Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Corvette Grand Sport

Scottnkat

Well, here is the completed Accurate Miniatures Corvette Grand Sport. The kit I received had no photo-etched parts or decals, so I made due without the P/E stuff and made my own decals. It's not based on any specific car. This kit is really wonderful with lots of detail everywhere you look. It is also a pain in the @$$ in some places making things fit as they should. I would love to buy another one sometime. Well, on to the pics:

DSCN2256a.jpg

DSCN2244a.jpg

DSCN2245a.jpg

DSCN2246a.jpg

DSCN2247a.jpg

Oops - forgot to have the obligatory engine shot:

DSCN2250a.jpg

Guest G Holding

You got the first issue of that kit, the hood is the giveaway. The later kit has 2 sheets of PE, 1 is for the hood louvers, I just got this from Tower for $11.00...a steal for a level 3 kit! I think that is a 67..as it is not a splitwindow!..Nice Build!

Edited by G Holding

Thank you, Greg - It could well be a '67 for all I know. The box said '63, but then I've seen other kits where the box had a mistake. Thanks for that input

The first part of the build was a piece of cake. When it comes time to put it all together, take your time and be patient - it took me 10 minutes to get the chassis and body together just going back and forth between the back of the car and the front of the car (gotta get that little pin in the hole in back - now I've gotta get the carb around the brake cylinder - oh, back to that rear pin again - and back and forth). Still, it's a well-built model and I did enjoy it alot.

The Accurate Miniatures kit depicts a 1964 Vette. The side scallops or louvers are one way to guide in year identification. The 63 had the 2 scallops and the split rear window. The 64 had the regular rear window and the same 2 horizontal scallops. The 65 and 66 had the 3 vertical scallop openings. Now telling a 65 apart from a 66 is more difficult. In the 65, the car had roof vents. In the 66 the roof vents were gone. The grille was a little different too but hardly noticeable. Then the 67 went with the closely spaced 4 scallops, 5 openings...or louvers or whatever ya wanna call 'em.

The Grand Sport project began with the 63, even though it did not have the factory split window.....that arrangement weighed too much! The chassis had nothing to do with the Vette you could buy....other than the suspension. The frame was a round tube affair tha was stiffer than the stock frame and lighter as well.

This build is very nice closely resembling the Sebring car Driven by Roger Penske among others. The hood is not correct for that car, as it had the louvered hood with the louvers covered, and did not have the single oil cooler on the rear deck, but instead had a pair of smaller coolers, actually GM power steering coolers on either side of the location for the single cooler. R&MCOM has the proper power steering coolers available in resin.

A nice build of a tough kit.

Even though I'm a Ford guy through and through, the Corvette Grand Sport is a fascinating story. There is an excellent book by Lowell C. Paddock and photographer Dave Friedman that was published by Classic Motorbooks. (It may still be available on Amazon or directly from Classic Motorbooks.)

There were only five of these cars built and the truth is there were almost no production parts used. The body was slightly smaller than a production Vette and was made in one piece (except for the doors, hood, and deck lid). It was hand laid in three layers of fiberglass and was only .006" thick. All of this was done to save weight of course and the entire car only weighted 2,000 pounds.