Model Cars Magazine Forum

Everybody eats bread right?

Found out something very useful today.While twisting the tie back on a loaf of bread,I noticed the wire inside the tie.So I stripped away the covering and had a small bendable wire. This is useful in many apps for modeling and it's bendable and keeps it's shape.Just thought I'd pass it on to you guys-Give it a look and recycle those ties for a better use than throwing them away. :D

i use a similair type of wire for all sorts of stuff

just the other day i was scratchbuilding an exhaust and i needed to mate a piece of sprue to some 1/8th styrene tubing and i drilled a hole in the sprue and supergleud the wire in there

then i supergleud the wire in the tubing and put some testors on the joint

these twisty ties would work great for that

I grab the twist ties that come in the box with the plastic garbage bags we buy. We normally tie the tops of the bags "rabbit-ear" style, so all the ties that come in the box are "extra". Also, having never been twisted, they're nice and straight and I think the wire is a little higher quality than the bread-ties.

David G.

Smiths food store here in Turkey town has bundles of them in the vegetable department for tying off the bags you bag the vegeies in,,, not advocating stealing or anything but from time to time have gotten a few for a few projects......

In regards to the twist ties in the vegetable department, I would imagine if you soaked the twisties overnight in water the paper would peel off rather easily, then running the wire through a paper towel soaked in paint thinner or acetone would get rid of any remaining adhesive. BTW I would never condone stealing these from a grocery store. However, when I am paying over $3.00 a pound for tomatoes I will usually twist one of the ties around the bag to keep thing from falling out and put another dozen or so in my pocket just in case the one on the bag falls off.

• Haha 1

• 11 years later...
On 5/25/2011 at 1:21 PM, Mysterion said:

When the bread loaves have the square or rectangular plastic clips, I save them and use them as disposable body putty spreaders.

You can use rubber cement to attack the plastic ties to ziplock bags and hang them on peg board.

I'm glad you posted this tip, Ray.

I have a flat of twists I located some years ago. They have lasted me through several projects. It is pretty easy to strip of the green paper just by cutting along the wire with an blade. Your fingernail can finish the clean up. They do polish up, but being metal, they oxidize even with a coat of wax. I use them for brake hardline and engine plumbing. The hard lines for the NOS system seen below are made from them. You can see how they oxidized. Maybe a clear coat would help?

LRMotorPS345-vi.jpg

On 5/25/2011 at 2:21 PM, Mysterion said:

When the bread loaves have the square or rectangular plastic clips, I save them and use them as disposable body putty spreaders.

Yup. Easy to cut into special shapes too, like curves, or V-shapes for making a peak.

Bagged & Tagged: An Introductory Field Guide to Plastic Bread Clips ...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy