martinfan5

74 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay for a premium memebership

• Yes
    • No
    • None of the above, I dont really care
    • Monkeys are cool
    • Whats for dinner ?

From what I have been told about the bigger Magazines is that adds pay for it . Our subscription is only extra money for the magazine. That is why you can get bigger Magazines (hot rod,playboy)for a dollar an issue or so.

And that's why it drives me nuts when somebody comes on the board and does the comparison that Model Cars Magazine should be $10 a year because they get another magazine for that price. The big magazines have huge circulations and yes, is pretty much paid for by the advertising. And they'll beg you to take that magazine for near free so that they can command the advertising prices by circulation.

My wife subscribed to Oprah Magazine for a year. Then she didn't renew. She got a bunch of renewal pleas and they never stopped sending issues! The latest piece she got from them offered her the magazine for $5 a year. We just laughed. She didn't want the magazine.

Public Broadcasting has had to accept intrusive advertising into their programming because so many folks want something for nothing, and seem to think it's always the other guy who should pay their way. You just can't fight the cheap and selfish aspects of human nature, so let the ads remain, whatever it takes to keep this going.

a number of other sights have ads (not poppers) which I imagine are there to offset operating expenses. the ads are relevant to the site theme, so just like in magazine-dom, they are a source of some information and somewhat helpful.

Edited by southpier