Model Cars Magazine Forum

see a build , gotta have it

what is this addiction ,, I see a build on here and the first thing is I am amazed at the build , second thing that happens is , gotta get the kit , NOW !!! and now as in if you don't get it they will vanish from the face of the earth ,so you look for said kit and in the search you see a different car and another , in just a few very very very short weeks I have managed to get around 30 kits and 8 more for sure are coming next week , now this got me thinking , how many will actually get built , is half the fun just buying the kit and seeing the box ,, oh well , time to look at a few more kits :wacko:

The really nice thing about getting cool kits is you have some on hand to build if the build mood changes and they can be great trading power for something you have missed out on...I miss out on special kits all the time my area has no real place to get them. You have plastic in your blood just like the rest of us here which there is no cure for but who cares about a cure :lol: . I do have to agree with you about new or re-issued kits just vanishing from the market way too soon..its a bummer.

a female's point of view ,,, first off ,, all my female friends think I am totally wacked ,, when we go out shopping I would say things like ," yeah those manolo blahniks are nice but I am going to Guitar Center , meet you for lunch in 2 hours" , anyway , a long time ago I realized you guys had all the cool toys and had all the cool fun stuff and I wanted in and the heck with what everyone says ;)

Edited by CrazyGirl

a female's point of view ,,, first off ,, all my female friends think I am totally wacked ,, when we go out shopping I would say things like ," yeah those manolo blahniks are nice but I am going to Guitar Center , meet you for lunch in 2 hours" , anyway , a long time ago I realized you guys had all the cool toys and had all the cool fun stuff and I wanted in and the heck with what everyone says ;)

nice!!!

Same thing for those who collect DieCast.

I don't collect but I do buy hundreds of the same castings for my use.

I coined a term for this, The addiction of acquisition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once you've filled several closets, a garage and back porch, and two climate controlled warehouses, much will never be seen again.

CadillacPat

" yeah those manolo blahniks are nice but I am going to Guitar Center , meet you for lunch in 2 hours" , anyway , a long time ago I realized you guys had all the cool toys and had all the cool fun stuff and I wanted in and the heck with what everyone says ;)

You build models, are into cars, AND your a musician?!?! Wow, good for you. If more people were gender-blind, more people would enjoy themselves.

BTW: Just to re-direct the gender comment, I myself have been known to treat myself to a pedicure/foot massage on occassion. I enjoy it. ;)

Oh, and as for the model buying it's normal. It gets to the point where you'll find a kit one day stashed away and you'll ask yourself "What the heck was I thinking when I bought THIS!?!?"

Thats what I said to myself when I found 3 Surfite kits stashed away.

Oh, and as for the model buying it's normal. It gets to the point where you'll find a kit one day stashed away and you'll ask yourself "What the heck was I thinking when I bought THIS!?!?"

I'll gladly take a couple of those off your hands , PM me if you are interested .

i recently found a hot pink vw bug in my stash...when the heck did i buy that????

The fun of buying models is almost as much fun as finishing a model! You get to open it and grok the contents, hold it up to the light and imagine the things you are going to do with it. Research it on the Internet, talk about it on the boards. All without actually putting glue to plastic!

And building up a collection is harmless fun. You've bought a lot of stuff lately, but I'll bet you haven't missed a meal or mortgage payment because of it. Have fun. Life is short.

And the best part is once you have a sizable collection and have forgotten half of it. Going through the model room is like Christmas morning! You find stuff you never saw before!

Edited by Tom Geiger

New (old?) model car slogan...

Model kits... Betcha can't buy just ONE!!!

Agreed

This is just the visible end of one shelf , I have 4 shelves same size and depth ( 3 kits deep ) but this is just the Johan stack.

Yeah, I have a problem

Johan.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

i recently found a hot pink vw bug in my stash...when the heck did i buy that????

I have about 4 of those pink bugs. I am thinking the same!

Anne, you are off to a great start building and buying. This is a very addicting hobby but I am very glad I have chosen it as mine.

My only advise is keep track of what you have in your collection otherwise you will end up with 4 pink bugs. :)

My kit buying habits have evolved. When I first got back into model cars, I would buy new kits that I knew I wanted to build. I'd buy them as soon as they came out because I didn't want to miss out. My kit stash grew by a lot, and it's to the point where I feel guilty about the size.

Now that I've been to a few model car shows, I realized that most if the kits I will want to build in the future will be available for half-price. So, I've pretty much stopped buying new kits, and stick to the swap meets. I do keep my eye out for rare kits, but mostly I window shop, and spend my hobby budget on detail parts and paint.

But yeah, it was that fear of missing out, aka FOMO that drives a lot of marketing plans and I fell right into the trap. Seth Godin has an interesting take on the phenomenon and is far more eloquent than I.

I know the feeling well Dave. I'll see a kit that someone just paid $100 dollars for on Ebay, and I'll find one half that price elsewhere. My budget will be screaming "NO", but my FOMO will be quietly saying "You'll never find it at that price again..." It's funny how I can hear the whispering over the screams. So I'll buy it, and then go on a diet (ryhme not intended). Now I have enough kits to build until doomsday, and I still buy more... <_<