Model Cars Magazine Forum

'63 Vette GS #004 doubts

Hello everybody

I would apreciate some help from experts!!!

1) What are the chrome objects hanging on the door?
) What are the four black tubes? Cooling System? Where does each of them goes? (ok, we can see in the picture that two tubes goes to each valver cover.... but what about the other two???
3) What is the manufacturer (PPG, Dupont) and its paint code for the correct blue for this car?

Thanks guys!

Edited by Drago

Hi Casey, tks for the links... I already saw the RacingIcon restoration page but over there, just a paint name "Medium metallic blue" and unfortunately this doesnt help so much ... On the MCM link, Ron Hamilton mencioned "1960 Cadillac Pellham Blue".. I will try to find out more about this color at my auto-paint local shop.

G Holding I appreciate your help... Could you please share the links? Tks a lot!

Ok, this is the photo where we can see the chrome object which I dont know...
2824338987_6237607c83_o-vi.jpg

And here, the interesting tubes schema...
1_09_z12_hours_of_sebringmotor-vi.jpg

Any thoughts?

Edited by Drago

The chrome objects are lights to illuminate the number on the door for night endurance races. These were used as license plate lights on street Cobras.The hoses are an elaborate crankcase ventilation system plumbed from diaphragms on the valve covers to the header collectors. This draws off oil vapor and pressure and is usually two hoses (one each side) to the collector common on drag race cars.

Edited by Cato

Guest G Holding

The chrome objects are lights to illuminate the number on the door for night endurance races. These were used as license plate lights on street Cobras.The hoses are an elaborate crankcase ventilation system plumbed from diaphragms on the valve covers to the header collectors. This draws off oil vapor and pressure and is usually two hoses (one each side) to the collector common on drag race cars.

Gospel !!

http://www.racingicons.com/gs/004/index.html

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivo:1963_Corvette_Grand_Sport.JPG

gs004-02-2.jpg

Next on the agenda for Grand Sport #004 in 1964 was one of the most unusual and challenging races that any GS ever competed in: the Carrera de Costa Revival in Mexico. After a quick repaint to Daytona Blue and the addition of a massive front bumper guard, #004, with Delmo at the wheel, pounded it's way over the dusty, bumpy and dangerous roads to the finish at Acapulco, Mexico.

As far as the correct color, that will depend on what version of this car you wish to do, as the color was always changing, per this sheet

http://www.racingicons.com/gs/004/004-07.htm

Edited by G Holding

From my research, the car was painted Mecom blue which was a modified Pelham Blue. I had planned on just using the pelham blue as no-one currently (that I know) is producing the Mecom blue. The black hoses for the PCV system was not on the car when it raced as #004, from what I have been able to dig up. Nor was all the other, now required, safety bits and pieces like fire suppression system and external shut-off sticking out of the fender vents in your picture of the door. VRM (Vintage Racing Miniatures) makes an awesome decal sheet that includes this car. You can read the odometer on the guages and it has all the stickers this car raced with, including the copper strips for the CB radio.