Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scout ll, aka Big Red

My take on the AMT Scout that Jeff (jeffs396) alluded to in my introduction post. I scribed in the various missing panel lines on the body. Lift came via a spring over conversion. Baja Claws from Ma's Resin, mounted on wagon wheels from the Swamp Rat Jeep. The wheels are 6 bolt and wrong for a Scout, but it didn't bother me. Scratch built the front bumper and winch (hook and framework the cable comes out of from parts box). Spruced up the lackluster engine bay with a master cylinder, washer bottle, and scratched heater motor. Painted in Valspar IH Red and Krylon Gloss White. A fun build. I've got another one in the stash I need to dig out and build one of these days. Thanks for looking...

scoutandnova016.jpg

scoutandnova021.jpg

scoutandnova018.jpg

scoutandnova023.jpg

scoutandnova029.jpg

scoutandnova028.jpg

scoutandnova014.jpg

scoutandnova012.jpg

Glad you like it guys, thanks.

Chuck and Tom, you guys aren't kidding about this kit.....not much to it. I think that is the beauty of this one, it challenges you to bring it to life.

Really cool,been eyeing a few real scouts in my area.I am in the midst of on of these scots and it is a pain in the tail.What did you do to raise the suspension on it?

The stock suspension has a spring under setup (leaf springs under the axles). So to lift it, I did what they do with a lot of the 1:1's, a spring over. I carefully removed the leaf springs from the axles and remounted them on top. In doing this, the front sat slightly lower than the rear, so I fabbed up a crude set of shackles for additional lift. Here's a couple of pics I took during the build. Hope this helps some.

77scout009.jpg

77scout004-2.jpg

Thanks for the good words everyone.

Thanks,I have gone a little bit pasted that point and already made my own leaf springs for it.Thank you very much.

No problem Austin, hope to see pics of yours when you finish it.

Tony, you really did a great job best build of this kit l have seen. What color and brand paint did you use on the interior??

Thanks Carl. I believe it was Valspar Urban Beige for the interior.

Killer looking Scout! Nice job on the lift (and TY for the pics on your method). I miss my '78 II (lifted with 38's and SMC mill) all the time (except when time to fill it up...happened too often :P )

Sounds like it was a beast Stephen, I'm sure it was a the gas station too! When I was a kid a neighbor had a dark blue late 70's Scout on 32's or so. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, with maybe the exception of a friend of my parents who had a 390 powered, red '67 Galaxie fastback.