Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 360 Spider question

This is gonna be wonna them "long story" things. The other day I went out to run some errands and I asked my wife if there was anything I could get for her while I was out. She said, "Oh...get me a Ferrari." Well, since one of my errands was to get some paint at the LHS, I happened to see a Revell Ferrari 360 Modena Spider...so I bought it (and I even remembered the paint) and brought it home for her. I was actually hoping to find a 330 P3, but it was this or an Enzo.

It took her completely by surprise ans she got quite a chuckle out of it.

So now I'm starting to build it so she can display it alongside the Jeff Gordon Monte Carlo (she's a big fan of his) that I built for her.

I did my normal web-based research to see what I could find out about this car and I found something I don't understand. That's where the question comes in. Here's a pic of the 1:1 prototype:

ferrari_f360_spyder_03.jpg

See the mesh thing between the roll bar hoops? I can't figure out what it is. It reminds me of a screen door in a submarine. Fly catcher? Something to keep yer girlfriend's long hair outta the engine compartment? I dunno. So any ideas (preferably those who might really know) would be appreciated.

TIA,

That's called a wind-blocker. When driving a convertible the aerodynamics cause the wind to come from the back of the car, and wind blockers shield the wind to make for a less windy ride even w/the top down. They work as advertised, though I only know that from a BMW and not a Ferrari. I'll have to do more research on that :D

Thank you, Bob. Now I know. I always thought that wind was one of the benefits of a convertible or roadster...but I guess that ain't the case no mo'.

I'm tempted to take the thing off the model, just because I think it spoils the aesthetics of the car. But then, what do I know? I'm just a cantankerous old fart that likes OLD cars and trucks. :D

not that it applies or anything but convertables are way overrated.

ask yourself: if its 100 degrees outside do you want to stand in the shade or in the sun? not to mention with a 60mph wind and 100 degree ambient temp.

ive found the answer to be rather clear after owning convertables for 30 years: they are great in the evening but hell during the daytime.

and there is no such thing as "security" in them either. might as well just leave your doors unlocked.

anyway...i digress, continually

I drive a convertible year round; I never lock the doors, don't leave anything of value to steal, and when it's too hot I hit that button called "A/C" and leave the top up :wink: It's also nice to drive around w/the top up but the windows and rear window down; lots of breeze but no direct sunlight.

As for driving w/the top down and windows up, sometimes it's nice to have a little extra warmth and less wind but still open-air. My convertible has the best heater I've ever had in a car; it's a better winter car than my sedan because it heats up faster and is plenty warm. Of course it's a bit different living in the south where you can ride w/the top down all 12 months of the year (though Dec-Feb it's not too often). It's a fun car, I wouldn't feel the same w/o it. I know it's limitations, and the benefits outweigh the negatives. If you don't get it or don't like it, don't get a convertible!

It reminds me of a screen door in a submarine. Fly catcher? Something to keep yer girlfriend's long hair outta the engine compartment?

Maybe it's part of the cage they keep the mice in !

I have to agree with Ray top down,wind and bugs that's heaven.

I guess Foose will put them on the next deuce highboy he does ! POINTI~22.GIF