott Murray

Nice work! The 700 Series La France has many subtle differences than the 1000. I have been trying to adequately sculpt them into a classic 700 Series for some time. No one offers one in 1/25 or 1/24 scale, although Dave "Cargostar" Carey and Tom Coolidge are reportedly working on them. I can't wait til one becomes available, cause these have been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. My hometown ran a '53 into the early '70's.

Edited by hooknladderno1

Yeah...I know about the cab differences but was told by the person who asked me to do this to not do that surgery since I believe the cab on back is narrower as well. The goal is to make it as close as possible with the 1000 Series.

I do like that pic though and will have to swipe that from ya.