Model Cars Magazine Forum

Long time lurker, in over his head. Project: Moving Violation

MuellerFace

So, after I decided to return to model car building after about 15 years I picked up the 2in1 40 Willys gasser kit. I built the truck (I'll post pictures after I fix it from falling off the shelf), then one night I got bored and decided to cut up the coupe, because I've always wanted to see a willys coupe without fenders. So I removed the fenders, sectioned the body, used card stock and body filler to create/reshape the lower rockers, reshaped the rear of the car and filled the trunk.

Truck before it was completely finished.

post-14041-0-18381800-1427089467_thumb.j

post-14041-0-99983400-1427089204_thumb.j

Then I built a frame, I need to figure out what to do for the front suspension, I know I'm going to goose neck the front end but im thinking/planning more than im working on it. The rear is going to be solid mounted like some of the most radical rat rods. I still don't know what motor I want to use, I've alread been stealing parts from the Orange crate kit that I failed to build.

post-14041-0-46358100-1427089298_thumb.j

This will be the ride height that I'm looking for.

post-14041-0-63259800-1427089970_thumb.j

I don't know how to spin the photos, my bad. I'm noob.

Thanks for looking!

Any comments are welcome.

I'm trying to make this thing look as haggard as possible, I think I'm going to make a wood floor in the passenger area, with the driveshaft exposed going right through the middle.

post-14041-0-94943200-1427089574_thumb.j

Well, my wife got me sick so I decided to tackle the goose necked front suspension mount, the mounting points are counter sunk into the frame so it isn't glued into place yet. I think I like the way it's looking though. I took the 29 ford rat rod speedster radiator cover and hollowed it out with my Dremel. Then I mod the front of the frame to match the conture of the radiator cover. I'm waiting for the filler to dry so I can smooth it out.

post-14041-0-81945800-1427184942_thumb.jpost-14041-0-84439700-1427184960_thumb.jpost-14041-0-38754400-1427184849_thumb.j

Thanks for the kind words! It's keeping me motivated. Pretty slow week as far as progress went I drilled out the quick change rear end from the Orange crate and added more appropriately sized axel tubes. Also modified the hubs to work, and counter sunk some pins for the wheels (they still need to be cut to lengh).

I started drawing up plans for a four link rear suspension, I know I said it was going to be solid mounted, but I felt bad for the imaginary person that'll be driving it, he would probably have some kidney problems. We'll see if I can make it work, getting everything to fit will be hard.

post-14041-0-33151100-1427573791_thumb.jpost-14041-0-77545200-1427573803_thumb.j

I think it would help us all if you find some way to re-orient the pictures.I like the project a lot but my neck hurts from laying on my side all the time to see them as they should be.It will be treat to see low down Willys hot rod instead of always having the nose in the air.Enough gassers already!Let's get creative.

Looks like you are making some nice progress, not fast, but at least it is going forward. Great looking chassis rails too.

Thanks, measure twice cut a few times, glue it together, scrap the whole thing, and start again on a new one. That's how I got to where it is now. I measured the corners on this one about ten times before I even put a dab of superglue on it to tack it in place. Since it's my first scratch built chassis, it's all a learning process.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I already started assembling the 427, good thing I didn't paint it yet. After thinking about it the flathead makes way more sense, seeing as how I wanted this to look like a few buddy's built it in a garage with whatever parts they had laying around.