Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Few Works In Progress

endbelldrive

Hi guys. These are a few projects that have been on the go for quite a while.

This is the old 1/32 Revell 1955 Chrysler New Yorker kit. The plan is to build a brass chassis circa 1964 and power it with a Revell RP66 motor:

000_0254.jpg

It was massaged a bit so I can turn it into Tim Flock's Kiekhaefer Chrysler 300:

gallery_396_336_38682.jpg

These old kits make for interesting slot car conversions. This is the Mercury Montclair which will be converted from a 4 door to a 2 door NASCAR or a Carrera Pan Americana racer:

gallery_396_336_9035.jpg

gallery_396_336_43352.jpg

This is a carved 1/32 balsa body I did of Oscar Kovaleski's Ferrari Super Monza "Car 54 Where Are You?"

000_0250.jpg

It was used as the Auto World logo back in 1963. The logo on the top right corner was done by Ed Roth and the one on the lower left corner is the Car 54 Super Monza

autoworld_63.jpg

This catalogue was my first exposure to slot cars although I didn't get my first "road race set" until Christmas 1964.

A 1/32 hand carved balsa version of Len Terry's Shelby Can Am...aka King Cobra Can Am...

000_0251.jpg

...with lotsa curves which I like but the rear wheel wells will have to be reinforced with nylon dampened with lacquer thinner on the inside because the balsa in really thin and overhangs the tires slightly. Shoulda picked a car with radiused wheel wells!

That was me! I covered the top of this mold with layers of paper and white glue.

gallery_396_336_39518.jpg

gallery_396_336_35262.jpg

Unfortunately I gave it a coat of Grumbacher gesso which is more like a latex than a real gesso. It leeched into the white glue and turned it rubbery...which is good for crashes but lousy for mounting the body because it's kind of warped.

Next time I'm going to try the fine RC model airplane fiberglass and CA glue on the inside of a cheapo plaster mold.

One of these days I'm going to hit the local RTV silicone and resin distributor and get me some real molding and casting materials. :oops: :D

Endbell (If I can call you by your first name!), when you convert one of the old Revell 1/32 scale bodies how do you make windows for them? The kit recommended method of cutting from flat celluloid doesn't seem to work real well for the deep compound curves on things like the Chrysler.

Thanks for the info. It'll be interesting to see your solution and how it comes out! Despite the challenges, it sure is a lot of fun converting the old 1/32 kits into slot cars. BTW, you did a great job of fitting and cleaning up that multi-piece body! It looks like it was molded in one piece.