Model Cars Magazine Forum

I decided the time has come for me to build yet another 1/12 scale Super Seven, (it has been almost six years since I finished my last one), the only “problem” is I don’t have any more kits of them.

If I counted correctly, this will be my 7th 1/12 scale Seven.

So instead of shopping for one, I grabbed a sheet of brass and started cutting, beating and bending.

I am not sure why I started with the hood first, it just seemed like a good idea.

DSC01216.jpg

DSC01217.jpg

DSC01218.jpg

Edited by Scale-Master

I cast very few parts for the last one, most of what I made was used as parts, not patterns. I think the seats and the wheel centers are the only cast parts on the Blue one. And I don't want this one to look like the others, so those 7 spoke rims will not be used on this one.

Since I don't have and am not building a kit, it could very well end up as a scratch-built model. It will not run, at least not on purpose... B)

I do not have a real Seven. I thought about it, but went with a Corvette instead.

I cast very few parts for the last one, most of what I made was used as parts, not patterns. I think the seats and the wheel centers are the only cast parts on the Blue one. And I don't want this one to look like the others, so those 7 spoke rims will not be used on this one.

Since I don't have and am not building a kit, it could very well end up as a scratch-built model. It will not run, at least not on purpose... B)

I do not have a real Seven. I thought about it, but went with a Corvette instead.

Since this is #8 is that going to be a recurring theme in the part? 8 spokes?

I think the 1/12 scale Blue "Superb" Seven was the 7th Seven if I count the 1/24 and 1/12 scales (Caterham and Lotus) I had done up to that time.

This one is the 7th 1/12 scale Seven, but it may not be a true Caterham or a Lotus although it will be based on Super Seven principles to a certain degree.

Confused yet?

The short answer to your question Pete is no, it will not have a theme as an "Eight" or a "Seven" or even a "Ten or Eleven"...

OK, so next I figured I’d make a wheel for it.

I have a hood, and a leftover tire to fit a rim to. All I need to do is make a wheel and then just fill in the stuff between them, right?

I started off with a chunk of 6061 aluminum rod stock, (actually two like this):

DSC01242.jpg

Using the lathe, I turned out two parts like this. The basic shape of the face of the spokes/spider is cut in at this point.

Front:

DSC01245.jpg

Back:

DSC01246.jpg

I made sure they nested together with a positive fit:

DSC01247.jpg

Next I cut out everything that wasn’t the spider part of the wheel on the mill and added lug holes:

DSC01252.jpg

Here is the dry assembled rim:

DSC01255.jpg

I used a 195/50R15 tire. The standard Tamiya kit provided a 15X6 rim. I wanted more. So my rim is 15X8. Any wider (in my mockups) and the tread bowed in like it was underinflated. 8 inches wide is pushing it for this tire, but I like the way the sidewall looks now.

A stock Tamiya (a spare tire from a previous build) is on the right for comparison:

DSC01256.jpg

DSC01257.jpg

The almost finished wheel; it needs a little surface fine tuning before making a mold:

DSC01254.jpg

Yes, I am familiar with the Donkervoort's. But I'll stick to the more traditional 4 cylinder and lightweight balance of Colin Chapman's Lotus and subsequent Caterham mentality. But since I am not using a kit I'll refer to the basic plans described in the "how-to build a Seven in your garage" tyoe books I have read. Lots of room for personal modifications and still have the spirit of a Seven.

The Tamiya tires do work on the new 8 inch wide rims, and going any wider would not be logical on a real car. But I am exploring making new tires too. Maybe go to a 225/50R15?

And thanks!

Andy, the answer to your question is contained in the text below...

I was enjoying the mill work so much I decided to make a cam cover, something custom to contain a bit rowdier pair of cams. The bolt pattern is the same as what would mount to a BDR Cosworth head. I milled this out of 7075 aluminum. This is the top:

DSC01292.jpg

And this is the underside cut to fit the head (I still need to make) positively:

DSC01293.jpg

Here I have added the fittings for the PCV line and a made a “710 cap”…

DSC01295.jpg