Model Cars Magazine Forum

Acrylic paints and floor polish. Tips to save money and get great results

Hey, thanks for watching Steve. First off I use Windshield washer fluid. NOT ANTIFREEZE. That will eat the styrene quick. So PLEASE do NOT use ANTIFREEZE lol. That said. I start with a 50/50 mix which is usually good. Sometimes if thick I add a little fluid, to thin I add paint. I stir then hold my stirrer up and it should drip at every second. If it runs off it is to thin, Don't drip to thick.When it comes to BMF I usually tape off all area's where the BMF goes. I paint, clear, polish and wax. I then remove the tape and add my BMF. I do how ever, use aluminum foil instead of BMF. I use low tac tape (Tamiya) around the trim. I cut out where the foil goes then add Micro metal foil adhesive. (some guys just use elmers glue thinned with water) I let dry a few minutes then put a piece of aluminum foil down. Burnish it with a Q-Tip. Let dry. I then cut off excess just like BMF and remove the tape and excess foil. Then I use a Q-Tip and polish it with mothers mag and wheel polish. I hope this helps and thanks for watching.

Thanks Tulio, but I am no PHD on savings. Just unemployed and broke lol. To post a link I right click the video while it is playing. click copy link location. Then a line comes up in the middle of the screen. Then just right click, click copy come over here and paste it in the chat pane. Thanks for taking the time to watch.

Thanks Chris for this. I see those bottles all the time and wondered about using them and saving some money. Never thought about using windshield fluid, that is a great idea. I do have a question on mixing. I am used to using Tamiya acrylic paints and usually just pour a little in the airbrush bowl and add some Tamiya acrylic thinner. I use the airbrush air pressure (by placing my finger over the nozzle) to mix the two in the bowl and then spray. Would that same process work here or should I change my method for these types of paints?

Scott Dockrum, for small amounts of paint that's what I do. one or two drops of paint and fluid max. For larger amounts for interior and body's I mix in a cup. Usually go 1/4 inch paint and 1/4 inch washer fluid. That is enough to completely cover an entire body.

Jason haneline, when she see's how much money you are saving she won't mind because she can now go spend all the money you saved.

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for doing this, it's a great help, may I ask, what are they main ingredients in the washer fluid and window cleaning liquid please, we don't have the brands you have used over here in the UK, if I know what the main ingredients are I can have a look for something similar over here...

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to do this...

Andy...

Thanks Scott, Ron and Andy! Andy, any windshield washer fluid and glass cleaner will work. Mine don't have ingredients on the bottles. Only thing is you do not want to soak an airbrush in anything with ammonia in it. It will eat away the seals. For that reason I stay away from ammonia based cleaners.

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for the reply, I guess the washer fluid will be made of a similar mixture as it's also supposed to stop it freezing up in winter, however, the window cleaning fluids over here are now mainly white vinegar based, I don't suppose your good self or anyone else reading this would know if this will be ok to use...

Many thanks once again...

Andy...

Andy, We have a product called Windex window cleaner here. It is ammonia based and works fine for thinning and cleaning acrylic based paints. Only problem if you soak your airbrush in it it will eat the teflon seals. But to mix and spray with it is fine. Just make sure you rinse or clean the airbrush well afterwards.

Glad to help Blair. Remember The easiest way to learn this is buy a 2oz bottle of apple barrel paint at walmart for .59 cents. mix it with water and you now have 4 oz's of paint. Get an old body and spray it until you have complete coverage of paint. If you have puddles or runs you got to close or went to slow. Take it to the sink and wash it off. Then respray again. wash it off and respray. You can do 6 to 7 bodies with four ounces of paint. A cheap way to practice.