Model Cars Magazine Forum

BODY FILLERS?????

Yup! I swear by Dynatron Putty-Cote!

It feather edges terrifically...........Less than ½ hour and I can work with it! I apply mine a bit different though-----I primer the surface to be puttied, let the primer thoroughly dry, then put the putty on.

I found the putty seems to bite better this way, at least it's worked for me.

About 98% of the body work that was done on my '55 Ford was done using Dynatron. B)

One other thing I like about Dynatron, is it has a bit of plastic in it, so if you need to put on side trim for instance (Like my Ford) it'll stick right to it (using liquid glue) and bond with no problem. :mellow:

Edited by MrObsessive

The problem is that the Dynatron stuff is unobtanium around here, whereas Evercoat is available at nearly every auto body/paint supply store.

Evercoat is pricey, but to me it's worth it, and I don't have to go on a search and destroy mission just to find the stupid stuff! Trust me, every time I've gone into an auto parts store I look for alternatives...no such luck, it's the old-fashioned Bondo, or the Bondo spot putty that's not catylized. I prefer to steer well clear of both. Your mileage may vary.

That's funny Bob! Around here in PA I can't find Evercoat!

In fact trying to find Evercoat is what steered me to Dynatron. I stopped by a local auto body supply store one day years ago thinking for sure he would have it------he didn't, but he raved about Dynatron.

I was curious as I didn't want to traipse all over town looking for Evercoat--------and I've been hooked on it ever since. :mellow:

I use plain old Bondo. Cheap, available everywhere, and it works just fine. And for smaller stuff I use 2-part catalyzed Bondo glazing putty. (the "Professional" one. Their plain old glazing putty is one part, not catalyzed. No good-it'll shrink.)

And for smaller stuff I use 2-part catalyzed Bondo glazing putty. (the "Professional" one. Their plain old glazing putty is one part, not catalyzed. No good-it'll shrink.)

I would use that if I could find it! I mean, c'mon...there's a bloody Bondo factory in this town (or at least there was a few years ago), but the only glazing putty that can be found around here without going on a wild goose chase is plain old Bondo and their plain old non-catalyzed glazing putty. I prefer 3M's non-catalyzed glazing putty over the Bondo brand, but honestly never use it because of shrinkage.

I once had a tube of 3M catalyzed glazing putty, it was nice stuff. I really don't care what brand, generally catalyzed glazing putty is all pretty good. But around here seems that Evercoat is what you'll get 99.999% of the time.

Around here Bondo and the glazing putty is available in every auto parts store...NAPA, Pep Boys, Murray's, etc. It's everywhere!

Regular old Bondo and their regular old air-dry glazing putty is ubiquitouos around here, but you can't find any catalyzed glazing putty at any of the "normal" auto parts stores...have to get Evercoat at an autobody/paint supply store, which we have plenty of as well.

The distribution chain is yanking my chain :)

Around here Bondo and the glazing putty is available in every auto parts store...NAPA, Pep Boys, Murray's, etc. It's everywhere!

I Use Bondo Glazing & Spot Putty That Stuff Works Which I Found At Wal-Mart. I Use To Use Squadron Green Putty But The Bondo Is Cheaper You Get More Out Of It.

Regular old Bondo and their regular old air-dry glazing putty is ubiquitouos around here, but you can't find any catalyzed glazing putty at any of the "normal" auto parts stores...have to get Evercoat at an autobody/paint supply store, which we have plenty of as well.

The distribution chain is yanking my chain :)

Murray's (closest auto parts store to my house) has both the one-part and catalyzed glazing putty.

Maybe you ought to move to the big city!!! :blink:

WOW!!!! This post really took off!!! I was going through all of the websites of the auto stores in my city and nearby looking for Evercoat and not a single one of them has it!!! I knew someone would give me a better type.... Getting ready to call a few stores now to see if they have the Dynatron before I go running on a wild goose chase. THANKS ALOT GUYS!!!! I've been having some problems with trying to get the Testors contour putty to work for what I'm trying to do and its been making me VERY ANGRY!!!! I'm trying to fill in the dash gauges so I can use the PE gauges that look much better. I'm sure that will start a whole new conversation... :) YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

Haven't seen that anywhere.... You got a pic so I know what to look for next time I go to Hobby Lobby?? Unfortunately, thats the only hobby shop in my area. :D:(:angry: ....

prored.jpg

it's in a blister pak.

I don't have the box for milliputt any more, but it a small long skinny box that says milliputt on it.

prored.jpg

it's in a blister pak.

I don't have the box for milliputt any more, but it a small long skinny box that says milliputt on it.

WELL..... Thats something ELSE Hobby Lobby doesnt carry!!! The next time I move I'm gonna factor in HOBBY SHOP locations!!!! I'm so sick of having to go 45 miles to the nearest hobby shop that carries anything good!! IF ANYONE IS THINKING OF STARTING A HOBBY SHOP IN INDIANA, COME TO COLUMBUS, PLEASE!!!!!!!! We are in DESPERATE need of a GOOD hobby shop here!!!!!

Cal, is the Milliput the 2 part epoxy putty? If it is, you can get the same thing cheaper at Wal-Mart in their hardware department or at a local hardware. Borden's is 1 brand of it.

B)

Yeah but it's not the same stuff. Sometimes for fine work you need the fine grain of milliput.

I have tried those others and I use it for big basic shapes and done the finish work with milliput. It ends up being a finer smoother finish.

Hey guys. Do you mind if I jump in and semi-hijack this thread? I've checked locally and my choices in less than gallon size are limited, too. I can find plain ole Bondo, Bondo Professional, Bondo Professional Glaze, and Dynatron Dynalite. I know some of those were brought up, but which is gonna be best to use in small amounts? I don't wanna waste a bunch just to fill something really small. Also, I couldn't remember the name of the Dynatron stuff, and while searching for it, I ran across an Everclear putty in the same funny shaped bottle as the Bondo Pro Glaze. Is there any chance they'd be the same stuff? Thanks a bunch!

Im with Bill the Dynotron is awsome stuff . its fast drying easy sanding and enoughf putty to last years Ive got a tub of the stuff thats over three years old and still works great just be sure the lids on tight ! any car products place has it O'riellys, Autozone , Pepboys Napa's ... My huge 42 once container ran a little under $15 and the best way is to skim coat a little at a time , a little goes along ways ... its best to wear a resperator while sanding its very bad for the lungs to breath. you can wet sand it to keep the dust down a little and Im sure the fumes are bad for the brain cells :lol:

Bud Ellis Kustoms

Awwwwwww, BRAIN CELLS are overrated!!! :blink:<_<:o ... Just playin. I think it is very important to wear a respirator or a mask if you're messin with the chemicals found in almost every facet of our hobby. Who'd ever think that such a quaint lil' thing could be so DANGEROUS!! You got knives, paint, super glues, thinner, bondo dust, saws, lead solder, kittens, and who knows what kinda stuff is in the the other stuff that I cant think of right now..... :blink::D

Yup! I swear by Dynatron Putty-Cote!

It feather edges terrifically...........Less than ½ hour and I can work with it! I apply mine a bit different though-----I primer the surface to be puttied, let the primer thoroughly dry, then put the putty on.

I found the putty seems to bite better this way, at least it's worked for me.

About 98% of the body work that was done on my '55 Ford was done using Dynatron. :lol:

One other thing I like about Dynatron, is it has a bit of plastic in it, so if you need to put on side trim for instance (Like my Ford) it'll stick right to it (using liquid glue) and bond with no problem. :unsure:

Hey Bill??? Can you send me a pic of that Dynatron stuff?? I'm gonna go and try to find some tonight.... I went to HobbyTown USA last night and bought Squadron Green Putty and it MELTED my dash!!!!!! I'm so sick right now!!! I even asked the guy at the counter if it worked and he told me it would work just fine!!! Everything else I asked about he knew so I guess it isn't that bad... He said he builds military so maybe that doesnt require him to use filler??? Also, is it #592 filler???

Thanks again Bill!!!

Hey Bill??? Can you send me a pic of that Dynatron stuff?? I'm gonna go and try to find some tonight.... I went to HobbyTown USA last night and bought Squadron Green Putty and it MELTED my dash!!!!!! I'm so sick right now!!! I even asked the guy at the counter if it worked and he told me it would work just fine!!! Everything else I asked about he knew so I guess it isn't that bad... He said he builds military so maybe that doesnt require him to use filler??? Also, is it #592 filler???

Thanks again Bill!!!

BTW never every under any circumstances use Squadron Green or White for that matter, but the green is particularly aggressive.

I know someone who used it to counterweight a beautiful P38 Lightening, and the nose melted off.

I tried playing with the stuff and never had much luck. Testors Pro Red is the best I have come across, which in fact is some sort of automotive glaze.

I heard about this Dynatron and everywhere I have gone looking has either sold out and isn't restocking it or pulled it from the shelf. Apparently the stuff is so nasty they wont sell it to the general public any more and the only way to get it is through wholesale.

Edited by CAL

I went to HobbyTown USA last night and bought Squadron Green Putty and it MELTED my dash!!!!!! I'm so sick right now!!! I even asked the guy at the counter if it worked and he told me it would work just fine!!! Everything else I asked about he knew so I guess it isn't that bad... He said he builds military so maybe that doesnt require him to use filler??? Also, is it #592 filler???

Thanks again Bill!!!

One of the worst modeling putties to be foisted on the unsuspecting modeling guy has got to be Squadron Putty!! :lol: That stuff has got to be the worst!

I'm sorry to hear about your dash...........I wish you could have ask us guys about it before you bought/used it...........can you get a replacement dash?

There is a certain technique to using Squadron----my biggest beef with the stuff is it's TERRIBLE shrinkage even long after the body or part has been painted leading to cracking. Some have used it maybe with no problem----I haven't met 'em............

Small amounts is the key, but that junk never seems to dry well, not to mention it doesn't seem to feather edge well if it ever does dry. :unsure:

The guy at the LHS is a military builder.........not to minimize that type of building, but maybe he doesn't even notice the terrible reactions after so long.........who knows? Yeah, I'm sure there are some defenders of Squadron, but this long time builder can't stand the junk! :lol:

Yes, it is stock #592 for the Dynatron, here's a small pic of it...........

592.jpg

Hope you can find it, if not the 'Bay has some listed on there, but then you gotta deal with shipping.

Let us know how it works out!