Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell AG VW Beetle

GeeBee

Another great project Geoff. I am sure this will be in the same league as your recent Mini.

I wasn't sure about the Revell kit (already having a Tamiya one on the shelf - waiting for me to get round to it), but your detailed pics make me think it's definitely worth picking up.

Keep up the good work!

That wheel looks spot on!

I used what was left of a giftcard and picked this up at my LHS. Looks fantastic. havn't started, got alot already cooking. The only things that looks iffy to me, is the transmission looks too blocky, and I don't care for how they did the front beam. It's cool that they give you a bamboo tray and flower vase. This definitely rivals the Tamiya kit, although that is an earlier car.

Judging from the extra parts, there is definitely a police version overseas, or in the works.

Not a lot to report on this, got all the wheels finished and got the body and body parts wet sanded and polished out, using the automotive acrylic paint certainly cut down the polishing time compaired to the cellulose lacquer I usually use.

The front seats have a seperate back to them, after a coat of grey primer I really wasn't happy with the join line, so they got a coat of bondo to fill in the gaps, re-primed and a couple of coats of satin black,

DSCN0545_zps80dd07f0.jpg

DSCN0546_zpsd5de1274.jpg

DSCN0568_zps78b92ab4.jpg

A little bit more done on this today, got the panel lines done on one side and the back, and the dash panel, the light grey for the roof liner and the back side panels were done with Tamiya acylic flat white with a few drops of grey mixed in to knock down the bright white.

DSCN0617_zps876278b0.jpg

DSCN0610_zps7eba0945.jpg

DSCN0607_zpsd5455319.jpg

DSCN0606_zps0a210635.jpg

DSCN0605_zps3e4a5824.jpg

DSCN0604_zps00c89d22.jpg

DSCN0611_zpsdcacd741.jpg

DSCN0612_zpsdac4f49f.jpg

That is coming along Beautifully! The seats look very convincing. I noticed on the headliner they have a dome light on both sides. The car should only have one on the driver's side. Since this could be built either left or right hand drive, they probably failed to mention that in the instructions.

Are you going to use the bamboo tray?

Edited by Zarana-X

Geoff, I think this is looking great. I love the color you chose.

I know you only do factory stock, but if you don't mind my asking: do you think the suspension on this kit would lend itself to lowering without the need for extensive fabrication?

Thank you!

I'm really not sure, as I've never tried it, the suspension on this one compared to the Tamiya '66 is a lot more basic but on the other hand stronger, I've took a few photo's of the instructions so you can make your own mind up ....

DSCN0622_zpsbc4a3211.jpg

DSCN0621_zpscb093237.jpg

DSCN0620_zpsfc0c31ae.jpg

DSCN0619_zps83a5488a.jpg

Not a great deal done today in the model room, but I did spend a little time this evening putting on the chrome trim on the running boards

DSCN0624_zps13211eab.jpg

Got a bit done to this one during the week ....

DSCN0655_zpsee6c7af9.jpg

DSCN0654_zps3ef5c3be.jpg

DSCN0653_zps2d2eea18.jpg

Side panels were a masking nightmare, primered in acrylic grey primer, body colour was airbrushed on without masking anything, then that was masked up so the white could be airbrushed, this was the same Tamiya white with a few drop of grey added to knock off the whiteness, then the whole lot was masked off again so the black door cards could be airbrushed, then it was masked up once again so the dark grey could be done at the front.

DSCN0652_zps6825081b.jpg

DSCN0650_zps39ed8ffd.jpg

I really wasn't happy with the colour I had airbrushed the floorpan, it really needed to be a lot darked, so I mixed some flat black in some Tamiya Tank grey, this time I'm much happier with the results.

DSCN0649_zps87ee3789.jpg